Bash on Windows

Andy Burnett
I know this may end with pitchforks and torches outside my house, but has anyone used Bash on Windows?  I run Win10 on my gaming rig and installed it a few weeks ago and....it's...not...that...bad... (so far).  Anyone else tried it out?  Thoughts?

Re: [Chugalug] Bash on Windows

Michael Scholten

I installed it on my work computer. I've been surprisingly pleased by it. Although to be honest I haven't really put it to the test.

I did try installing netatalk and setting up a Mac timemachine share point. That didn't work... I was able to make it work on an Ubuntu 16.04 server however.

I like using it for SSH as apposed to putty. Not that there is anything wrong with putty mind you.

On Wed, May 10, 2017, 7:19 PM Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been using it as well, and I'm thrilled.

On May 10, 2017 7:12 PM, "Andy Burnett" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know this may end with pitchforks and torches outside my house, but has
anyone used Bash on Windows?  I run Win10 on my gaming rig and installed it
a few weeks ago and....it's...not...that...bad... (so far).  Anyone else
tried it out?  Thoughts?

Re: [Chugalug] Bash on Windows

Benjamin Stewart
I'm curious to hear how it's better/worse/different from git bash on Windows, which has been available for a while now.

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 9:48 PM, Michael Scholten <[hidden email]> wrote:

I installed it on my work computer. I've been surprisingly pleased by it. Although to be honest I haven't really put it to the test.

I did try installing netatalk and setting up a Mac timemachine share point. That didn't work... I was able to make it work on an Ubuntu 16.04 server however.

I like using it for SSH as apposed to putty. Not that there is anything wrong with putty mind you.

On Wed, May 10, 2017, 7:19 PM Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been using it as well, and I'm thrilled.

On May 10, 2017 7:12 PM, "Andy Burnett" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know this may end with pitchforks and torches outside my house, but has
anyone used Bash on Windows?  I run Win10 on my gaming rig and installed it
a few weeks ago and....it's...not...that...bad... (so far).  Anyone else
tried it out?  Thoughts?

                              Benjamin Stewart

                               <o(((><
                               ><)))o>

Re: [Chugalug] [SPAM] Bash on Windows

David Mckendrick
It's really quite lovely, I wiped my hardware & used it full time for a
few weeks earlier in the year after abandoning macos.
I found there were far too many bugs wielding it with vagrant/virtual
machines but it looks like even those kinks are being worked on promptly.

Note there are still some caveats as far as filesystems (You can't edit
the linux files from windows for ex.) which impede most workflows, but
for your average user it's wonderful. I'm new here, so I'm alright with
saying Microsoft'll probably have the best version of linux before end
of year ;)

On 05/10/2017 07:12 PM, Andy Burnett wrote:

> I know this may end with pitchforks and torches outside my house, but has
> anyone used Bash on Windows?  I run Win10 on my gaming rig and installed it
> a few weeks ago and....it's...not...that...bad... (so far).  Anyone else
> tried it out?  Thoughts?

Re: [Chugalug] [SPAM] Bash on Windows

Jason Brown-2
I'm new here, so I'm alright with saying Microsoft'll probably have the best version of linux before end of year ;)

You must be new here.

1. Microsoft is always your enemy, even if they do something right.
2. Never read the whole post you are replying to. (See what I did there?)

--Jason

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:09 AM, David McKendrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's really quite lovely, I wiped my hardware & used it full time for a
few weeks earlier in the year after abandoning macos.
I found there were far too many bugs wielding it with vagrant/virtual
machines but it looks like even those kinks are being worked on promptly.

Note there are still some caveats as far as filesystems (You can't edit
the linux files from windows for ex.) which impede most workflows, but
for your average user it's wonderful. I'm new here, so I'm alright with
saying Microsoft'll probably have the best version of linux before end
of year ;)

On 05/10/2017 07:12 PM, Andy Burnett wrote:
> I know this may end with pitchforks and torches outside my house, but has
> anyone used Bash on Windows?  I run Win10 on my gaming rig and installed it
> a few weeks ago and....it's...not...that...bad... (so far).  Anyone else
> tried it out?  Thoughts?

Re: [Chugalug] [SPAM] Bash on Windows

Nick Smith

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Jason Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm new here, so I'm alright with saying Microsoft'll probably have the best version of linux before end of year ;)

You must be new here.

1. Microsoft is always your enemy, even if they do something right.
2. Never read the whole post you are replying to. (See what I did there?)

--Jason

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:09 AM, David McKendrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's really quite lovely, I wiped my hardware & used it full time for a
few weeks earlier in the year after abandoning macos.
I found there were far too many bugs wielding it with vagrant/virtual
machines but it looks like even those kinks are being worked on promptly.

Note there are still some caveats as far as filesystems (You can't edit
the linux files from windows for ex.) which impede most workflows, but
for your average user it's wonderful. I'm new here, so I'm alright with
saying Microsoft'll probably have the best version of linux before end
of year ;)

On 05/10/2017 07:12 PM, Andy Burnett wrote:
> I know this may end with pitchforks and torches outside my house, but has
> anyone used Bash on Windows?  I run Win10 on my gaming rig and installed it
> a few weeks ago and....it's...not...that...bad... (so far).  Anyone else
> tried it out?  Thoughts?

Re: [Chugalug] Bash on Windows

Andy Burnett
I want to get angry!  Let me grab my pitchfork and meet you all at Miller Plaza around midnight.  Let's storm the EPB building for no reason!

Re: [Chugalug] [SPAM] Bash on Windows

Lisa Ridley
I believe Microsoft is using containers to accomplish this.

On May 11, 2017, at 1:00 PM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Jason Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm new here, so I'm alright with saying Microsoft'll probably have the best version of linux before end of year ;)

You must be new here.

1. Microsoft is always your enemy, even if they do something right.
2. Never read the whole post you are replying to. (See what I did there?)

--Jason

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:09 AM, David McKendrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's really quite lovely, I wiped my hardware & used it full time for a
few weeks earlier in the year after abandoning macos.
I found there were far too many bugs wielding it with vagrant/virtual
machines but it looks like even those kinks are being worked on promptly.

Note there are still some caveats as far as filesystems (You can't edit
the linux files from windows for ex.) which impede most workflows, but
for your average user it's wonderful. I'm new here, so I'm alright with
saying Microsoft'll probably have the best version of linux before end
of year ;)

On 05/10/2017 07:12 PM, Andy Burnett wrote:
> I know this may end with pitchforks and torches outside my house, but has
> anyone used Bash on Windows?  I run Win10 on my gaming rig and installed it
> a few weeks ago and....it's...not...that...bad... (so far).  Anyone else
> tried it out?  Thoughts?

Re: [Chugalug] [SPAM] Bash on Windows

Dave Brockman
On 5/11/2017 1:21 PM, Lisa Ridley wrote:
> I believe Microsoft is using containers to accomplish this.

Yes, there is an article from MS somewhere with deeper technical
details.  It is basically container technology combined with system call
translations at the OS layer.  Similar to their old POSIX and OS/2
Subsystems circa NT40 days, with an entire OS distro thrown into the mix
as a container.

Re: [Chugalug] [SPAM] Bash on Windows

Alex Smith (K4RNT)
I think they use the Services for UNIX subsystem, formerly called Interix. However, this may have changed since the days of Windows 2000.

Sent with Mailtrack

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/11/2017 1:21 PM, Lisa Ridley wrote:
> I believe Microsoft is using containers to accomplish this.

Yes, there is an article from MS somewhere with deeper technical
details.  It is basically container technology combined with system call
translations at the OS layer.  Similar to their old POSIX and OS/2
Subsystems circa NT40 days, with an entire OS distro thrown into the mix
as a container.

Re: [Chugalug] [SPAM] Bash on Windows

Jason sed:

> 1. Microsoft is always your enemy, even if they do something right.

maybe the young'uns don't remember when Microsoft said "Linux is a Cancer"

Re: [Chugalug] [SPAM] Bash on Windows

David Mckendrick
I sure do :p — that was Steve Ballmer himself though —  I doubt the
sentiment was his alone, but things have changed.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ballmer-i-may-have-called-linux-a-cancer-but-now-i-love-it/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-microsoft-loves-linux/
http://open.microsoft.com/

Either way, it's interesting to see alterations in the way Microsoft
operates. I suspect before the end of the year, we'll see them either
acquire
canonical, redhat or a combination thereof.

On 5/11/2017 4:55 PM, David McKendrick wrote:
> Either way, it's interesting to see alterations in the way Microsoft
> operates. I suspect before the end of the year, we'll see them either
> acquire
> canonical, redhat or a combination thereof.

Canonical.  Shuttleworth has been grooming this for at least six months.

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 4:55 PM, David McKendrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
I sure do :p — that was Steve Ballmer himself though —  I doubt the
sentiment was his alone, but things have changed.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ballmer-i-may-have-called-linux-a-cancer-but-now-i-love-it/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-microsoft-loves-linux/
http://open.microsoft.com/

Either way, it's interesting to see alterations in the way Microsoft
operates. I suspect before the end of the year, we'll see them either
acquire
canonical, redhat or a combination thereof.

As a Red Hatter, I'll eat crow the day Microsoft acquires us.

Canonical...yeah thats probably pretty open to happen.

On 5/11/2017 5:14 PM, Lynn Dixon wrote:
> As a Red Hatter, I'll eat crow the day Microsoft acquires us.

Crow's not so bad.  It's not as tough as shoe leather...

> Canonical...yeah thats probably pretty open to happen.

I suspect RH is the end-game jewel for MS.  Canonical is a much easier
and willing competitor at this point.  My money says MS makes a play for
RH within 5 years of acquiring Canonical.  But not for the reasons you
think.

Re: [Chugalug] [SPAM] Bash on Windows

Lynn Dixon

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/11/2017 5:14 PM, Lynn Dixon wrote:
> As a Red Hatter, I'll eat crow the day Microsoft acquires us.

Crow's not so bad.  It's not as tough as shoe leather...

> Canonical...yeah thats probably pretty open to happen.

I suspect RH is the end-game jewel for MS.  Canonical is a much easier
and willing competitor at this point.  My money says MS makes a play for
RH within 5 years of acquiring Canonical.  But not for the reasons you
think.

People have been saying that MS has been courting RH for years now.  Our revenue was $2.4 Billion last year, while Canonical made $65 million.   With our culture, a MS acquisition would mean a massive brain drain as the majority of the talent would leave and do something else than be on-boarded by Microsoft.

On 5/11/2017 6:04 PM, Lynn Dixon wrote:

>     I suspect RH is the end-game jewel for MS.  Canonical is a much easier
>     and willing competitor at this point.  My money says MS makes a play for
>     RH within 5 years of acquiring Canonical.  But not for the reasons you
>     think.
>

> People have been saying that MS has been courting RH for years now.  Our
> revenue was $2.4 Billion last year, while Canonical made $65 million.
> With our culture, a MS acquisition would mean a massive brain drain as
> the majority of the talent would leave and do something else than be
> on-boarded by Microsoft.
As I said, Canonical is the path of least resistance.  MS does not want
RH for existing talent.  When it happens, it will be a play for
ecosystem control.