[Chugalug] External Storage

12

[Chugalug] External Storage

Jonathan Calloway
Greetings!

I’m looking to possibly build an external RAID array.  The requirements are that it has to be small (the wife prefers that I not have another PC-sized machine in my room).  It also needs to be very flexible (not really a limitation on size).

Looking at some of the products on Amazon and other places, it looks like Sans Digital may fit the bill.  Has anyone ever used a product from Sans Digital?  Do you have any other products / brands you would recommend?

Thanks!

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] External Storage

Joseph Simoneau

I have a synology 8-bay that I like. Transfers are a little slow because it doesn't do round robin bonding. But with a 4x bond, it can feed a good number of clients at once as long as the drives can keep up. Also, no atomic COW or bit rot protection, but those really only come from rolling your own (or exposing iscsi volumes and doing it on another computer for the really important data).

I have no real experience with competitors and bought it after trying to build one....I got sick of the monolithic case and Newegg sending me DOA motherboards and gave up.

-js

Quoting Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]>:

> Greetings!
>
> I'm looking to possibly build an external RAID array.  The
> requirements are that it has to be small (the wife prefers that I
> not have another PC-sized machine in my room).  It also needs to be
> very flexible (not really a limitation on size).
>
> Looking at some of the products on Amazon and other places, it looks
>  like Sans Digital may fit the bill.  Has anyone ever used a product
>  from Sans Digital?  Do you have any other products / brands you
> would recommend?

Buffalo apparently makes some good hardware.

Re: [Chugalug] External Storage

Dave Brockman

Re: [Chugalug] External Storage

Re: [Chugalug] External Storage

Eric Wolf
From what I gather, there's Synology and then there's everyone else... unless you have very deep pockets ($100K+), in which case I can have someone from sales contact you. ;)

I had a NetGear NAS that was very cheap (about $50) but it was slow... And I wanted to run stuff like Plex... And I had a fairly recent box that I could turn into a server. I found FreeNAS to be pretty cool but ended up just running Ubuntu Server 12.04LTS.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

Re: [Chugalug] External Storage

Jonathan Calloway
Thanks all.  I’ve heard a lot of gray things about Synology.  However, they are still too rich for my blood at this point.

I recently purchased an older dual xeon Mac pro that I’m running ESXi on.  I’d like to connect something locally as storage, and maybe use directly with a VM running something like FreeNAS.

Here’s what I’m looking at:

I feel like that’s pretty reasonable for what I’m trying to do.  It seems to me that when you start adding actual NAS features to a device, the price goes up fairly quickly.

I realize I could grab an old PC from somewhere and load it up with drives, but my lovely lady doesn’t want me adding any more hardware to the space (remember, I have this huge cheese grader in there as it is).

<JC>

On Jun 19, 2014, at 4:08 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

From what I gather, there's Synology and then there's everyone else... unless you have very deep pockets ($100K+), in which case I can have someone from sales contact you. ;)

I had a NetGear NAS that was very cheap (about $50) but it was slow... And I wanted to run stuff like Plex... And I had a fairly recent box that I could turn into a server. I found FreeNAS to be pretty cool but ended up just running Ubuntu Server 12.04LTS.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

Re: [Chugalug] External Storage

Dave Brockman

Re: [Chugalug] External Storage

Joseph Simoneau

I'm with Dave.

Also, my synology is the 1813+. It cost about the same as a supermicro/i3/ECC build except that it actually worked the first time as opposed to the 2 dead SM boards I got. It also fits in like 4 or 5u (needs a shelf) and is half the depth of a super short depth case, as opposed to the monolithic case I had to hold that many drives. Seriously, its smaller than my mITX desktop case.

-js

Re: [Chugalug] External Storage

Phil Sieg
The PCIE RAID cards that the SansDigital units use are garbage. Speaking from experience.

However their stand alone units with RAID built in that connect via USB and PCIE are very solid, also from experience. Not blazing fast, but solid.

Phil Sieg
President
SeniorTech LLC / snapfōn®
www.snapfon.com
[hidden email]

Phone: 423.535.9968
Fax: 423.265.9820
Mobile: 423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

On Jun 19, 2014, at 8:41 PM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks all.  I’ve heard a lot of gray things about Synology.  However, they are still too rich for my blood at this point.

I recently purchased an older dual xeon Mac pro that I’m running ESXi on.  I’d like to connect something locally as storage, and maybe use directly with a VM running something like FreeNAS.

Here’s what I’m looking at:

I feel like that’s pretty reasonable for what I’m trying to do.  It seems to me that when you start adding actual NAS features to a device, the price goes up fairly quickly.

I realize I could grab an old PC from somewhere and load it up with drives, but my lovely lady doesn’t want me adding any more hardware to the space (remember, I have this huge cheese grader in there as it is).

<JC>

On Jun 19, 2014, at 4:08 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

From what I gather, there's Synology and then there's everyone else... unless you have very deep pockets ($100K+), in which case I can have someone from sales contact you. ;)

I had a NetGear NAS that was very cheap (about $50) but it was slow... And I wanted to run stuff like Plex... And I had a fairly recent box that I could turn into a server. I found FreeNAS to be pretty cool but ended up just running Ubuntu Server 12.04LTS.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

Re: [Chugalug] External Storage

Jonathan Calloway

Ok, so general consensus seems to be that an external Sans Digital arrays connected via USB or Firewire would be a good choice.

I was also thinking of just simply adding a couple more internal drives since there are 4 extra SATA bays.  What is the process for adding an internal HDD and having ESX see it?   (I don’t mind if it becomes a separate data store; it may just have a single freenas vm with a large volume on it).

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] External Storage

William D. Roush
Should be running RAID 5, brah.
William Roush

http://www.roushtech.net/blog/

On 6/22/2014 10:51 PM, Stephen Kraus wrote:
External RAID 6 array. I love mine.

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok, so general consensus seems to be that an external Sans Digital arrays connected via USB or Firewire would be a good choice.

I was also thinking of just simply adding a couple more internal drives since there are 4 extra SATA bays.  What is the process for adding an internal HDD and having ESX see it?   (I don’t mind if it becomes a separate data store; it may just have a single freenas vm with a large volume on it).

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] External Storage

William D. Roush
The one redeeming quality I had when working with a Buffalo NAS at a client's site is that I took the drives, threw them in Linux and recovered all of their data, reflashed the NAS and put it back into production along with the recommendation to keep data backed up off of that array.

If that was a proprietary setup, yep have fun getting that data back.
William Roush

http://www.roushtech.net/blog/

On 6/20/2014 5:02 PM, Steve McKnelly wrote:
[...]

William, Its a 16TB array, if you use RAID 5 for an array that is in excess of a certain size or has larger capacity disks, you risk corrupting the array should a disk fail, and RAID 6, while slower, has better integrity for disk failures.

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 11:01 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
12