[Chugalug] Back on Linux...

Mike Harrison-4
After a few years of using a Mac as my primary desktop and Linux for servers and weird things, I made a "Elementary" my primary desktop yesterday.

Only weird thing so far has been setting what runs what in Chrome via a command line still.
  xdg-mime default vlc.desktop audio/x-mpegurl     (allows me to stream my fav net radio via VLC easily)

Things I actually use daily on this:

   Pantheon terminal

   Evolution Mail (still sucks.. but.. about the same as Mac's Mail for me)

   Firefox, Chrome, Etc..

   VLC (thank $Diety for VLC!)

   My usual command line tools...

Re: [Chugalug] Back on Linux...

Jonathan Calloway
This is interesting to me because I have been watching Evolution for a few years now.  I’m glad they moved away from the “we just run off old versions of Ubuntu so you can’t get the latest packages” thing.  For me, I’ve always felt that Geary was closer to Apple Mail then Evolution, and that Evolution is closer to Outlook.

Out of pure curiosity, what hardware are you running on?

<JC>

> On Sep 6, 2017, at 7:40 AM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> After a few years of using a Mac as my primary desktop and Linux for servers and weird things, I made a "Elementary" my primary desktop yesterday.
>
> Only weird thing so far has been setting what runs what in Chrome via a command line still.
>   xdg-mime default vlc.desktop audio/x-mpegurl     (allows me to stream my fav net radio via VLC easily)
>
> Things I actually use daily on this:
>
>    Pantheon terminal
>
>    Evolution Mail (still sucks.. but.. about the same as Mac's Mail for me)
>
>    Firefox, Chrome, Etc..
>
>    VLC (thank $Diety for VLC!)
>
>    My usual command line tools...

Re: [Chugalug] Back on Linux...

Jonathan Calloway
Oh, and can you give a little more detail as to why you chose Elementary?

<JC>

> On Sep 6, 2017, at 8:06 AM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is interesting to me because I have been watching Evolution for a few years now.  I’m glad they moved away from the “we just run off old versions of Ubuntu so you can’t get the latest packages” thing.  For me, I’ve always felt that Geary was closer to Apple Mail then Evolution, and that Evolution is closer to Outlook.
>
> Out of pure curiosity, what hardware are you running on?
>
> <JC>
>

>> On Sep 6, 2017, at 7:40 AM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> After a few years of using a Mac as my primary desktop and Linux for servers and weird things, I made a "Elementary" my primary desktop yesterday.
>>
>> Only weird thing so far has been setting what runs what in Chrome via a command line still.
>>  xdg-mime default vlc.desktop audio/x-mpegurl     (allows me to stream my fav net radio via VLC easily)
>>
>> Things I actually use daily on this:
>>
>>   Pantheon terminal
>>
>>   Evolution Mail (still sucks.. but.. about the same as Mac's Mail for me)
>>
>>   Firefox, Chrome, Etc..
>>
>>   VLC (thank $Diety for VLC!)
>>
>>   My usual command line tools...

Re: [Chugalug] Back on Linux...

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 07:40:52 -0400
Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>    Evolution Mail (still sucks.. but.. about the same as Mac's Mail
> for me)

Claws sucks in different ways, but is the closest thing to Pine or Elm
with a GUI that I've found, and I'm still happy with it.

Re: [Chugalug] Back on Linux...

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is interesting to me because I have been watching Evolution for a few years now. I’m glad they moved away from the “we just run off old versions of Ubuntu so you can’t get the latest packages” thing. For me, I’ve always felt that Geary was closer to Apple Mail then Evolution, and that Evolution is closer to Outlook. Out of pure curiosity, what hardware are you running on?

I may have to try Geary.. So far, Evolution is working, but I'm not needing to do anything fancy. Will try to add GPG and such later.

I keep a few laptops around for projects, and had installed mint and a few distro's. Elementary was something I've installed more than once.. and seemed to "just work" for what I needed. The earlier versions had some rough edges, but it kept getting better. It's kinda-MacOS-like, very polished in places I use things every day. For the rest, there is a command line.

 Current hardware: HP Envy laptop with 16gb ram, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz and a 1tb SSD/spinner hybrid drive.
 driving a huge 4k monitor as a desktop.

 It also works well in a Lenovo T400s with 4gb of ram and a Duo-Core that was recently bought for $50. (thanks Chugalug)  Which, I like that it runs on less than kicking hardware.

Re: [Chugalug] Back on Linux...

Jonathan Calloway
I put an SSD in my 2011 15” MacBook Pro at Christmas time.  I’m hoping it gives me at least another 3 years of life or so.  That said, I’m already thinking about what I may do when I get to the point where I need a new laptop.  I may even replace my server hardware (Mac Pro 2k8 currently) and run oVirt but I’m not quite sure yet.

If I do, I’ll probably stick with Fedora, since it is what I’m used to.  However, I’m still curious about why you chose Elementary over all the other distress out there and I’m always interested in what laptops / hardware solutions people are using to run *nix on these days.

<JC>

> On Sep 6, 2017, at 3:56 PM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is interesting to me because I have been watching Evolution for a few years now.  I´m glad they moved away from the “we just run off old versions of Ubuntu so you can´t get the latest packages” thing.  For me, I´ve always felt that Geary was closer to Apple Mail then Evolution, and that Evolution is closer to Outlook.
>>
>> Out of pure curiosity, what hardware are you running on?
>
> I may have to try Geary.. So far, Evolution is working, but I'm not needing to do anything fancy. Will try to add GPG and such later.
>
> I keep a few laptops around for projects, and had installed mint and a few distro's. Elementary was something I've installed more than once.. and seemed to "just work" for what I needed. The earlier versions had some rough edges, but it kept getting better. It's kinda-MacOS-like, very polished in places I use things every day. For the rest, there is a command line.
>
>  Current hardware: HP Envy laptop with 16gb ram, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz and a 1tb SSD/spinner hybrid drive.
>  driving a huge 4k monitor as a desktop.
>
>  It also works well in a Lenovo T400s with 4gb of ram and a Duo-Core that was recently bought for $50. (thanks Chugalug)  Which, I like that it runs on less than kicking hardware.

Re: [Chugalug] Back on Linux...

Adam Jimerson
I may have to try Geary.. So far, Evolution is working, but I'm not needing to do anything fancy. Will try to add GPG and such later.

Geary is interesting to say the least, it has a clean and simple (too simple in some regards) interface, one advantage it has in my book is it is a modern-ish email client that is not built on a friggen Javascript stack so it gets a +1 from me there.  One downside is I don't think it supports GPG so if that matters to you Geary may not work.