[Chugalug] $200 -- I still (?!!?) have this Synology DS713+ for sale...

[Chugalug] $200 -- I still (?!!?) have this Synology DS713+ for sale...

David White-2
I've literally been trying to get rid of this thing for over 2 years.
And I know it still has value - just go look up this model on eBay or something.

Plex server!
VPN server!
Media server!
Build an intranet!
Back up your data!
Time Machine server!
And did I mention it is a NAS?
DVR for IP-based security cameras!

I'm dropping the price even further. $200, or make an offer.

No disks.

Want to see what (else) Synology can do, or have questions on how to do something? Take a look at some of my basic how-to PDF documents here: http://developcents.com/knowledge-base/#Synology

Re: [Chugalug] $200 -- I still (?!!?) have this Synology DS713+ for sale...

David White-2
Correction:
It feels like I've been trying to sell this thing for two years.

In reality, it's been less than a year.

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 7:41 AM David White <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've literally been trying to get rid of this thing for over 2 years.
And I know it still has value - just go look up this model on eBay or something.

Plex server!
VPN server!
Media server!
Build an intranet!
Back up your data!
Time Machine server!
And did I mention it is a NAS?
DVR for IP-based security cameras!

I'm dropping the price even further. $200, or make an offer.

No disks.

Want to see what (else) Synology can do, or have questions on how to do something? Take a look at some of my basic how-to PDF documents here: http://developcents.com/knowledge-base/#Synology

Re: [Chugalug] $200 -- I still (?!!?) have this Synology DS713+ for sale...

Phil Sieg
Uhhmmmm I have to be Captain Obvious, but why not ebay it?

Phil Sieg
Founder ring-u llc
Phone: 423.567.4888
Mobile: 423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds.

"Steve Jobs, 1955-2011
On Dec 1, 2018, at 7:47 AM, David White <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I may do that... I just hate messing with the hassle of all of that.

Also, last two times I tried to eBay something, someone won the bid, and then never paid for the item -- so that got annoying as well.

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 10:20 AM Phil Sieg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

kitepilot
Did move from Chattanooga to Houston?
Man, that's gotta hurt...    ;-)
ET

John Dills writes:

> Let me know if you still have it and are wanting to sell it on the 15th.
> I'm no longer in Chattanooga (I'm in Houston) but if you're willing to ship
> it I'm interested!
>
> On Sat, Dec 1, 2018, 9:27 AM David White <[hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I may do that... I just hate messing with the hassle of all of that.
>>
>> Also, last two times I tried to eBay something, someone won the bid, and
>> then never paid for the item -- so that got annoying as well.
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 10:20 AM Phil Sieg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Uhhmmmm I have to be Captain Obvious, but why not ebay it?
>>>
>>> Phil Sieg
>>> Founder ring-u llc
>>> www.ring-u.com
>>> [hidden email]
>>> Phone: 423.567.4888
>>> Mobile: 423.331.0725
>>>
>>> "The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with.
>>> It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds.

>> --
>> David White

Re: [Chugalug] $200 -- I still (?!!?) have this Synology DS713+ for sale...

John Dills
Aw! I like it here :)

John Dills writes:

> Let me know if you still have it and are wanting to sell it on the 15th.
> I'm no longer in Chattanooga (I'm in Houston) but if you're willing to ship
> it I'm interested!
>
> On Sat, Dec 1, 2018, 9:27 AM David White <[hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I may do that... I just hate messing with the hassle of all of that.
>>
>> Also, last two times I tried to eBay something, someone won the bid, and
>> then never paid for the item -- so that got annoying as well.
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 10:20 AM Phil Sieg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Uhhmmmm I have to be Captain Obvious, but why not ebay it?
>>>
>>> Phil Sieg
>>> Founder ring-u llc
>>> www.ring-u.com
>>> [hidden email]
>>> Phone: 423.567.4888
>>> Mobile: 423.331.0725
>>>
>>> "The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with.
>>> It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds.

>> --
>> David White

[Chugalug] Why I can't 'ssh -fCXY /usr/bin/gnome-terminal' ? Grrrrr....

kitepilot
Hello all:
This is so freaking odd that I'll explain it with a series of commands:

There are 2 computers involved, linuxbox (Mint Tara) and wincrap (Win 7).

In linuxbox I type:

etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT:~$
ssh -fCXY localhost xclock

And I get my banana (xclock starts)

Then

etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT:~$
ssh -fCXY localhost gnome-terminal

and (AMAZINGLY!!!!) I get another terminal window.
So far so good.
Linux is B-O-R-I-N-G...

Now we move to a cygwin shell in wincrap and I type:

etroconis@ETROCONIS-DT:~ $
DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT xclock

And (voila), predictably and reliably I again get my banana-clock,
so FINAL ACT:

etroconis@ETROCONIS-DT:~ $
DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT /usr/bin/gnome-terminal

But nope...    8(
My terminal never starts in the WinCrap box!

So, In summary:
Please look at the 2 lines together (can you tell the difference?)
DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT xclock
DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT /usr/bin/gnome-terminal

I know that things work locally.
I know that clock works remotely.
I know that gnome-terminal DOES NOT works remotely.
Does anybody have any idea why?   :(
Thanks for reading my rant...
ET

[Chugalug] UPDATE: Why I can't 'ssh -fCXY /usr/bin/gnome-terminal' ? Grrrrr....

kitepilot
The STUPID terminal is starting in the local box, so now the question is:
why is it ignoring the DISPLAY variable?
Grrrrrrr...
ET

[hidden email] writes:

> Hello all:
> This is so freaking odd that I'll explain it with a series of commands:
>
> There are 2 computers involved, linuxbox (Mint Tara) and wincrap (Win 7).
>
> In linuxbox I type:
>
> etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT:~$
> ssh -fCXY localhost xclock
>
> And I get my banana (xclock starts)
>
> Then
>
> etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT:~$
> ssh -fCXY localhost gnome-terminal
>
> and (AMAZINGLY!!!!) I get another terminal window.
> So far so good.
> Linux is B-O-R-I-N-G...
>
> Now we move to a cygwin shell in wincrap and I type:
>
> etroconis@ETROCONIS-DT:~ $
> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT xclock
>
> And (voila), predictably and reliably I again get my banana-clock,
> so FINAL ACT:
>
> etroconis@ETROCONIS-DT:~ $
> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT /usr/bin/gnome-terminal
>
> But nope...    8(
> My terminal never starts in the WinCrap box!
>
> So, In summary:
> Please look at the 2 lines together (can you tell the difference?)
> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT xclock
> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT /usr/bin/gnome-terminal
>
> I know that things work locally.
> I know that clock works remotely.
> I know that gnome-terminal DOES NOT works remotely.
> Does anybody have any idea why?   :(
> Thanks for reading my rant...
> ET

[Chugalug] SOLVED: Why I can't 'ssh -fCXY /usr/bin/gnome-terminal' ? Grrrrr....

kitepilot
I found the solution:
ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT '/usr/bin/gnome-terminal
 --disable-factory'

Works...
Go figure...   :(
ET

[hidden email] writes:

> The STUPID terminal is starting in the local box, so now the question is:
> why is it ignoring the DISPLAY variable?
> Grrrrrrr...
> ET
>
> [hidden email] writes:
>
>> Hello all:
>> This is so freaking odd that I'll explain it with a series of commands:
>>
>> There are 2 computers involved, linuxbox (Mint Tara) and wincrap (Win 7).
>>
>> In linuxbox I type:
>>
>> etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT:~$
>> ssh -fCXY localhost xclock
>>
>> And I get my banana (xclock starts)
>>
>> Then
>>
>> etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT:~$
>> ssh -fCXY localhost gnome-terminal
>>
>> and (AMAZINGLY!!!!) I get another terminal window.
>> So far so good.
>> Linux is B-O-R-I-N-G...
>>
>> Now we move to a cygwin shell in wincrap and I type:
>>
>> etroconis@ETROCONIS-DT:~ $
>> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT xclock
>>
>> And (voila), predictably and reliably I again get my banana-clock,
>> so FINAL ACT:
>>
>> etroconis@ETROCONIS-DT:~ $
>> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT /usr/bin/gnome-terminal
>>
>> But nope...    8(
>> My terminal never starts in the WinCrap box!
>>
>> So, In summary:
>> Please look at the 2 lines together (can you tell the difference?)
>> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT xclock
>> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT /usr/bin/gnome-terminal
>>
>> I know that things work locally.
>> I know that clock works remotely.
>> I know that gnome-terminal DOES NOT works remotely.
>> Does anybody have any idea why?   :(
>> Thanks for reading my rant...
>> ET

Re: [Chugalug] SOLVED: Why I can't 'ssh -fCXY /usr/bin/gnome-terminal' ? Grrrrr....

Billy
Sounds like the Xserver in Windows doesn’t support all the X11 features or extensions that gnome-terminal assumes are there.

--b

> On Dec 5, 2018, at 10:08 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I found the solution:
> ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT '/usr/bin/gnome-terminal --disable-factory'
> Works...
> Go figure...   :(
> ET
>
> [hidden email] writes:
>> The STUPID terminal is starting in the local box, so now the question is:
>> why is it ignoring the DISPLAY variable?
>> Grrrrrrr...
>> ET  [hidden email] writes:
>>> Hello all:
>>> This is so freaking odd that I'll explain it with a series of commands:   There are 2 computers involved, linuxbox (Mint Tara) and wincrap (Win 7).  In linuxbox I type:   etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT:~$
>>> ssh -fCXY localhost xclock   And I get my banana (xclock starts)   Then   etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT:~$
>>> ssh -fCXY localhost gnome-terminal   and (AMAZINGLY!!!!) I get another terminal window.
>>> So far so good.
>>> Linux is B-O-R-I-N-G...   Now we move to a cygwin shell in wincrap and I type:   etroconis@ETROCONIS-DT:~ $
>>> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT xclock   And (voila), predictably and reliably I again get my banana-clock,
>>> so FINAL ACT:   etroconis@ETROCONIS-DT:~ $
>>> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT /usr/bin/gnome-terminal   But nope...    8(
>>> My terminal never starts in the WinCrap box!   So, In summary:
>>> Please look at the 2 lines together (can you tell the difference?)
>>> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT xclock
>>> DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT /usr/bin/gnome-terminal   I know that things work locally.
>>> I know that clock works remotely.
>>> I know that gnome-terminal DOES NOT works remotely.
>>> Does anybody have any idea why?   :(
>>> Thanks for reading my rant...
>>> ET

Re: [Chugalug] SOLVED: Why I can't 'ssh -fCXY /usr/bin/gnome-terminal' ? Grrrrr....

kitepilot
> Sounds like the Xserver in Windows doesn’t support all the X11
> features or extensions that gnome-terminal assumes are there.
Nope, that's not the problem, it's a gnome booboo.
Once I added the switch, it worked perfectly.
The story is longer than that, feel free to research it.
Best!
ET

> --b
>
>> On Dec 5, 2018, at 10:08 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I found the solution:
>> ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT '/usr/bin/gnome-terminal --disable-factory'
>> Works...
>> Go figure...   :(
>> ET
>>
>> [hidden email] writes:
>>> The STUPID terminal is starting in the local box, so now the question is:
>>> why is it ignoring the DISPLAY variable?
>>> Grrrrrrr...

Re: [Chugalug] SOLVED: Why I can't 'ssh -fCXY /usr/bin/gnome-terminal' ? Grrrrr....

Billy
So according to this[1], gnome-terminal appears to be creating a dbus instance to handle multiple gnome-terminal windows from the same instance.

That also means it won’t connect to multiple X11 endpoints if it’s using the dbus to launch - the first terminal instance will just use its X11 endpoint for all new terminal requests.

Also the disable-factory option was undocumented and removed at some point, but Ubuntu 16.04 added a python wrapper[2] to mimic the old option to basically create its own dbus instance with a randomized name to launch its own gnome terminal - thus allowing multiple terminal instances to connect to multiple X11 endpoints.

2: https://gist.github.com/ecatmur/00893506a23e828c6688

--b

ET  [hidden email] writes:
[...]

Is it my imagination or is it for real that some people is hellbent in
'windownizing' Linux?
No amount of anything (money included) would force me to run systemd in an
Internet-facing server.
And this is getting more difficult by the minute, maybe it is time to dust
off my LFS scripts...   :(
ET

Billy writes:

> So according to this[1], gnome-terminal appears to be creating a dbus instance to handle multiple gnome-terminal windows from the same instance.
>
> That also means it won’t connect to multiple X11 endpoints if it’s using the dbus to launch - the first terminal instance will just use its X11 endpoint for all new terminal requests.
>
> Also the disable-factory option was undocumented and removed at some point, but Ubuntu 16.04 added a python wrapper[2] to mimic the old option to basically create its own dbus instance with a randomized name to launch its own gnome terminal - thus allowing multiple terminal instances to connect to multiple X11 endpoints.
>
> 1: https://askubuntu.com/questions/729034/gnome-terminal-disable-factory-support-problem
> 2: https://gist.github.com/ecatmur/00893506a23e828c6688
>
> --b
>
> On Dec 6, 2018, at 4:45 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>> Sounds like the Xserver in Windows doesn’t support all the X11
>>> features or extensions that gnome-terminal assumes are there.
>> Nope, that's not the problem, it's a gnome booboo.
>> Once I added the switch, it worked perfectly.
>> The story is longer than that, feel free to research it.
>> Best!
>> ET
>>

>>> --b

Re: [Chugalug] SOLVED: Why I can't 'ssh -fCXY /usr/bin/gnome-terminal' ? Grrrrr....

Billy
Disclaimer: I work for Red Hat. Fedora, CentOs, RHEL 7&8 all use systemd.

* “What I find puzzling about all this is that even though everyone admits that sysvinit needed replacing and many people dislike systemd, the distributions keep adopting it. Only a few distributions, including SlackwareGentooPCLinuxOS, and Chrome OS, haven't adopted it.” [1]

* The Biggest Myths of systemd [2] by Lennart Poettering.

* Distros using it by default: Arch Linux, CoreOs (pre and post acquisition), CentOs, Debian, Fedora, Mageia, Mint, OpenSuse, RHEL, Solus, SLES, Ubuntu. [3]

* My notes and opinion:
I have customers using it in production that are in the Fortune 500. They use it on thousands of systems. One of the customers I’ve worked with (not mine) manages 60,000 RHEL and Suse servers - (all running systemd).

I have a customer managing thousands (2000+) of remote locations with systemd enabled VMs at each site (RHEL7).

I have hospitals and healthcare orgs running systemd enabled systems that monitor patient information: from diabetes, to cancer, to paying claims, and managing care schedules. One (global healthcare) just rolled out a new solution, built on our technology (including RHEL7) that has been verified to have saved the lives of 7,500 patients in the past 6 months.

I have manufactures using systemd enabled systems to build cars, elevators, and handle repair schedules, billing, and customer facing web sites.

So, I say all this, because there ARE plenty of organizations out there that are using Linux in big, expensive, and massively scalable ways - and systemd is NOT an issue, nor even a concern for them.

At the end of the day, does the platform enable them to make more widgets, reduce operational costs, and improve customer or patient experience? Aka: does it enable the business to be the best business it can be?

The answer is yes. As Linus said in the article [1] - the rest is just details.

--b

On Dec 7, 2018, at 10:21 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

Is it my imagination or is it for real that some people is hellbent in 'windownizing' Linux?
No amount of anything (money included) would force me to run systemd in an Internet-facing server.
And this is getting more difficult by the minute, maybe it is time to dust off my LFS scripts...   :(
ET

So according to this[1], gnome-terminal appears to be creating a dbus instance to handle multiple gnome-terminal windows from the same instance. That also means it won’t connect to multiple X11 endpoints if it’s using the dbus to launch - the first terminal instance will just use its X11 endpoint for all new terminal requests. Also the disable-factory option was undocumented and removed at some point, but Ubuntu 16.04 added a python wrapper[2] to mimic the old option to basically create its own dbus instance with a randomized name to launch its own gnome terminal - thus allowing multiple terminal instances to connect to multiple X11 endpoints. 1: https://askubuntu.com/questions/729034/gnome-terminal-disable-factory-support-problem
ET  [hidden email] writes:
[...]

Lynn Dixon
I am also a Red Hatter (Work for Red Hat).

At first I didn't like systemd when I was first exposed to it (which was before I was a Red Hatter), but the more I used it the more I actually liked it.  The verbosity in why a service fails to start for example is pretty awesome.  I can quickly diagnose why httpd or postgresql didn't start correctly at the micro level.  I have recently written a systemd service file in one of the projects I started on my github:  https://github.com/lynndixon/LiveSectional

I was pretty shocked at how easy it was to create a powerful systemd service that would launch, monitor and restart my sort-of-janky python daemon service for me automatically.  Granted this is my first foray into Python and my code is pretty rough, but having systemd so easily monitor it and restart the daemon when my crappy python code breaks was a pleasant bit of work.

Now being a Red Hatter, I also work with very very large customers that love and use systemd / RHEL daily.  I'd have to +1 everything Billy said.  Folks use it and like it every day in the enterprise. It scales superbly, and does what it needs to do.

ET  [hidden email] writes:
Hello all:
This is so freaking odd that I'll explain it with a series of commands:   There are 2 computers involved, linuxbox (Mint Tara) and wincrap (Win 7).  In linuxbox I type:   etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT:~$
ssh -fCXY localhost xclock   And I get my banana (xclock starts)   Then   etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT:~$
ssh -fCXY localhost gnome-terminal   and (AMAZINGLY!!!!) I get another terminal window.
So far so good.
Linux is B-O-R-I-N-G...   Now we move to a cygwin shell in wincrap and I type:   etroconis@ETROCONIS-DT:~ $
DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT xclock   And (voila), predictably and reliably I again get my banana-clock,
so FINAL ACT:   etroconis@ETROCONIS-DT:~ $
DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT /usr/bin/gnome-terminal   But nope...    8(
My terminal never starts in the WinCrap box!   So, In summary:
Please look at the 2 lines together (can you tell the difference?)
DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT xclock
DISPLAY=:0.0 ssh -fCXY etroconis@ETROCONIS02-DT /usr/bin/gnome-terminal   I know that things work locally.
I know that clock works remotely.
I know that gnome-terminal DOES NOT works remotely.
Does anybody have any idea why?   :(
Thanks for reading my rant...
ET

Re: [Chugalug] SOLVED: Why I can't 'ssh -fCXY /usr/bin/gnome-terminal' ? Grrrrr....

>One (global healthcare) just rolled out a new solution, built on our technology (including RHEL7) that has been verified to have saved the lives of 7,500 patients in the past 6 months.

Saved it or prolonged it?    I thought we all had to exit(0) or exit(1) eventually

Re: [Chugalug] SOLVED: Why I can't 'ssh -fCXY /usr/bin/gnome-terminal' ? Grrrrr....

Stephen Kraus
They used a Turboencapulator to implement the solution, I'm sure of it

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018, 1:29 PM Ed King <[hidden email] wrote:
>One (global healthcare) just rolled out a new solution, built on our technology (including RHEL7) that has been verified to have saved the lives of 7,500 patients in the past 6 months.

Saved it or prolonged it?    I thought we all had to exit(0) or exit(1) eventually

Re: [Chugalug] SOLVED: Why I can't 'ssh -fCXY /usr/bin/gnome-terminal' ? Grrrrr....

Billy
Let’s just say it prevented an exception or segfault, and allows their life thread to complete whatever work it needs to accomplish.

--b