[Chugalug] Another switcher from Windows to Linux

[Chugalug] Another switcher from Windows to Linux

Phil Shapiro
   A longtime Windows geek friend of mine told me this morning that his middle school son's three year old Windows laptop was acting sluggish and the son was begging his dad for a new laptop.  Dad, wanting to foster independence with his son, said, "Why don't you try installing Ubuntu Linux and see if that makes your laptop more responsive."

     The kid (a middle school student) installed Ubuntu Linux on his own and now loves his laptop. Dad was going to help him dual-boot Windows and Linux, but the kid said he'd prefer to install Linux only on the laptop.

      Now the two younger siblings in the family are begging to install Linux on their laptops. The middle school son has created bootable USB drives for his young siblings for now.  It's only a matter of time before the young one's say: "No more bootable USB drives for me."

          Anyway, just wanted to share this story. I just wasn't expecting to hear such a story from my friend. My response? Your kids will now have something in common with the smartest tech geeks at their school - who invariably use Linux.  They'll also be well equipped to dive head first into the maker movement at any makerspace. My friend's response to me: "You're right."

                phil

--
Phil Shapiro, [hidden email]
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html

"Wisdom begins with wonder." - Socrates
"Learning happens thru gentleness."

Re: [Chugalug] Another switcher from Windows to Linux

Rod-Lists
Good to hear. I hope they don't run into someone at school who insists they have to use a window program.
My nephew had an assignment to do a power point. He tried to do it in impress but the instructor didn't know how to open it.
I told mty nephew to export to HTML or PDF.

He redid it using prezi (web based app).

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 11:50:45 -0400, Phil Shapiro <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Eric Wolf
When I was "middle school" age (in Texas they have Junior High), I would have loved to get my hands on Ubuntu and the world of FOSS games... instead, I was typing program listings into my VIC-20 from Compute! magazine (and debugging the typos).

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734