[Chugalug] Chugalug mentioned in story

Mike Harrison-4

Chugalug makes the news:

http://www.chattanoogatrend.com/topics/entry/trailblazing-through-telecom-an-interview-with-ring-u-founders-phil-sieg-mi

The Chugalug part of the story (the rest is at the link above):

Trend: How did you two meet? What common interests do you share?

Phil: Ten years ago, I went online looking for some local geeks to help me with an idea I had, to see if it would prove to be a good business. I found a local mailing list online called Chugalug.

Mike: It’s the geekiest group of geeky people in town.

Phil: Mike had founded that group and maintained the mail sever, so I sent him an email and told him what I was trying to do. He welcomed me to the group and gave me some people to contact who knew about what I was interested in. So I became a member of Chugalug, and eventually met Harrison in person at one of the lunches—

Mike: —Chuga-lunches.

Phil: Yeah, so Harrison and I got to be friends through Chugalug, and have known each other since. I sold a company last year and needed to do something new. The timing was good for Harrison, and that’s how we got to where we’re at with Ring-u.

Re: [Chugalug] Chugalug mentioned in story

Eric Wolf
Before Chugalug, there was CHIA. Before CHIA, I think there was a Fidonet something or other? My memory fails to connect at less than 2400 baud.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Lynn Dixon

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Before Chugalug, there was CHIA. Before CHIA, I think there was a Fidonet something or other? My memory fails to connect at less than 2400 baud.

It's just buffer bloat :-)  Happens as time passes.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           <a href="tel:(720)%20334-7734" value="+17203347734" target="_blank">720-334-7734

[...]

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 14:33:32 -0700
Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Before Chugalug, there was CHIA. Before CHIA, I think there was a
> Fidonet something or other? My memory fails to connect at less than
> 2400 baud.

Net362. Which pre-dated Chia, but I'm not sure if the Chia lunches or
the Net362 breakfasts came first...

Re: [Chugalug] Chugalug mentioned in story

Nick Smith
Is there a story behind 362?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 14:33:32 -0700
Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Before Chugalug, there was CHIA. Before CHIA, I think there was a
> Fidonet something or other? My memory fails to connect at less than
> 2400 baud.

Net362. Which pre-dated Chia, but I'm not sure if the Chia lunches or
the Net362 breakfasts came first...

Re: [Chugalug] Chugalug mentioned in story

Mike Harrison-4

> On Dec 18, 2017, at 7:34 PM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a story behind 362?

Once upon a time there was Fidonet. It was like Sneakernet, but with modems. Locally, sneaker net may have been much faster.
Lots of us had BBS’s.. there were part of Fidonet, the local Fidonet (part of a larger network spanning the country and farther) was # 362

Sometimes, the local sysops (System Operators) and cherished/hated users got together for Saturday breakfasts at a regional all you can eat food trough.
Where the arguments, agreements, camaraderie and antics continued from cyberspace to meatspace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FidoNet

Is a start.