[Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

[Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Mike Harrison-4
I’m putting together a presentation to share next month on FOSS tools for IT/OT departments. Specifically the kids of things they would use internal to their organization.

What are you favorites and why?

For example some of the items only list are:

pfSense = Firewall with good support for OpenVPN and IPsec.

Clonezilla = makes images / backups / restores systems

Linux = Operating system useful for:
    Samba = Microsoft Style File Shares
    Nagios = SNMP and other methods Network Monitoring
    Snort = Intrusion Detection
    KVM/QEMU virtualization

DBAN = Wipe a disk

Re: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Ed King
asterisk
qemu
find, grep, sed, awk ;)

 Subject: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments
 To: "Chattanooga Unix Gnu Android Linux Users Group" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Sunday, September 20, 2015, 4:59 PM

 I’m putting together a presentation
 to share next month on FOSS tools for IT/OT departments.
 Specifically the kids of things they would use internal to
 their organization.

 What are you favorites and why?

 For example some of the items only list are:

 pfSense = Firewall with good support for OpenVPN and IPsec.

 Clonezilla = makes images / backups / restores systems

 Linux = Operating system useful for:
     Samba = Microsoft Style File Shares
     Nagios = SNMP and other methods Network
 Monitoring
     Snort = Intrusion Detection
     KVM/QEMU virtualization

 DBAN = Wipe a disk

 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Nagios is great. +10 on that.
Also +1 for pfSense, DBAN, etc...

On top of what you said I would put in a plug for osticket as a good support ticketing system, phpMyAdmin for teams to manipulate databases (I don't use if but I do think it's useful), etc...

On Sep 20, 2015 4:59 PM, "Mike Harrison" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m putting together a presentation to share next month on FOSS tools for IT/OT departments. Specifically the kids of things they would use internal to their organization.

What are you favorites and why?

For example some of the items only list are:

pfSense = Firewall with good support for OpenVPN and IPsec.

Clonezilla = makes images / backups / restores systems

Linux = Operating system useful for:
    Samba = Microsoft Style File Shares
    Nagios = SNMP and other methods Network Monitoring
    Snort = Intrusion Detection
    KVM/QEMU virtualization

DBAN = Wipe a disk

Re: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Stephen Kraus

Nagios
Svn such as turtle for program revisions.
Jenkins for software versioning and deployment
Redmine for ticket tracking, or
MobiXterm for Cygwin based SSH/X11/Rdp/Telnet/etc. terminal access.
pFsense for firewall implementations and WAP management.

On Sep 20, 2015 6:16 PM, "David White" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nagios is great. +10 on that.
Also +1 for pfSense, DBAN, etc...

On top of what you said I would put in a plug for osticket as a good support ticketing system, phpMyAdmin for teams to manipulate databases (I don't use if but I do think it's useful), etc...

On Sep 20, 2015 4:59 PM, "Mike Harrison" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m putting together a presentation to share next month on FOSS tools for IT/OT departments. Specifically the kids of things they would use internal to their organization.

What are you favorites and why?

For example some of the items only list are:

pfSense = Firewall with good support for OpenVPN and IPsec.

Clonezilla = makes images / backups / restores systems

Linux = Operating system useful for:
    Samba = Microsoft Style File Shares
    Nagios = SNMP and other methods Network Monitoring
    Snort = Intrusion Detection
    KVM/QEMU virtualization

DBAN = Wipe a disk

Re: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Mike Harrison-4

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 1:14 PM, Jason Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forgot the link:  http://omdistro.org/

Thank You! I may be playing with that soon.

So far, some excellent responses.. and even though i use it, Ed reminded me about Asterisk..

I’ll make the full presentation public soon. Should be interesting.

Re: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Stephen Kraus

Are we allowed to recommend pen testing and security FOSS tools?

On Sep 21, 2015 3:01 PM, "Mike Harrison" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 1:14 PM, Jason Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forgot the link:  http://omdistro.org/

Thank You! I may be playing with that soon.

So far, some excellent responses.. and even though i use it, Ed reminded me about Asterisk..

I’ll make the full presentation public soon. Should be interesting.

Re: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Mike Harrison-4

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 5:02 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are we allowed to recommend pen testing and security FOSS tools?

Of course, actually looking hard at them this week. So much to do, so little time. ;)

On 9/20/2015 4:59 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:

> I’m putting together a presentation to share next month on FOSS tools
> for IT/OT departments. Specifically the kids of things they would use
> internal to their organization.
>
> What are you favorites and why?
>
> For example some of the items only list are:
>

> pfSense = Firewall with good support for OpenVPN and IPsec.

For VMware folks, pfsense makes an excellent virtual firewall with a
fairly consistent and mostly self-explanatory GUI.  No additional
license fees for SSL vpn clients, GigE interfaces, or VLANs.

> Clonezilla = makes images / backups / restores systems

Resize those < 2008/Vista OS partitions (Server2003) when they run out
of disk space.  Quicker than VMware converter in most cases :)

> Linux = Operating system useful for: Samba = Microsoft Style File
> Shares Nagios = SNMP and other methods Network Monitoring Snort =
> Intrusion Detection

Linux and/or BSD for the above

KVM/QEMU virtualization

Mostly Linux here

> DBAN = Wipe a disk

Securely wipe a disk.  I work with one of, if not the, best forensic guy
in town.  He can tell me what I did to it, but he can't recover it.

Cacti - SNMP poll/graphing of routers/firewalls/switches.
Rancid - Config backup (if you have telnet/SSH devices)
NTOP - Poor man's flowspec
Owncloud - Dropbox under your control
Open-LDAP - Provide OpenID proxy to your Active Directory
NTP server - Windows sucks at time, and they admit it.
DHCP server - Win DHCP server requires CAL for every IP assigned
SMTP-Proxy - In front of Exchange, sane configuration/antiSPAM options
SMTP-Proxy - Outbound, especially if you do mass-mails
grep - I know Ed was kidding, but I'm not

Things I run on Windows that might be of interest:
Wireshark - sniff em
Putty - Needs no introduction
Notepad++ - Because Notepad still sucks
VirtualBox - Virtualization on the cheap (free)
FileZilla Server/Client - [s]FTP[s] server/client
WinSCP - [s]FTP[s]/SSH/SCP/WebDAV client
LazPaint - because Paint still sucks
TFTPD64 - TFTP/DHCP/SYSLOG server for Windows
VLC - Because your users always find weird media that won't play
Rufus - make bootable and installable VMware USB keys
MySQL/MariaDB/Sqlite - License free databases w/ Win clients/drivers
GPG-WIN - encryption (filesystem/email good luck on Outlook support)
VeraCrypt/Truecrypt - encrypted containers
keepass - password database

HTH!

Re: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Matt Keys-2
I love ack (http://beyondgrep.com/). It's available in epel for centos/rhel and standard repos for ubuntu/debian. Since asterisk was mentioned I'll also toss in sipXcom and freeswitch.

On 9/20/2015 4:59 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:

> I’m putting together a presentation to share next month on FOSS tools
> for IT/OT departments. Specifically the kids of things they would use
> internal to their organization.
>
> What are you favorites and why?
>
> For example some of the items only list are:
>

> pfSense = Firewall with good support for OpenVPN and IPsec.

For VMware folks, pfsense makes an excellent virtual firewall with a
fairly consistent and mostly self-explanatory GUI.  No additional
license fees for SSL vpn clients, GigE interfaces, or VLANs.

> Clonezilla = makes images / backups / restores systems

Resize those < 2008/Vista OS partitions (Server2003) when they run out
of disk space.  Quicker than VMware converter in most cases :)

> Linux = Operating system useful for: Samba = Microsoft Style File
> Shares Nagios = SNMP and other methods Network Monitoring Snort =
> Intrusion Detection

Linux and/or BSD for the above

KVM/QEMU virtualization

Mostly Linux here

> DBAN = Wipe a disk

Securely wipe a disk.  I work with one of, if not the, best forensic guy
in town.  He can tell me what I did to it, but he can't recover it.

Cacti - SNMP poll/graphing of routers/firewalls/switches.
Rancid - Config backup (if you have telnet/SSH devices)
NTOP - Poor man's flowspec
Owncloud - Dropbox under your control
Open-LDAP - Provide OpenID proxy to your Active Directory
NTP server - Windows sucks at time, and they admit it.
DHCP server - Win DHCP server requires CAL for every IP assigned
SMTP-Proxy - In front of Exchange, sane configuration/antiSPAM options
SMTP-Proxy - Outbound, especially if you do mass-mails
grep - I know Ed was kidding, but I'm not

Things I run on Windows that might be of interest:
Wireshark - sniff em
Putty - Needs no introduction
Notepad++ - Because Notepad still sucks
VirtualBox - Virtualization on the cheap (free)
FileZilla Server/Client - [s]FTP[s] server/client
WinSCP - [s]FTP[s]/SSH/SCP/WebDAV client
LazPaint - because Paint still sucks
TFTPD64 - TFTP/DHCP/SYSLOG server for Windows
VLC - Because your users always find weird media that won't play
Rufus - make bootable and installable VMware USB keys
MySQL/MariaDB/Sqlite - License free databases w/ Win clients/drivers
GPG-WIN - encryption (filesystem/email good luck on Outlook support)
VeraCrypt/Truecrypt - encrypted containers
keepass - password database

HTH!

Re: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Stephen Kraus

https://www.kali.org/

Pen Testing distribution, but also very useful for doing network analysis and troubleshooting. Lots of good tools.

Used to be Backtrack.

On Sep 21, 2015 9:16 PM, "Matt Keys" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

grep - I know Ed was kidding, but I'm not

Things I run on Windows that might be of interest:
Wireshark - sniff em
Putty - Needs no introduction
Notepad++ - Because Notepad still sucks
VirtualBox - Virtualization on the cheap (free)
FileZilla Server/Client - [s]FTP[s] server/client
WinSCP - [s]FTP[s]/SSH/SCP/WebDAV client
LazPaint - because Paint still sucks
TFTPD64 - TFTP/DHCP/SYSLOG server for Windows
VLC - Because your users always find weird media that won't play
Rufus - make bootable and installable VMware USB keys
MySQL/MariaDB/Sqlite - License free databases w/ Win clients/drivers
GPG-WIN - encryption (filesystem/email good luck on Outlook support)
VeraCrypt/Truecrypt - encrypted containers
keepass - password database

HTH!

Re: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Mike Smith
Racktables (http://racktables.org/) makes a decent rack/port inventory tool

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 1:14 PM, Jason Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forgot the link:  http://omdistro.org/

Thank You! I may be playing with that soon.

So far, some excellent responses.. and even though i use it, Ed reminded me about Asterisk..

I’ll make the full presentation public soon. Should be interesting.

Re: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Nick Smith
AlienVault is a nice SIEM. Easy to get started.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Mike Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Racktables (http://racktables.org/) makes a decent rack/port inventory tool

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 1:14 PM, Jason Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forgot the link:  http://omdistro.org/

Thank You! I may be playing with that soon.

So far, some excellent responses.. and even though i use it, Ed reminded me about Asterisk..

I’ll make the full presentation public soon. Should be interesting.

Re: [Chugalug] FOSS Tools for IT Departments

Christopher Rimondi
ELK Stack for Logging -> https://www.elastic.co/
Security Onion for Security Monitoring -> http://blog.securityonion.net/p/securityonion.html

I'm playing with SexiLog (http://www.sexilog.fr/), prebuilt ELK-tool VMware Log Insight-like tool