[Chugalug] Apple is dead to me

Chad Smith
$300 Apple Book - http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLXF2LL/A/designed-by-apple-in-california-102-x-128-inches

$160 Apple Airpods (aka things that will fall out of your ear and be lost forever) - http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2/airpods

And the overall drive to remove functionality in the name of "bravery" and "progress" - like no headphone jack on a CELL PHONE or only one port on a laptop -- that has no optical drive, card slots, or FUNCTION KEYS....  With soldered on RAM that maxes out at 16 GB and glued in batteries.

Apple pretty much died with Jobs.  Which makes me sad.

The operating system and 1st party apps are great.  The hardware is overpriced, under-powered, not-user-friendly, unrepairable, unupgradable, and disposable.

Why, Apple, Why?!?

Re: [Chugalug] Apple is dead to me

Jonathan Calloway
I think it's obvious that the iPad is Apple's computer.  A lot of folks are hopeful that a new Mac Pro is coming and that there may be new Mac Book Pros that have updates CPUs etc after the first of the year.  I doubt that will ever happen.  At this point, I doubt there will be anything new that is not mobile.  Like the lack of headphone jacks and USB ports get used to it!

That being said, what will your next laptop desktop next computer be?

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 21, 2016, at 4:34 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Lisa Ridley
My MacBook Pro is two years old, so it will be a bit before I invest in another computer.

I have historically been a big Apple fangirl but the changes they have made in the last few years to their computing lineup are leaving me a bit cold.  The battery life is the only thing I like about it right now.

When I buy my next laptop, it will be something lightweight, with good battery life, a large SSD, quad core, 32G RAM, and will be running Linux (don’t know what flavor yet but it will be Docker friendly) — hell I spend all my time at the command line anyway, usually shelled into a Linux Virtualbox VM or executing Docker commands.  The only time I use the GUI is to launch a browser or another application, like a mail client, Slack client, PHPStorm or Docker for Mac.

On Nov 22, 2016, at 4:44 PM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tom Wilson

That's where I am now.

Next one is going to be a ThinkPad P50.

Love MacOS but I don't want to support Apple's latest fetishes.

On 11/21/16 4:25 PM, Chad Smith wrote:
$300 Apple Book - http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLXF2LL/A/designed-by-apple-in-california-102-x-128-inches

$160 Apple Airpods (aka things that will fall out of your ear and be lost forever) - http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2/airpods

And the overall drive to remove functionality in the name of "bravery" and "progress" - like no headphone jack on a CELL PHONE or only one port on a laptop -- that has no optical drive, card slots, or FUNCTION KEYS....  With soldered on RAM that maxes out at 16 GB and glued in batteries.

Apple pretty much died with Jobs.  Which makes me sad.

The operating system and 1st party apps are great.  The hardware is overpriced, under-powered, not-user-friendly, unrepairable, unupgradable, and disposable.

Why, Apple, Why?!?

Re: [Chugalug] Apple is dead to me

Lynn Dixon

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Tom Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's where I am now.

Next one is going to be a ThinkPad P50.

Love MacOS but I don't want to support Apple's latest fetishes.

Lenovo has gone way downhill lately, since IBM sold them off.  The Thinkpad lines have also deprecated.  My company supplies is with Thinkpads, and even the newer ones just aren't built like they used to be.

[...]

You know that’s the thing. . . as “down hill” as Lenovo is (not disagreeing with you at all Lynn), their stuff is still better than HP, ASUS, Acer, Samsung and Toshiba.  I was really hoping that Apple’s competition in hardware would really come around and design better and more competitive hardware, but all they really seemed to do was copy Apple’s designs, just using plastic instead of aluminum (inspired by Johnny Ive).

My MBP is a 2012, it’s got 16 GB of RAM.  I really wish I could add more RAM, but I think that I may be putting in a 1TB SSD in 2017.  Maybe that will give me two or three more years.

That is, unless someone has a better idea. . . (hey, it’s why I started the thread!!)

<JC>

On Nov 22, 2016, at 5:08 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

- Chad W. Smith

Re: [Chugalug] Apple is dead to me

Chad Smith
<_<

......pretty sure I started the thread.....

>_>

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I already bought my "next" computer - it was a Dell Desktop "Gaming" PC from Microcenter.

I needed it after my last (in more ways than one) MacBook Pro died.

I can't say I've been more productive than I was on my Mac --- but I do game a lot more.  :D

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
That being said, what will your next laptop desktop next computer be?

Re: [Chugalug] Apple is dead to me

Oh, sorry. . gotta give the credit where the credit is due. .

Eh hm. . let me re-phrase.. .

. . “This is why I replied to this thread. . . “

<JC>

On Nov 22, 2016, at 6:10 PM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

<_<

......pretty sure I started the thread.....

>_>

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
You know that’s the thing. . . as “down hill” as Lenovo is (not disagreeing with you at all Lynn), their stuff is still better than HP, ASUS, Acer, Samsung and Toshiba.  I was really hoping that Apple’s competition in hardware would really come around and design better and more competitive hardware, but all they really seemed to do was copy Apple’s designs, just using plastic instead of aluminum (inspired by Johnny Ive).

My MBP is a 2012, it’s got 16 GB of RAM.  I really wish I could add more RAM, but I think that I may be putting in a 1TB SSD in 2017.  Maybe that will give me two or three more years.

That is, unless someone has a better idea. . . (hey, it’s why I started the thread!!)

<JC>

On Nov 22, 2016, at 5:08 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Tom Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's where I am now.

Next one is going to be a ThinkPad P50.

Love MacOS but I don't want to support Apple's latest fetishes.

Lenovo has gone way downhill lately, since IBM sold them off.  The Thinkpad lines have also deprecated.  My company supplies is with Thinkpads, and even the newer ones just aren't built like they used to be.

On 11/21/16 4:25 PM, Chad Smith wrote:
$300 Apple Book - http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLXF2LL/A/designed-by-apple-in-california-102-x-128-inches

$160 Apple Airpods (aka things that will fall out of your ear and be lost forever) - http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2/airpods

And the overall drive to remove functionality in the name of "bravery" and "progress" - like no headphone jack on a CELL PHONE or only one port on a laptop -- that has no optical drive, card slots, or FUNCTION KEYS....  With soldered on RAM that maxes out at 16 GB and glued in batteries.

Apple pretty much died with Jobs.  Which makes me sad.

The operating system and 1st party apps are great.  The hardware is overpriced, under-powered, not-user-friendly, unrepairable, unupgradable, and disposable.

Why, Apple, Why?!?

- Chad W. Smith

Re: [Chugalug] Apple is dead to me

Lisa Ridley
Yeah if I could get a MBPro with 32g RAM I would buy another one, put Linux on it.

I may put Linux on the one I have, get myself around these damn Docker NFS sync issues.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 22, 2016, at 5:58 PM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Eric Wolf
I just priced out a P50 with my employee discount (now that I'm part of Netapp):

Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 CPU
Windows 10 Pro
15.6 4K display (3840x2160)
64GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4GB GPU
1TB SSD PCIe-NVMe

$1988.35.

Those specs are similar to a Mac Pro. You can't even approach this with a MacBook Pro.

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but that P50 is a tank of a laptop.  Its 1 to 2 pounds heavier, twice as thick, and has less battery life.   For someone like me that travels very frequently, lugging that beast around gets to sucking pretty quickly, especially in the TSA lines.

Thats currently the biggest thing I love about my 2014 MBP.  Its super durable, and very easy to travel with.  And it has superb battery life, I still get a full 8 hours out of it 2 years later.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just priced out a P50 with my employee discount (now that I'm part of Netapp):

Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 CPU
Windows 10 Pro
15.6 4K display (3840x2160)
64GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4GB GPU
1TB SSD PCIe-NVMe

$1988.35.

Those specs are similar to a Mac Pro. You can't even approach this with a MacBook Pro.

Eric B. Wolf                           <a href="tel:720-334-7734" value="+17203347734" target="_blank">720-334-7734

[...]

Dave Brockman
On 11/22/2016 6:45 PM, Lynn Dixon wrote:
> Yeah, but that P50 is a tank of a laptop.  Its 1 to 2 pounds heavier,
> twice as thick, and has less battery life.   For someone like me that
> travels very frequently, lugging that beast around gets to sucking
> pretty quickly, especially in the TSA lines.
>
> Thats currently the biggest thing I love about my 2014 MBP.  Its super
> durable, and very easy to travel with.  And it has superb battery life,
> I still get a full 8 hours out of it 2 years later.

Battery Life, weight --------------- Performance

Laptops have always had to live between two worlds.  It's kinda like
picking your DnD alignment.

Re: [Chugalug] Apple is dead to me

Eric Wolf
Yeah. I don't travel as much as I used to. I just want something I can move from the kitchen table to the couch to my desk. And even though the specs on that P50 beast are impressive, I'll probably buy a cheap (< $700) "gaming" laptop because it will be a step up from what I've got (2012 pre-Retina MacBook Pro). And one of the things I want is something I have easily play games on again. I have a good Linux workstation on my desk.

Apple hit the sweet spot with the 2013-2015 Retina MacBook Pro. I think everyone was hoping for something truly better with the new MBP. Instead, what they got was a better MacBook Air but priced like the MacBook Pro.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah. I don't travel as much as I used to. I just want something I can move from the kitchen table to the couch to my desk. And even though the specs on that P50 beast are impressive, I'll probably buy a cheap (< $700) "gaming" laptop because it will be a step up from what I've got (2012 pre-Retina MacBook Pro). And one of the things I want is something I have easily play games on again. I have a good Linux workstation on my desk.

Apple hit the sweet spot with the 2013-2015 Retina MacBook Pro. I think everyone was hoping for something truly better with the new MBP. Instead, what they got was a better MacBook Air but priced like the MacBook Pro.

Agreed 100%.  This 2014 has plenty of performance when it comes to CPU and GPU. It has the 2.5 GHz i7 proc.  I just wished it had 32 gig of ram, and thats seriously my ONLY gripe about this thing.  I run a ton of VM's when I am demoing our cloud products to customers, or tinkering on a solution but I have never had any performance issues related to the CPU.  I do run our of headroom on RAM though.  32 gig would be perfect for me, and if I could magically insert 32 gig in this machine, I would probably run it another 3 or 4 years.  I also love the HengeDock that I have for it, so I can literally just slip/drop the thing into the dock and have a full fledged desktop on my 34" display.

If Apple had given us 32 GB on the new model, I probably would have bought one, despite it not having SD card and no legacy USB port.  There are rumors buzzing that once the new Intel chips are released, Apple with revise the MBP to support 32 gig.  I might just be enticed at that point.  Especially given the 10 hour battery they are touting.

-Eric

[...]

Rumors of new Macs coming after Intel’s next rev have been swirling for years. . . and years. . . . . . . . . . and years.

<JC>

On Nov 22, 2016, at 7:04 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Eric B. Wolf                           <a href="tel:720-334-7734" value="+17203347734" target="_blank" class="">720-334-7734

[...]

Keith
I've had three HP Elitebooks for work and the first two I liked even though they were thick and heavy. This last one got thinner and lighter, but it actually has performance problems, the display sucks, and it's all plastic. I am not impressed. Also they have all had serious battery life issues after two years.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 9:50 PM Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Eric B. Wolf                           <a href="tel:720-334-7734" value="+17203347734" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">720-334-7734