[Chugalug] 10GB home network

123

[Chugalug] 10GB home network

Dean Warren
Hey guys,
I have the opportunity to setup my home network with 10GB links to NAS and/or fiber links to my home network. I am interested in future proofing and wondered what I should consider for base line cabling in the home for things like video and smart home integration. I have viewed multiple youtube videos on 10GB peer-to-peer DAC connections and don't like the DAC length restraints but love the simplicity.

I only have a 1 Gig connection via fiber to ATT so this is much more about my internal network than anything else. Do you guys have recommendations for:
1. a home based network rack
2. 10gb switch and your suggested # of ports
3. preferred 10GB cards either 1 or 2 port
4. DAC and cabling vs RJ-45 via CAT-6a
5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...

Looking for ideas and comments...

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

Re: [Chugalug] 10GB home network

Aaron welch
This is useless for a home network. Let me explain why. Gigabit ethernet is 125 MB per second. 10 Gigabit Ethernet is 1250 MB per second. Explain to me what storage device you have in your home that can push even half of that to warrant the expense of installing 10 Gb Internet in your house.

Sent from my iPhone

wes

Re: [Chugalug] 10GB home network

wes
why climb that mountain?

because it's there!

-wes

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is useless for a home network. Let me explain why. Gigabit ethernet is 125 MB per second. 10 Gigabit Ethernet is 1250 MB per second. Explain to me what storage device you have in your home that can push even half of that to warrant the expense of installing 10 Gb Internet in your house.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Dean Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
> I have the opportunity to setup my home network with 10GB links to NAS and/or fiber links to my home network. I am interested in future proofing and wondered what I should consider for base line cabling in the home for things like video and smart home integration. I have viewed multiple youtube videos on 10GB peer-to-peer DAC connections and don't like the DAC length restraints but love the simplicity.
>
> I only have a 1 Gig connection via fiber to ATT so this is much more about my internal network than anything else. Do you guys have recommendations for:
> 1. a home based network rack
> 2. 10gb switch and your suggested # of ports
> 3. preferred 10GB cards either 1 or 2 port
> 4. DAC and cabling vs RJ-45 via CAT-6a
> 5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
> 6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...
>
> Looking for ideas and comments...
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren

Re: [Chugalug] 10GB home network

Michael Scholten
I suppose if you have the money to throw around…. However I agree with Aaron, unless you are running a bunch server/NAS boxes then is it justifiable to get the 10gig?

Having said that… Still somewhat jealous. I want 10gig. Not that I have a need for it but, I'd have 10gig! haha

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 4:39 PM, wes [hidden email] wrote:
why climb that mountain?

because it's there!

-wes

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is useless for a home network. Let me explain why. Gigabit ethernet is 125 MB per second. 10 Gigabit Ethernet is 1250 MB per second. Explain to me what storage device you have in your home that can push even half of that to warrant the expense of installing 10 Gb Internet in your house.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Dean Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
> I have the opportunity to setup my home network with 10GB links to NAS and/or fiber links to my home network. I am interested in future proofing and wondered what I should consider for base line cabling in the home for things like video and smart home integration. I have viewed multiple youtube videos on 10GB peer-to-peer DAC connections and don't like the DAC length restraints but love the simplicity.
>
> I only have a 1 Gig connection via fiber to ATT so this is much more about my internal network than anything else. Do you guys have recommendations for:
> 1. a home based network rack
> 2. 10gb switch and your suggested # of ports
> 3. preferred 10GB cards either 1 or 2 port
> 4. DAC and cabling vs RJ-45 via CAT-6a
> 5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
> 6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...
>
> Looking for ideas and comments...
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren

-Michael

Re: [Chugalug] 10GB home network

Eric Wolf
802.11ac maxes at 380 Mbps
802.11ad maxes at 6.75 Gbps
802.11ax will max at 10.15 Gbps (Dec 2018)
802.11ay will max at 100 Gbps (Nov 2019)

No cable changes necessary. Wifi is the future...

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is useless for a home network. Let me explain why. Gigabit ethernet is 125 MB per second. 10 Gigabit Ethernet is 1250 MB per second. Explain to me what storage device you have in your home that can push even half of that to warrant the expense of installing 10 Gb Internet in your house.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Dean Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
> I have the opportunity to setup my home network with 10GB links to NAS and/or fiber links to my home network. I am interested in future proofing and wondered what I should consider for base line cabling in the home for things like video and smart home integration. I have viewed multiple youtube videos on 10GB peer-to-peer DAC connections and don't like the DAC length restraints but love the simplicity.
>
> I only have a 1 Gig connection via fiber to ATT so this is much more about my internal network than anything else. Do you guys have recommendations for:
> 1. a home based network rack
> 2. 10gb switch and your suggested # of ports
> 3. preferred 10GB cards either 1 or 2 port
> 4. DAC and cabling vs RJ-45 via CAT-6a
> 5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
> 6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...
>
> Looking for ideas and comments...
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren

Re: [Chugalug] 10GB home network

Andrew Rodgers-2
Do tell how far that 802.11ad reaches...

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 5:01 PM Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
802.11ac maxes at 380 Mbps
802.11ad maxes at 6.75 Gbps
802.11ax will max at 10.15 Gbps (Dec 2018)
802.11ay will max at 100 Gbps (Nov 2019)

No cable changes necessary. Wifi is the future...

Eric B. Wolf                           <a href="tel:(720)%20334-7734" value="+17203347734" target="_blank">720-334-7734

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is useless for a home network. Let me explain why. Gigabit ethernet is 125 MB per second. 10 Gigabit Ethernet is 1250 MB per second. Explain to me what storage device you have in your home that can push even half of that to warrant the expense of installing 10 Gb Internet in your house.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Dean Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
> I have the opportunity to setup my home network with 10GB links to NAS and/or fiber links to my home network. I am interested in future proofing and wondered what I should consider for base line cabling in the home for things like video and smart home integration. I have viewed multiple youtube videos on 10GB peer-to-peer DAC connections and don't like the DAC length restraints but love the simplicity.
>
> I only have a 1 Gig connection via fiber to ATT so this is much more about my internal network than anything else. Do you guys have recommendations for:
> 1. a home based network rack
> 2. 10gb switch and your suggested # of ports
> 3. preferred 10GB cards either 1 or 2 port
> 4. DAC and cabling vs RJ-45 via CAT-6a
> 5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
> 6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...
>
> Looking for ideas and comments...
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren

Re: [Chugalug] 10GB home network

William D. Roush

Plus, the wiring is the cheap part, running all CAT6a/7 is no big deal and future proofs you hard. It’s the switches that’ll kill you.

I’m looking to move to 10gbe for my storage (iSCSI SAN, one of my ZFS pools is all flash, have pegged 2x1gbe in the past easily), going to grab a couple of Quanta lb6ms and go SFP+ because it seems to be the most economical route in a single rack setup (rest of the house doesn’t need 10gbe).

I do have some CAT6a in the walls just because though.

William Roush | https://www.roushtech.net/

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is useless for a home network. Let me explain why. Gigabit ethernet is 125 MB per second. 10 Gigabit Ethernet is 1250 MB per second. Explain to me what storage device you have in your home that can push even half of that to warrant the expense of installing 10 Gb Internet in your house.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Dean Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
> I have the opportunity to setup my home network with 10GB links to NAS and/or fiber links to my home network. I am interested in future proofing and wondered what I should consider for base line cabling in the home for things like video and smart home integration. I have viewed multiple youtube videos on 10GB peer-to-peer DAC connections and don't like the DAC length restraints but love the simplicity.
>
> I only have a 1 Gig connection via fiber to ATT so this is much more about my internal network than anything else. Do you guys have recommendations for:
> 1. a home based network rack
> 2. 10gb switch and your suggested # of ports
> 3. preferred 10GB cards either 1 or 2 port
> 4. DAC and cabling vs RJ-45 via CAT-6a
> 5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
> 6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...
>
> Looking for ideas and comments...
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren

Re: [Chugalug] 10GB home network

David White-2
Laugh all you want, but I'm one of those health nuts who thing Wifi is actually kinda bad for you. My wife's doctor (who knows what she's talking about) advised us to take it out completely. I configured my Ubiquiti AP to go off at 9pm, and it doesn't turn on again until 9am. That said, I'm even more suspicious of the wifi signals as they get stronger and faster. I know I'll be laughed out of Chugalug, but hey... I'll admit that I'm kind of a health nut.

I agree that the wire is the cheap part, and one of these days, I plan on running some cable to my wife's office as well as to the den / family room. We have a long Cat6 cable that we use if we're still watching a show or something after 9pm.

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 6:26 AM, William D. Roush <[hidden email]> wrote:

Plus, the wiring is the cheap part, running all CAT6a/7 is no big deal and future proofs you hard. It’s the switches that’ll kill you.

I’m looking to move to 10gbe for my storage (iSCSI SAN, one of my ZFS pools is all flash, have pegged 2x1gbe in the past easily), going to grab a couple of Quanta lb6ms and go SFP+ because it seems to be the most economical route in a single rack setup (rest of the house doesn’t need 10gbe).

I do have some CAT6a in the walls just because though.

William Roush | https://www.roushtech.net/

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is useless for a home network. Let me explain why. Gigabit ethernet is 125 MB per second. 10 Gigabit Ethernet is 1250 MB per second. Explain to me what storage device you have in your home that can push even half of that to warrant the expense of installing 10 Gb Internet in your house.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Dean Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
> I have the opportunity to setup my home network with 10GB links to NAS and/or fiber links to my home network. I am interested in future proofing and wondered what I should consider for base line cabling in the home for things like video and smart home integration. I have viewed multiple youtube videos on 10GB peer-to-peer DAC connections and don't like the DAC length restraints but love the simplicity.
>
> I only have a 1 Gig connection via fiber to ATT so this is much more about my internal network than anything else. Do you guys have recommendations for:
> 1. a home based network rack
> 2. 10gb switch and your suggested # of ports
> 3. preferred 10GB cards either 1 or 2 port
> 4. DAC and cabling vs RJ-45 via CAT-6a
> 5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
> 6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...
>
> Looking for ideas and comments...
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Re: [Chugalug] 10GB home network

William D. Roush

Can even completely disregarding the health discussion: wired is always more reliable and consistent and requires less messing with it when things are going poorly.

> [...]

> 5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
> 6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...
>
> Looking for ideas and comments...
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Jason Brown
That "Doctor" should have their license to practice revoked.

And on topic, I have a Netgear XS708E switch, still in the box I can sell for $600.

--Jason

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 7:56 AM, David White <[hidden email]> wrote:
Exactly!!!

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 7:53 AM, William D. Roush <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can even completely disregarding the health discussion: wired is always more reliable and consistent and requires less messing with it when things are going poorly.

William Roush | https://www.roushtech.net/

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is useless for a home network. Let me explain why. Gigabit ethernet is 125 MB per second. 10 Gigabit Ethernet is 1250 MB per second. Explain to me what storage device you have in your home that can push even half of that to warrant the expense of installing 10 Gb Internet in your house.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Dean Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
> I have the opportunity to setup my home network with 10GB links to NAS and/or fiber links to my home network. I am interested in future proofing and wondered what I should consider for base line cabling in the home for things like video and smart home integration. I have viewed multiple youtube videos on 10GB peer-to-peer DAC connections and don't like the DAC length restraints but love the simplicity.
>
> I only have a 1 Gig connection via fiber to ATT so this is much more about my internal network than anything else. Do you guys have recommendations for:
> 1. a home based network rack
> 2. 10gb switch and your suggested # of ports
> 3. preferred 10GB cards either 1 or 2 port
> 4. DAC and cabling vs RJ-45 via CAT-6a
> 5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
> 6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...
>
> Looking for ideas and comments...
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Re: [Chugalug] 10GB home network

Stephen Kraus
There is zero evidence for the dangers of WiFi, and regardless, there is higher frequency and power radio waves around you every day 24/7 365.

That doctor is a quack

On Jun 15, 2017 8:30 AM, "Jason Brown" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> 5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
> 6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...
>
> Looking for ideas and comments...
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

And as always, RationalWiki has a good article covering this:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Microwave

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> 5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
> 6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...
>
> Looking for ideas and comments...
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Lynn Dixon
The big difference between microwaves and radio waves is also in how they travel.  Radio waves typically as ground waves following the surface of the earth somewhat, or by reflection off of the ionosphere.   Microwaves travel line of sight and do not reflect off the ionosphere, both of these due to their very short wavelengths. The shorter the wavelength the less the propensity to travel through objects as well, which is why we will probably see some pretty crappy range performance with those higher 802.11** standards.

Another unique attribute of microwaves is that they are absorbed by moisture to a degree.  This is where a lot of those "quacks" come up with the dangerousness of microwave transmissions.  There is some science behind these theories, but it takes power levels and close distances that we just don't find in normal home electronics.  Our bodies readily absorbs all microwave transmissions. However, there just isn't enough energy being radiated by consumer electronics to cause any damage at normal exposure levels.

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Re: [Chugalug] 10GB home network

Stephen Kraus
"Radio waves typically as ground waves following the surface of the earth somewhat, or by reflection off of the ionosphere.   Microwaves travel line of sight and do not reflect off the ionospher"

Physics nitpick time:

These are the same things. Microwaves are a Subclass of Radio Waves, which are both Electromagnetic waves. And whether they bounce off the atmosphere is all a matter of their frequency. UHF radios readily cover the lower spectrum of Microwaves and are commonly used for military satcom, and GPS falls into the UHF spectrum.

Whether its a ground wave or reflected is a matter of its band and frequency, that's all. And technically, everything that transmits and recieves is a radio, including RADAR.

The ITU radio band covers everything from 30 khz to 3000 Ghz, which Microwave falls into the 300 Mhz to 300 Ghz range.

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> 5. Preferred AP brands for wireless
> 6. Things I haven't considered or outlined here...
>
> Looking for ideas and comments...
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Here's a fun map of all the radio reservations on the electromagnetic spectrum within the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:United_States_Frequency_Allocations_Chart_2011_-_The_Radio_Spectrum.pdf