[Chugalug] Debian again

Mike Harrison-4
I have been using Debian/Armbian on some devices and minimal machines
(CLI only or LXDE) and while a few differences were frustrating (ip addr
instead of ifconfig for example), I was mostly impressed with how well
it "just worked". Then I installed Debian (9.4 aka stretch) using LXDE
on a dual-core Lenovo T400. Again, it worked mostly like I expected.
Which is kinda old-skool linux interface.

Then I screwed up my primary work/dev system (Elementary Linux) which
was pretty, but had some weird quirks at times. So I installed Debian
(9.4/Stretch) with Cinnamon (nice machine with a 4k screen) and with a
few tweaks. I think I'm in a pretty happy place.  Mods:

Installed "plank" for a pop-up dock at the bottom center after moving
the main panel to the top.

Installed "lxterminal" for a nice tabbed terminal. (I'd gotten used to
tabs.. useful when keeping lots of shells open different places)

Relearning Thunderbird for email. It's seen some love from Mozilla
recently, and while still an old school email client in many ways, has
had some polish and updating since I last tried it for real.

Turned off the "window tiling and snapping"

Unexpected: MTP support for my old android (Samsung S6 active) phone
"just worked". Plugging in a 2nd monitor "just worked". The GUI file
manager is sane,

So far.. pretty darn pleased with straight Debian for a work machine.

--
--Mike--
geeklabs.com

Re: [Chugalug] Debian again

kitepilot
How do you use a CLI?
They don't have a non-GUI live image anymore.
And then there is the systemd crap...   :(
Devuan hasn't done a lot of progress either.
As it is I ditched Debian, and I can't find anything to fill the vacuum...
:(
Rats...
ET

Mike Harrison writes:

> I have been using Debian/Armbian on some devices and minimal machines (CLI
> only or LXDE) and while a few differences were frustrating (ip addr
> instead of ifconfig for example), I was mostly impressed with how well it
> "just worked". Then I installed Debian (9.4 aka stretch) using LXDE on a
> dual-core Lenovo T400. Again, it worked mostly like I expected. Which is
> kinda old-skool linux interface.
>
> Then I screwed up my primary work/dev system (Elementary Linux) which was
> pretty, but had some weird quirks at times. So I installed Debian
> (9.4/Stretch) with Cinnamon (nice machine with a 4k screen) and with a few
> tweaks. I think I'm in a pretty happy place.  Mods:
>
> Installed "plank" for a pop-up dock at the bottom center after moving the
> main panel to the top.
>
> Installed "lxterminal" for a nice tabbed terminal. (I'd gotten used to
> tabs.. useful when keeping lots of shells open different places)
>
> Relearning Thunderbird for email. It's seen some love from Mozilla
> recently, and while still an old school email client in many ways, has had
> some polish and updating since I last tried it for real.
>
> Turned off the "window tiling and snapping"
>
> Unexpected: MTP support for my old android (Samsung S6 active) phone "just
> worked". Plugging in a 2nd monitor "just worked". The GUI file manager is
> sane,
>
> So far.. pretty darn pleased with straight Debian for a work machine.
>

> --
> --Mike--
> geeklabs.com
> 423 605-6943

Re: [Chugalug] Debian again

Mike Harrison-4
On 05/29/2018 10:27 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> How do you use a CLI?

On my GUI desktop, mostly using "lxterminal" both locally and SSH'd into
remote boxen.

> They don't have a non-GUI live image anymore.

Armbian install on the ARM devices is pretty bare, no GUI.
and on a desktop/server, pretty easy to turn off or remove the GUI.
Again: my usage was as a primary desktop.

but you can do a traditional text install:
   https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/debian-minimal-server/

> And then there is the systemd crap...   :(

So far, in my usage, systemd has been a "not an issue" as I haven't
experienced a problem with it.

Biggest "oh shit" so far was I (while playing around) enabled desktop
zoom, and learned the hard way that alt-mouse scroll zoomed my desktop.
Oh, and ctrl-++/ctrl--- isn't zooming my terminal, but works in my web
browser. I'll figure that out.

Re: [Chugalug] Debian again

On 5/29/2018 9:06 AM, Mike Harrison wrote:
> I have been using Debian/Armbian on some devices and minimal machines
> (CLI only or LXDE) and while a few differences were frustrating (ip addr
> instead of ifconfig for example)

To be fair, ip has deprecated ifconfig for... nearly a decade?  ifconfig
was just included for convenience, and you can still install it, I
believe it is in the net-tools package.  But, you really should learn
the ip command by now :)

Re: [Chugalug] Debian again

Mike Harrison-4
Yeah, when I go through these evolutions, I put some effort into relearning.

Funny thing, when I saw the “route” command missing, I did “netstat -r” by instinct. So much has changed, and become the old same again.