[Chugalug] City of Barcelona Kicks Out Microsoft in Favor of Linux and Open Source

[Chugalug] City of Barcelona Kicks Out Microsoft in Favor of Linux and Open Source

JustinMcAfee
After years of being kicked around by Microsoft, Barcelona moves to adopt F/OSS software. They've dedicated 70% of next years software budget to it, and are recruiting smaller local dev bases and IT pros to help with the transition. This warms my F/OSS loving heart as Spain is also the home of Guifi.Net, a free(libre), open, and neutral project to provide extremely high speeds to rural and underserved areas. With Guifi already serving ~32,000 nodes so far, it seems a next step would be to further ingrain F/OSS philosophy and practice into local business, schools, and government.

This move is an expansion of the FSS-EU's "Public Money, Public Code" initiative which encourages governments spending tax dollars on devs and code, to release that code under license that makes it available to all.

Hopefully, this project succeeds as the Czech govt' and the Munich govt' have both went back to the darkside recently.

Source: https://itsfoss.com/barcelona-open-source/

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: [Chugalug] City of Barcelona Kicks Out Microsoft in Favor of Linux and Open Source

Stephen Kraus
I'm still a large proponent of Microsoft front end client stuff (PCs, etc.) and Linux/UNIX backend/server/software.

Plus, with Microsoft pushing Linux compatibility anyways, it works out for me well.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:25 AM, JustinMcAfee <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stephen, can you share more about the Linux on Windows thing? I moved everything off Windows before the Linux Subsystem became a thing.

Jonathan, what's the best option for that? Move more systems to the "cloud" as web apps? I've noticed the easiest clients I've switched to Linux are those who are already using Saas product. So they don't care about the platform, as long as it is up.

On January 16, 2018 11:03 AM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The Linux Subsystem enabled you to install a fully implemented version of either Ubuntu or OpenSUSE that is fully tied into the Host OS. Its not a VM, its fully tied into the host.

You can even install VNC and setup X Windows and connect to the session and have a full desktop if you so choose:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3055403/windows/windows-10s-bash-shell-can-run-graphical-linux-applications-with-this-trick.html

I've been very impressed with it, its been great to be able to have bash/shell directly at my fingertips with no overhead and allowing me to not have to juggle with my linux machine, plus I bought a cheap $70 Windows 10 tablet and can use that for doing quick sessions.