[Chugalug] Drobo Help

Nick Smith
Hey All,

I have a drobo that went dumb after a recent power outage.  Left me dead in the water with no access to my files.  I can root ssh into the device and see everything but i cant mount any of the smb shares either with their dashboard or just browsing out to \\ip.of.device

Ive done everything i could find on google and also contacted their support, they walked me through recreating the admin account through the dashboard, as they say there is something wrong with that account and it cant mount the shares. It had no effect, same issue.

The only thing they can tell me to do now is copy everything off the device, reformat/reset the drives and copy everything back on to it.  With 20TB of data on it thats going to be a job as slow as these things are.

The problem im running into now is that it doesnt have scp installed only ssh.  So every time i try to scp my files off to something else i get an error that scp isnt a valid command. (using winscp from a windows box)

The drobo runs linux but its a very striped down version with limited commands.

Im looking for ideas or advice on other options to get my data off this thing.
I definitely wont be putting my data back on this drobo and moving it to something hopefully more reliable.

I cant install apps in the traditional way, there are droboapps which are ports of linux apps that were compiled for ARM and work on the drobo, you drop the zip file onto the shared directory and reboot and it auto installs the app.  But since i cant access any shares thast not possible and without scp i also cannot get the zips to the device that way either, so im trying to find another solution.

The drives cannot be read in anything other than a drobo, and the configs reside on the drives, so even if i put them in a different drobo chassis i would have the same issues.

Sorry for the long post, does anyone have any other ideas on how i can get my data of this thing via cli with ssh only? (its only network, no usb access)

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

wes

Re: [Chugalug] Drobo Help

Can you use NFS?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 8, 2017, at 12:58 PM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey All,
>
> I have a drobo that went dumb after a recent power outage.  Left me dead in the water with no access to my files.  I can root ssh into the device and see everything but i cant mount any of the smb shares either with their dashboard or just browsing out to \\ip.of.device
>
> Ive done everything i could find on google and also contacted their support, they walked me through recreating the admin account through the dashboard, as they say there is something wrong with that account and it cant mount the shares. It had no effect, same issue.
>
> The only thing they can tell me to do now is copy everything off the device, reformat/reset the drives and copy everything back on to it.  With 20TB of data on it thats going to be a job as slow as these things are.
>
> The problem im running into now is that it doesnt have scp installed only ssh.  So every time i try to scp my files off to something else i get an error that scp isnt a valid command. (using winscp from a windows box)
>
> The drobo runs linux but its a very striped down version with limited commands.
>
> Im looking for ideas or advice on other options to get my data off this thing.
> I definitely wont be putting my data back on this drobo and moving it to something hopefully more reliable.
>
> I cant install apps in the traditional way, there are droboapps which are ports of linux apps that were compiled for ARM and work on the drobo, you drop the zip file onto the shared directory and reboot and it auto installs the app.  But since i cant access any shares thast not possible and without scp i also cannot get the zips to the device that way either, so im trying to find another solution.
>
> The drives cannot be read in anything other than a drobo, and the configs reside on the drives, so even if i put them in a different drobo chassis i would have the same issues.
>
> Sorry for the long post, does anyone have any other ideas on how i can get my data of this thing via cli with ssh only? (its only network, no usb access)
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Re: [Chugalug] Drobo Help

sshfs

Re: [Chugalug] Drobo Help

I dont see that command installed.

wes

Re: [Chugalug] Drobo Help

Michael Scholten
Not knowing drobo at all I may be barking up the wrong tree but would you be able to use rsync?

Possibly rsync -e ssh <Drobo-SSH-User>@<Drobo-IP>:/<path-to-files> /home/<Local-User>/some/place

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 2:24 PM wes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David White-2
I almost suggested rsync, but then saw Michael already suggested it -- so if drobo supports rsync, that's what I would use.

Other than that, I echo the suggestion to use SFTP with whatever client works for your setup.

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Michael Scholten <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions.

I finally got through to support.
They gave me a custom firmware with scp enabled so im able to being the long journey of coping 20TB of data at 40/Mbs.  Gonna be a long 2 weeks....