[Chugalug] DNS Servers

Stephen Haywood
I finally built a DNS sinkhole for my home network. Was planning to use Pi-hole but it was a lot more than I wanted. Ended up using dnsmasq and a custom script to download and clean a few blacklists. I feed these to dnsmasq using the addn-hosts config option.

Now that I have the DNS sinkhole working, I don't need OpenDNS or their servers anymore. Do any of you have recommendations for a good DNS server. I'm using Google right now. Are EPB's servers reliable?

Stephen Haywood
Owner, ASG Consulting
CISSP, OSCP, OSCE
423.305.3700

Re: [Chugalug] DNS Servers

Dave Brockman
I personally prefer to use my own DNS, because I don't want Google or
EPB to
have access to my entire DNS lookup history.  Google DNS is pretty
reliable.
I have had issues with EPB's DNS servers in the past either caching
stale
records and/or not honoring TTLs.    You might also consider continuing
use OpenDNS, as I believe even the free tier benefits from Cisco TALOS
research in near real time...

On 2017-10-07 09:30, David White wrote:

> Generally speaking, I do think they are reliable. I think Google's is
> more reliable though, and that's always been my preference.
>
> On Oct 7, 2017 1:14 AM, "Stephen Haywood"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I finally built a DNS sinkhole for my home network. Was planning to
>> use Pi-hole but it was a lot more than I wanted. Ended up using
>> dnsmasq and a custom script to download and clean a few blacklists.
>> I feed these to dnsmasq using the addn-hosts config option.
>>
>> Now that I have the DNS sinkhole working, I don't need OpenDNS or
>> their servers anymore. Do any of you have recommendations for a good
>> DNS server. I'm using Google right now. Are EPB's servers reliable?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Stephen Haywood
>> Owner, ASG Consulting
>> CISSP, OSCP, OSCE
>> 423.305.3700 [1]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] tel:(423)%20305-3700
> [2] http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug

Re: [Chugalug] DNS Servers

Dean Warren
Hey Stephen,
What about Pi-Hole was not what you wanted? Curious as I have used it and found it to be pretty interesting.
Dean

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren