[Chugalug] EPB website blocking Tor, including middle relays?

[Chugalug] EPB website blocking Tor, including middle relays?

Robert Kelly III
Is anyone on the list currently running a non-exit Tor node? Can you
confirm whether you can reach EPB's website? I think they may be
blocking all Tor nodes from accessing their website, including middle
relays that belong to their own customers. I can not access the website
from my home (EPB provided) IP address, regardless of device or browser,
but I can reach it with my mobile phone as soon as it is off WiFi and
using mobile data. I am also unable to reach it from my Tor browser.

I find this a bit disturbing because blocking middle relays indicates
one of two things: since no anonymized traffic is coming from middle
relays, you are either making a statement that you oppose privacy and
anonymity on the internet, or you were technically inept in your attempt
to block anonymized traffic. :-(

Re: [Chugalug] EPB website blocking Tor, including middle relays?

John Dills
Unfortunately, I've confirmed that TOR exit nodes are blocked. If you're having issues accessing EPB's site on TOR, you'll have to hop off of it.

If you're running an exit node from your house and get blocked... I'd suggest reaching out to Tech Support.

Thanks,
John

On Sep 12, 2017 11:44 AM, "Robert A. Kelly III" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

These are not exit nodes, just relay nodes. It is easy to configure what you are using to block tor to also block relays by accident. (Had this happen with invisionapp.com for a while they had blocked relays but not exits so tor was the only way I could easily get on it! They got it fixed quick when I reached out to them).

Relays only shuttle traffic, but do not allow for traffic to exit to the internet.

My node is currently down, and don't have the time to resetup until next month (when I'm rebuilding my home server) so I cannot make a better test if relays are also being blocked.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:49 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, I actually do not work on that side of things (I'm in our NOC), but I'll reach out with Corp and see if they're blocking all nodes, exit nodes, etc. Honestly, since we're a utility, they try to take security pretty seriously but they'll usually listen to valid reasons.

In the mean time, sorry! I'll pass anything that gets passed up to me by our tech support team up so if you have issues and are getting blocked, always call them and report it to them. They can send it up to us and I'll pass along any info to Corp.