[Chugalug] Firewalled at work: Network Security Question

[Chugalug] Firewalled at work: Network Security Question

Nick LaPorta
Hey guys:

Long time lurker, first time poster. (Apologize for the length, longer than I intended)

While I'm not a super user, as some on this list, I have built a few *nix boxes/laptops, etc and would certainly classify myself as still a step under intermediate, but not beginner.

Quick one (hopefully) for you all.  Recently (2 days ago) installed the latest Debian distro on a Dell D630 - not sure what other details would be needed here - and am having trouble connecting to the guest wireless network here at work (Unum). Side note: I've never connected wirelessly. In an effort to resolve the wireless broadcom driver issue, I needed access to wget commands via web so I plugged into ethernet and after like 20 seconds, got a notice that it was strictly forbidden since this wasn't a work asset and my network activity was cut at that point.

The note I receive is:

"Your device, IP Address xx.xxx.xx.xx has been identified as exhibiting unusal [sic] network activity by the Unum network security team.

This type of network activity is typically the result of having a virus, worm, or malware on your device.

Your device is currently isolated from the network until this issue is resolved.

If this is a personal device it is your responsibility to correct the issue."

So, are there any settings or things that I might be able to add to circumvent these issues?  I've already submitted a ticket with the network security team.

Also, to be clear, I don't intend on breaking any policies or rules over this.  If it won't work, it won't work.  But, I wanted to give it a fair chance

Thanks All and love this community!
Nick

Re: [Chugalug] Firewalled at work: Network Security Question

Jared Hamilton
Usually devices on internal networks are identified and authenticated
while being assigned an IP address. It sounds like when you switched the
ethernet cables out it recognized the change in MAC address and thought
it was an intruder. There's a reason there are guest networks. Why don't
you wait until you get home to correct the driver issues, and then bring
the laptop back? My guess is the laptop is only blacklisted on the
internal network, not the guest one, and it will be much easier than
trying to explain why you were using the network cable from your
workstation on your personal device.

--
Jared H.
"I have morals! If you don't like them, I have others!"

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 11:38:27AM -0500, Nick LaPorta wrote:

> Hey guys:
>
> Long time lurker, first time poster. (Apologize for the length, longer than I
> intended)
>
> While I'm not a super user, as some on this list, I have built a few *nix boxes
> /laptops, etc and would certainly classify myself as still a step under
> intermediate, but not beginner.
>
> Quick one (hopefully) for you all.  Recently (2 days ago) installed the latest
> Debian distro on a Dell D630 - not sure what other details would be needed here
> - and am having trouble connecting to the guest wireless network here at work
> (Unum). Side note: I've never connected wirelessly. In an effort to resolve the
> wireless broadcom driver issue, I needed access to wget commands via web so I
> plugged into ethernet and after like 20 seconds, got a notice that it was
> strictly forbidden since this wasn't a work asset and my network activity was
> cut at that point.
>
> The note I receive is:
>

>     "Your device, IP Address xx.xxx.xx.xx has been identified as exhibiting
>     unusal [sic] network activity by the Unum network security team.
>
>     This type of network activity is typically the result of having a virus,
>     worm, or malware on your device.
>
>     Your device is currently isolated from the network until this issue is
>     resolved.
>
>     If this is a personal device it is your responsibility to correct the
>     issue."
>

> So, are there any settings or things that I might be able to add to circumvent
> these issues?  I've already submitted a ticket with the network security team.
>

> Also, to be clear, I don't intend on breaking any policies or rules over this.
> If it won't work, it won't work.  But, I wanted to give it a fair chance
>
> Thanks All and love this community!
> Nick

Re: [Chugalug] Firewalled at work: Network Security Question

Nick LaPorta
Realized that I wasn't very clear in my original email. Yesterday I was having a firmware issue with the wireless drivers.  So, when I got home last night I corrected that issue.  Installed drivers, connected to my own personal network wirelessly, etc; other networks were visible as well.  Was able to browse the web and all was good.

So, I figured, now that I have wireless drivers working, let me try the guest wireless network at work.  Booted up this morning and it recognized the guest network. Then I was (as per the normal routine) redirected to the guest network credentials site where I entered my user name and passsword (note: this works just fine when using my iphone).

Browsed for CNN.com and that's when I was presented with the error I stated in the original message above.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 11:58 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Usually devices on internal networks are identified and authenticated
while being assigned an IP address. It sounds like when you switched the
ethernet cables out it recognized the change in MAC address and thought
it was an intruder. There's a reason there are guest networks. Why don't
you wait until you get home to correct the driver issues, and then bring
the laptop back? My guess is the laptop is only blacklisted on the
internal network, not the guest one, and it will be much easier than
trying to explain why you were using the network cable from your
workstation on your personal device.

--
Jared H.
"I have morals! If you don't like them, I have others!"

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 11:38:27AM -0500, Nick LaPorta wrote:
> Hey guys:
>
> Long time lurker, first time poster. (Apologize for the length, longer than I
> intended)
>
> While I'm not a super user, as some on this list, I have built a few *nix boxes
> /laptops, etc and would certainly classify myself as still a step under
> intermediate, but not beginner.
>
> Quick one (hopefully) for you all.  Recently (2 days ago) installed the latest
> Debian distro on a Dell D630 - not sure what other details would be needed here
> - and am having trouble connecting to the guest wireless network here at work
> (Unum). Side note: I've never connected wirelessly. In an effort to resolve the
> wireless broadcom driver issue, I needed access to wget commands via web so I
> plugged into ethernet and after like 20 seconds, got a notice that it was
> strictly forbidden since this wasn't a work asset and my network activity was
> cut at that point.
>
> The note I receive is:
>

>     "Your device, IP Address xx.xxx.xx.xx has been identified as exhibiting
>     unusal [sic] network activity by the Unum network security team.
>
>     This type of network activity is typically the result of having a virus,
>     worm, or malware on your device.
>
>     Your device is currently isolated from the network until this issue is
>     resolved.
>
>     If this is a personal device it is your responsibility to correct the
>     issue."
>

> So, are there any settings or things that I might be able to add to circumvent
> these issues?  I've already submitted a ticket with the network security team.
>

> Also, to be clear, I don't intend on breaking any policies or rules over this.
> If it won't work, it won't work.  But, I wanted to give it a fair chance
>
> Thanks All and love this community!
> Nick

Re: [Chugalug] Firewalled at work: Network Security Question

Dave Brockman
On 1/9/2015 1:24 PM, Nick LaPorta wrote:
> So, I figured, now that I have wireless drivers working, let me try the
> guest wireless network at work.  Booted up this morning and it
> recognized the guest network. Then I was (as per the normal routine)
> redirected to the guest network credentials site where I entered my user
> name and passsword (note: this works just fine when using my iphone).
>
> Browsed for CNN.com and that's when I was presented with the error I
> stated in the original message above.

Only someone with access to Unum NAC system can tell you what traffic
your machine triggered.  I can't think of anything off the top of my
head on a default Debian install that would appear malicious, but I
didn't configure their Network Access Control system either.  My gut
tells me it's something silly and overly restrictive, but my gut doesn't
get you access to their network :(

Re: [Chugalug] Firewalled at work: Network Security Question

Dan Lyke
On 1/9/2015 1:24 PM, Nick LaPorta wrote:
> So, I figured, now that I have wireless drivers working, let me try the
> guest wireless network at work.  Booted up this morning and it
> recognized the guest network. Then I was (as per the normal routine)
> redirected to the guest network credentials site where I entered my user
> name and passsword (note: this works just fine when using my iphone).

Use ufw to turn off *all* outbound traffic, and then enable outbound
traffic as you need it?

ie:
sudo ufw enable
sudo ufw default deny outgoing
sudo ufw allow out to any port 80
sudo ufw allow out to any port 443
# I suspect you'll need DNS...
sudo ufw allow out to any port 53

Someone smarter about UFW than me probably has a "here's how to use it
intelligently for outbound blocking"...

On 1/9/2015 2:24 PM, Dan Lyke wrote:

> On 1/9/2015 1:24 PM, Nick LaPorta wrote:
>> So, I figured, now that I have wireless drivers working, let me try the
>> guest wireless network at work.  Booted up this morning and it
>> recognized the guest network. Then I was (as per the normal routine)
>> redirected to the guest network credentials site where I entered my user
>> name and passsword (note: this works just fine when using my iphone).
>
> Use ufw to turn off *all* outbound traffic, and then enable outbound
> traffic as you need it?
>
> ie:
> sudo ufw enable
> sudo ufw default deny outgoing
> sudo ufw allow out to any port 80
> sudo ufw allow out to any port 443
> # I suspect you'll need DNS...
> sudo ufw allow out to any port 53
>
> Someone smarter about UFW than me probably has a "here's how to use it
> intelligently for outbound blocking"...

The only other thing I can think of would be DHCP...

iptables -A INPUT  -i eth0 -p udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p udp --sport 68 --dport 67 -j ACCEPT

Re: [Chugalug] Firewalled at work: Network Security Question

Dr.D

Yes, blocking is good…. But what is sick?

Re: [Chugalug] Firewalled at work: Network Security Question

Nick LaPorta
So, someone from the Security team called me and guessed that it was more of a networking issue at this point.  He did suggest installing an anti-virus for the machine just in case there was some initial check on the machine prior to letting it access the network.  He couldn't confirm any sort of process that may have run as that initial check.

The ticket has moved to the networking team and I've been told that someone is looking into it...

More to come upon resolution.

Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures

Re: [Chugalug] Firewalled at work: Network Security Question

Nick LaPorta
Yep, that's exactly what it is...

Now, to find out how that is configured and what it is looking for...