[Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

12

[Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

John Dills
EPB is holding a conference at 2PM today to make an announcement. You can watch here: https://epbfi.com/

Thanks,
John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

David White-2
The fact that this went to Chugalug makes me think it could be something quite legitimate.... Who wants to take bets on what it is?

Lower prices?
Speed increasing to 2gbps, and everyone on 100mbps gets bumped up to 1Gbps for free? Along with the rollout of IPv6?
They're expanding into Cleveland outside of their "territory"?

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 8:47 AM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
EPB is holding a conference at 2PM today to make an announcement. You can watch here: https://epbfi.com/

Thanks,
John Dills

Founder & CEO

Develop CENTS
Organizations Worldwide

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

Jared Hamilton
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 08:52:01AM -0400, David White wrote:
>   They're expanding into Cleveland outside of their "territory"?

"Let it be, let it be..."

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

Lynn Dixon
I doubt they would have all this hullabulloo to annouce a price increase.  They would do that with alot less fan fare.

the 2 gig serice *MAY* be a possiblility, since Comcast is offerering it in the area now, and has stolen some of the EPB "We're number 1" thunder.   I doubt they will offer it for free to the 1 gig customers though...but rather offer it as another tier of service....which I would be cool with.

The expanding into other territories is a good possibility.  I haven't heard anything about the current cases they are fighting with the state about the FCC net nuetrality ruling so I can't make an educated guess on that one.

However, given the fact that EPB hardly does these type of announcements, and they are giving this one quiet a  bit of fanfare (just got the email tickler in my inbox a few minutes ago), I do hope its something cool and ground breaking.  I like to see EPB keeping the news cycle warm with their innovation so that CHA keeps coming up in the tech blogs.  They have cooled off a bit lately, since there are so many other cities around the country doing 1 gig fiber-to-the-home services, and muni-internet.

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

Eric Wolf

My motherboard has dual 1g ports and supports LACP. But my brand new EdgeRouter doesn't support more than 1g. Then is no real point in offering more than 1g. But it is a marketing thing.

I pay $50/month for synchronous 1g internet on Longmont's municipal fiber. Maybe EPB is feeling some pressure to adjust prices?

I doubt they will be expanding but it would be great to see it happen. The network Longmont uses is co-owned with two other cities. Longmont would love to start wiring people up in those areas. But there are lots of barriers to municipal utilities expanding beyond their territory.

On Oct 15, 2015 7:32 AM, "Lynn Dixon" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Joe Freeman
"How many 10Gbe ports do you, your
company, and your 10 largest clients have combined?"

Actually, I've rolled out 1200 10Gbe ports in the last few months. In just the last month, I turned up 48 10Gbe sites for a customer. While we're not quite there yet, price parity between 10Gbe and 1Gbe is getting close in the service provider market. I put 48 ports of 1/10Gbe + 6 ports of 40Gbe into a central office for about $12K.

I don't know about the Alcatel gear that EPB uses, but Adtran has a 10G gpon solution that can overlay on the same fiber as their 2.5G gpon as well.

Joe

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

Eric Wolf
"How many 10Gbe ports do you, your
company, and your 10 largest clients have combined?"

I didn't even respond to that given that I work for a SAN company. Every box we ship has two 10Gbe ports. Our minimum configuration is four boxes. We just sold 42 boxes to Comcast and another 25 to AT&T. I believe eBay has about 120 of our boxes. In house, our test and development labs have around 500 of our boxes. All of our "client" systems necessarily have 10Gbe to consume the 10Gbe on the SAN. And our future projects lab is working with 40Gbe.

Although we do not run 10Gbe to each developer's workstation, which is a pain at times.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Joe Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
"How many 10Gbe ports do you, your
company, and your 10 largest clients have combined?"

Actually, I've rolled out 1200 10Gbe ports in the last few months. In just the last month, I turned up 48 10Gbe sites for a customer. While we're not quite there yet, price parity between 10Gbe and 1Gbe is getting close in the service provider market. I put 48 ports of 1/10Gbe + 6 ports of 40Gbe into a central office for about $12K.

I don't know about the Alcatel gear that EPB uses, but Adtran has a 10G gpon solution that can overlay on the same fiber as their 2.5G gpon as well.

Joe

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

mdquerng
My guess is some sort of home green/automation play. Hey, they're the power company.

Best
Mark

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

I disagree.  Comcast says in the FAQ that their 2 gig service will be 2 gig symmetrical. http://www.xfinity.com/multi-gig-offers.html

So it appears to be true 2 gig symmetrical.

Not sure if that also covers Chattanooga, but I would imagine it would.   I don't know anyone silly enough to pay $300 - $399 for the service, since EPB has theirs at $69.

http://imgur.com/EpFcHdK It's about to begin.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:00 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://imgur.com/EpFcHdK It's about to begin.

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

David White-2
Holy Cow. 10gbps rolling out to the community....

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:00 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://imgur.com/EpFcHdK It's about to begin.

> On Oct 15, 2015, at 1:58 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Founder & CEO

Develop CENTS
Organizations Worldwide

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Announcement (Conference, 2PM)

Rod-Lists

suck it iron man !
> Holy Cow. 10gbps rolling out to the community....
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Lynn Dixon < [hidden email] > wrote:
>

> Its started:
>
> https://static.epb.com/livestream
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:00 PM, < [hidden email] > wrote:
>

> http://imgur.com/EpFcHdK It's about to begin.
>

> > On Oct 15, 2015, at 1:58 PM, Dave Brockman < [hidden email] > wrote:

> David White
> Founder & CEO
>
> Develop CENTS
> Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting
> Organizations Worldwide
> http://developcents.com

12