[Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Stephen Haywood
Yesterday, I upgraded my EPB account to 1Gbps instead of 100Mbps. EPB made the changes on their end and said they wouldn’t take effect until midnight. This morning I’m still running at 100Mbps. The tech person at EPB says the equipment is provisioned properly but that it is auto negotiating a 100M link with my router. I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite so I know it is capable of 1Gbps. I plugged my laptop directly into the EPB jack in my house and the laptop negotiated a 100M connection as well. When I plug my laptop into my gigabit switch, it negotiates a 1Gbps connection. Any other things I should try before calling EPB back?

Stephen Haywood
Owner: ASG Consulting
423.305.3700

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Michael Harrison

> On Oct 16, 2015, at 9:44 AM, asg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yesterday, I upgraded my EPB account to 1Gbps instead of 100Mbps. EPB made the changes on their end and said they wouldn’t take effect until midnight. This morning I’m still running at 100Mbps. The tech person at EPB says the equipment is provisioned properly but that it is auto negotiating a 100M link with my router. I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite so I know it is capable of 1Gbps. I plugged my laptop directly into the EPB jack in my house and the laptop negotiated a 100M connection as well. When I plug my laptop into my gigabit switch, it negotiates a 1Gbps connection. Any other things I should try before calling EPB back?

It might take a reboot on their equipment. The real problem, is that you are in the small percentage of people that understand and can tell the difference. Now you get to find a tech at EPB that can do the same.

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

kitepilot
> It might take a reboot on their equipment. The real problem,
> is that you are in the small percentage of people that understand
> and can tell the difference. Now you get to find a tech at EPB
> that can do the same.
You may want to sacrifice a goat too...    ;-)
ET

Mike Harrison writes:

>> On Oct 16, 2015, at 9:44 AM, asg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday, I upgraded my EPB account to 1Gbps instead of 100Mbps. EPB made the changes on their end and said they wouldn’t take effect until midnight. This morning I’m still running at 100Mbps. The tech person at EPB says the equipment is provisioned properly but that it is auto negotiating a 100M link with my router. I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite so I know it is capable of 1Gbps. I plugged my laptop directly into the EPB jack in my house and the laptop negotiated a 100M connection as well. When I plug my laptop into my gigabit switch, it negotiates a 1Gbps connection. Any other things I should try before calling EPB back?
>

> It might take a reboot on their equipment. The real problem, is that you are in the small percentage of people that understand and can tell the difference. Now you get to find a tech at EPB that can do the same.

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Stephen Haywood
Called EPB back and they scheduled a tech to come out and check the equipment. Shortly after that, they called back and said I needed a new router from EPB because the equipment they have in place can’t do Gig.
--
Stephen Haywood
Owner: ASG Consulting

> On Oct 16, 2015, at 10:13 AM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> On 10/16/2015 9:44 AM, asg wrote:
> > Yesterday, I upgraded my EPB account to 1Gbps instead of 100Mbps. EPB
> > made the changes on their end and said they wouldn’t take effect
> > until midnight. This morning I’m still running at 100Mbps. The tech
> > person at EPB says the equipment is provisioned properly but that it
> > is auto negotiating a 100M link with my router. I have a Ubiquiti
> > EdgeRouter Lite so I know it is capable of 1Gbps. I plugged my laptop
> > directly into the EPB jack in my house and the laptop negotiated a
> > 100M connection as well. When I plug my laptop into my gigabit
> > switch, it negotiates a 1Gbps connection. Any other things I should
> > try before calling EPB back?
>
> It's not a provisioning issue, it sounds like your port on the ONT is
> hardcoded to 100Mb.  Even on 100Mb provisioned circuits, the handoff
> connection should link at a Gig.  You can reboot the ONT and see if that
> helps, but something is wrong if your equipment is only negotiating
> 100Mb.  And don't go the other route either, don't let them hardcode the
> speed at 1000, autoneg is part of the spec for Gig.
>
> Regards,
>
> dtb

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Dean Warren
keep us posted!

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:17 AM, asg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Called EPB back and they scheduled a tech to come out and check the equipment. Shortly after that, they called back and said I needed a new router from EPB because the equipment they have in place can’t do Gig.
--
Stephen Haywood
Owner: ASG Consulting
[hidden email]

> On Oct 16, 2015, at 10:13 AM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> On 10/16/2015 9:44 AM, asg wrote:
> > Yesterday, I upgraded my EPB account to 1Gbps instead of 100Mbps. EPB
> > made the changes on their end and said they wouldn’t take effect
> > until midnight. This morning I’m still running at 100Mbps. The tech
> > person at EPB says the equipment is provisioned properly but that it
> > is auto negotiating a 100M link with my router. I have a Ubiquiti
> > EdgeRouter Lite so I know it is capable of 1Gbps. I plugged my laptop
> > directly into the EPB jack in my house and the laptop negotiated a
> > 100M connection as well. When I plug my laptop into my gigabit
> > switch, it negotiates a 1Gbps connection. Any other things I should
> > try before calling EPB back?
>
> It's not a provisioning issue, it sounds like your port on the ONT is
> hardcoded to 100Mb.  Even on 100Mb provisioned circuits, the handoff
> connection should link at a Gig.  You can reboot the ONT and see if that
> helps, but something is wrong if your equipment is only negotiating
> 100Mb.  And don't go the other route either, don't let them hardcode the
> speed at 1000, autoneg is part of the spec for Gig.
>
> Regards,
>
> dtb

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Alex Smith (K4RNT)

Man it sounds like have great tech support working for them. Would love to live in Chattanooga...

On Oct 16, 2015 7:54 AM, "Dean Warren" <[hidden email]> wrote:
keep us posted!

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:17 AM, asg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Called EPB back and they scheduled a tech to come out and check the equipment. Shortly after that, they called back and said I needed a new router from EPB because the equipment they have in place can’t do Gig.
--
Stephen Haywood
Owner: ASG Consulting
[hidden email]

> On Oct 16, 2015, at 10:13 AM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> On 10/16/2015 9:44 AM, asg wrote:
> > Yesterday, I upgraded my EPB account to 1Gbps instead of 100Mbps. EPB
> > made the changes on their end and said they wouldn’t take effect
> > until midnight. This morning I’m still running at 100Mbps. The tech
> > person at EPB says the equipment is provisioned properly but that it
> > is auto negotiating a 100M link with my router. I have a Ubiquiti
> > EdgeRouter Lite so I know it is capable of 1Gbps. I plugged my laptop
> > directly into the EPB jack in my house and the laptop negotiated a
> > 100M connection as well. When I plug my laptop into my gigabit
> > switch, it negotiates a 1Gbps connection. Any other things I should
> > try before calling EPB back?
>
> It's not a provisioning issue, it sounds like your port on the ONT is
> hardcoded to 100Mb.  Even on 100Mb provisioned circuits, the handoff
> connection should link at a Gig.  You can reboot the ONT and see if that
> helps, but something is wrong if your equipment is only negotiating
> 100Mb.  And don't go the other route either, don't let them hardcode the
> speed at 1000, autoneg is part of the spec for Gig.
>
> Regards,
>
> dtb

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

John Dills
Hm, I'm curious as to what it could be too. You'll have to let us know what the tech says!

Thanks,
John Dills

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Alex Smith (K4RNT) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Man it sounds like have great tech support working for them. Would love to live in Chattanooga...

On Oct 16, 2015 7:54 AM, "Dean Warren" <[hidden email]> wrote:
keep us posted!

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:17 AM, asg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Called EPB back and they scheduled a tech to come out and check the equipment. Shortly after that, they called back and said I needed a new router from EPB because the equipment they have in place can’t do Gig.
--
Stephen Haywood
Owner: ASG Consulting
[hidden email]

> On Oct 16, 2015, at 10:13 AM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> On 10/16/2015 9:44 AM, asg wrote:
> > Yesterday, I upgraded my EPB account to 1Gbps instead of 100Mbps. EPB
> > made the changes on their end and said they wouldn’t take effect
> > until midnight. This morning I’m still running at 100Mbps. The tech
> > person at EPB says the equipment is provisioned properly but that it
> > is auto negotiating a 100M link with my router. I have a Ubiquiti
> > EdgeRouter Lite so I know it is capable of 1Gbps. I plugged my laptop
> > directly into the EPB jack in my house and the laptop negotiated a
> > 100M connection as well. When I plug my laptop into my gigabit
> > switch, it negotiates a 1Gbps connection. Any other things I should
> > try before calling EPB back?
>
> It's not a provisioning issue, it sounds like your port on the ONT is
> hardcoded to 100Mb.  Even on 100Mb provisioned circuits, the handoff
> connection should link at a Gig.  You can reboot the ONT and see if that
> helps, but something is wrong if your equipment is only negotiating
> 100Mb.  And don't go the other route either, don't let them hardcode the
> speed at 1000, autoneg is part of the spec for Gig.
>
> Regards,
>
> dtb

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Dan Lyke
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/16/2015 10:17 AM, asg wrote:
>> Called EPB back and they scheduled a tech to come out and check the
>> equipment. Shortly after that, they called back and said I needed a
>> new router from EPB because the equipment they have in place can’t
>> do Gig.
>
> Why do you have a router from EPB?  You should only have an ONT
> unless you have phone line(s).

Likely tech misspeaking, possibly because the ONT has NAT
capabilities? I know the number of different names for CPEs causes a
hell of a lot of confusion around here... More than it should.

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

John Dills
I agree with Dan. It's likely just misspeak. ONTs are life.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/16/2015 10:17 AM, asg wrote:
>> Called EPB back and they scheduled a tech to come out and check the
>> equipment. Shortly after that, they called back and said I needed a
>> new router from EPB because the equipment they have in place can’t
>> do Gig.
>
> Why do you have a router from EPB?  You should only have an ONT
> unless you have phone line(s).

Likely tech misspeaking, possibly because the ONT has NAT
capabilities? I know the number of different names for CPEs causes a
hell of a lot of confusion around here... More than it should.

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

John Dills
FYI- What likely needs to be done is the ONT needs to be swapped. You might have an older ONT that supports 100mbps and not 1000mbps.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 1:56 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree with Dan. It's likely just misspeak. ONTs are life.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/16/2015 10:17 AM, asg wrote:
>> Called EPB back and they scheduled a tech to come out and check the
>> equipment. Shortly after that, they called back and said I needed a
>> new router from EPB because the equipment they have in place can’t
>> do Gig.
>
> Why do you have a router from EPB?  You should only have an ONT
> unless you have phone line(s).

Likely tech misspeaking, possibly because the ONT has NAT
capabilities? I know the number of different names for CPEs causes a
hell of a lot of confusion around here... More than it should.

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Alex Smith (K4RNT)
Hang on, do you lease the CPE from EPB? If so, it should be under warranty, and they should either repair or replace the unit at no charge.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:58 AM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI- What likely needs to be done is the ONT needs to be swapped. You might have an older ONT that supports 100mbps and not 1000mbps.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 1:56 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree with Dan. It's likely just misspeak. ONTs are life.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/16/2015 10:17 AM, asg wrote:
>> Called EPB back and they scheduled a tech to come out and check the
>> equipment. Shortly after that, they called back and said I needed a
>> new router from EPB because the equipment they have in place can’t
>> do Gig.
>
> Why do you have a router from EPB?  You should only have an ONT
> unless you have phone line(s).

Likely tech misspeaking, possibly because the ONT has NAT
capabilities? I know the number of different names for CPEs causes a
hell of a lot of confusion around here... More than it should.

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

John Dills
It's probably the ONT.  You *can* get SmartNet (Our homenetwork service) but it's not required or included. ONTs are put in place by us so service/swapping/replacing them is free.

Thanks,
John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

John Dills
If the customer has had our services for a long while or moved into a house where we installed services (and the previous customer only had 100mbps), then the ONT at the premise may not support a gig. We don't use those ONTs in new installs (as far as I know) -- but older makes them sounds like they're less functional. They work fine and aren't really problematic. They just don't support GbE, so they have to be swapped if the customer upgrades.

Does that help?

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Stephen Haywood
The little box that EPB put on the side of my house was old and had to be replaced. :)

On Friday, October 16, 2015, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
If the customer has had our services for a long while or moved into a house where we installed services (and the previous customer only had 100mbps), then the ONT at the premise may not support a gig. We don't use those ONTs in new installs (as far as I know) -- but older makes them sounds like they're less functional. They work fine and aren't really problematic. They just don't support GbE, so they have to be swapped if the customer upgrades.

Does that help?

Stephen Haywood
Owner, ASG Consulting
CISSP, OSCP
423.305.3700

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

Dave Brockman

Re: [Chugalug] EPB Gigabit

John Dills
I'm pretty sure the 100mbps ONT looks nearly identical to the 1000mbps ONT. In fact, they may even be the same series.