[Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

12

[Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

Mike Harrison-4

Been playing with Allwinner H2/H3 based Arm boards that typically have Android on them.

Using SD cards, I can burn Armbian to them using some script that essentially DD’s an image to the eMMC memory. It works. Takes about 30 minutes.

i.e.: dd if=armbian.img of=/dev/mmcblk0

There is some Windows software (Phoenix Suite) that can also do this, very quickly (2-3 minutes), over a USB connection to the device. But it is very picky about the .img files it uses. We haven’t been able to get it to recognize an Armbian image.

Our goal is to quickly flash the eMMC on these boxes (we’ll have a lot of them), via USB.

We need to either: figure out how to make a Linux image that Phoenix Suite will understand/use or how to do this directly. Linux computer to Arm device.

Any of you hardware hackers out there got a clue you could share?

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

Dave Brockman
On 5/19/2017 2:41 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:

> Been playing with Allwinner H2/H3 based Arm boards that typically
> have Android on them.
>
> Using SD cards, I can burn Armbian to them using some script that
> essentially DD’s an image to the eMMC memory. It works. Takes about
> 30 minutes.
>
> i.e.: dd if=armbian.img of=/dev/mmcblk0
>
> There is some Windows software (Phoenix Suite) that can also do this,
> very quickly (2-3 minutes), over a USB connection to the device. But
> it is very picky about the .img files it uses. We haven’t been able
> to get it to recognize an Armbian image.
>
> Our goal is to quickly flash the eMMC on these boxes (we’ll have a
> lot of them), via USB.
>
> We need to either: figure out how to make a Linux image that Phoenix
> Suite will understand/use or how to do this directly. Linux computer
> to Arm device.
>

> Any of you hardware hackers out there got a clue you could share?

I use Win32DiskImager usually for installed images:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

 I use RUFUS for ISO to USB (pretty sure I've used it to write to SD as
well):

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Have you played with specifying block size with your dd commands?  I
know it's supposed to automatically pick the optimum block size, but you
know, trust but verify and all.

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

I'm too busy/lazy right now to look up Allwinner specs, but I recently used stm32flash on Debian to flash a Cortex Arm Gotek drive for my Amiga1000.   Glad it didn't take 30 minutes, cause I was manually holding the non-soldered leads, lol.   I have no idea if stm32flash will work for what you are doing, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

Ed King-2

ps: here is the page I "followed"

https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

I tried to use that shitty Windows program that he talks about; never could get it to work.   stm32flash worked correctly the FIRST time.

[...]

chugalug.org
Chattanooga Unix Gnu Android Linux Users Group. To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the Chugalug Archives. Using Chugalug

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

michael pearson
TRY
dd if=armbian.img of=/dev/rmmcblk0 bs=1m

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 2:41 PM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

Been playing with Allwinner H2/H3 based Arm boards that typically have Android on them.

Using SD cards, I can burn Armbian to them using some script that essentially DD’s an image to the eMMC memory. It works. Takes about 30 minutes.

i.e.: dd if=armbian.img of=/dev/mmcblk0

There is some Windows software (Phoenix Suite) that can also do this, very quickly (2-3 minutes), over a USB connection to the device. But it is very picky about the .img files it uses. We haven’t been able to get it to recognize an Armbian image.

Our goal is to quickly flash the eMMC on these boxes (we’ll have a lot of them), via USB.

We need to either: figure out how to make a Linux image that Phoenix Suite will understand/use or how to do this directly. Linux computer to Arm device.

Any of you hardware hackers out there got a clue you could share?

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

Mike Harrison-4

> On Jun 1, 2017, at 6:50 PM, michael pearson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> TRY
> dd if=armbian.img of=/dev/rmmcblk0 bs=1m

Ok. I’ll bite. rmmcblk0 ?  Did a search for rmmcblk0 (as opposed to mmcblk0) with no results.

Where we got to:

The factory instructions shed light:  http://linux-sunxi.org/LiveSuit_images

"LiveSuit/Phoenix protocol and data are closed-source standard used by many companies and devices. To decrypt/unpack firmware you need unpacker and 3 keys. These keys are same across all sunxi devices and can be different on other brands (SoChip, Rockchip and others). Keys are usually shipped with firmware as .key file.”

And a bunch of stuff that essentially says “works in rare cases” and “I’ll pay $50 to the first guy that figures this out” on the OEM’s page.

Remember the goal was to NOT use DD via an SD or USB drive/card, but direct USB via what they label PhoenixUSB, essentially a direct load method in their chipset via USB.

At the point, we are resigned to flashing them the hard way (“dd if=ourimage.img of=/dev/mmcblk0”) , and working with Allwinner (the chip maker) for a larger order in the future.

As a side note: a quad core ARM running on good eMMC and Ram is a sweet little Linux server. Something that a few years ago cost a lot of money.

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

Ed King-2

>Remember the goal was to NOT use DD via an SD or USB drive/card, but direct USB via what they label PhoenixUSB, essentially a direct load method in their chipset via USB.

I dunno if this is helpful or even relevant to what you are trying to do, but check out this page...

http://spritesmods.com/?art=macsearm&page=5

scroll half way down the page and check out how he did a firmware flash using...    drumroll please...   mcopy

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

Mike Harrison-4

> On Jun 6, 2017, at 1:42 PM, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> >Remember the goal was to NOT use DD via an SD or USB drive/card, but direct USB via what they label PhoenixUSB, essentially a direct load method in their chipset via USB.
>

> I dunno if this is helpful or even relevant to what you are trying to do, but check out this page...
>
> http://spritesmods.com/?art=macsearm&page=5
>
> scroll half way down the page and check out how he did a firmware flash using...    drumroll please…   mcopy

That’s interesting.

   "mcopy -o -i /dev/sda firmware.bin ::/ && sudo blockdev --flushbufs /dev/sda”

is the gem.

Kewl, I learned something today. :) Thanks.

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

DaWorm
Hey Mike,
  Any chance one of these little ARM boxes could do the following all at once?

1. Act as WiFi router with LAN or USB cellular modem uplink.  Throughput not much of an issue (10 MBS would be overkill) but it would need to support 30 - 50 clients (not PCs), something Android hotspot can't do.  Bonus if WPA2 Enterprise.

2. Firewall and DHCP server

3. Drive a display with touchscreen using either frame buffer or X (doesn't need hi def video, just typical touch UI stuff).

4. Drive a USB serial peripheral

5. Support Bluetooth 4.0 / BLE, possibly through USB adapter if need be.

6. Run an application that uses #3, #4 and #5 that can act as a server on the same net as being served via WiFi and connect to remote server using TCP and TLS 1.2 on the same net as being used as the uplink.

7. Be capable of updating application in #6 remotely.

8. Be capable of updating the entire system remotely.

9. Cost less than $150 with CPU, RAM and eMCC.

Thanks,
  Jeff

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

Phil Sieg
Hey Jeff,

How many would you need, that is the driver for the price. I feel confident we can build it out to do all that you listed.

Phil Sieg
Founder
ring-u llc
www.ring-u.com (coming soon)
[hidden email]

Phone: 423.567.4888
Mobile: 423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

On Jun 12, 2017, at 10:54 PM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

2k plus per year, probably quite a bit more.  Some smaller volume versions might not need router functionality but would need to drive several peripherals, probably all via USB.

On Jun 12, 2017 10:58 PM, "Phil Sieg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Jeff,

How many would you need, that is the driver for the price. I feel confident we can build it out to do all that you listed.

Phil Sieg
Founder
ring-u llc
www.ring-u.com (coming soon)
[hidden email]

Phone: <a href="tel:(423)%20567-4888" value="+14235674888" target="_blank">423.567.4888
Mobile: <a href="tel:(423)%20331-0725" value="+14233310725" target="_blank">423.331.0725

[...]

Jeff,

I will let mike reply and ask questions regarding function. I am the hardware side, and I do the building. Mike and I will discuss tomorrow.

IF we put some time into design gratis, and provide a mobo only proof of concept, will we be able to secure a contract with a minimum qty per qtr/annum?

On Jun 12, 2017, at 11:31 PM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:

2k plus per year, probably quite a bit more.  Some smaller volume versions might not need router functionality but would need to drive several peripherals, probably all via USB.

On Jun 12, 2017 10:58 PM, "Phil Sieg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Jeff,

How many would you need, that is the driver for the price. I feel confident we can build it out to do all that you listed.

Phil Sieg
Founder
ring-u llc
www.ring-u.com (coming soon)
[hidden email]

Phone: <a href="tel:(423)%20567-4888" value="+14235674888" target="_blank" class="">423.567.4888
Mobile: <a href="tel:(423)%20331-0725" value="+14233310725" target="_blank" class="">423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

On Jun 12, 2017, at 10:54 PM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Mike,
  Any chance one of these little ARM boxes could do the following all at once?

1. Act as WiFi router with LAN or USB cellular modem uplink.  Throughput not much of an issue (10 MBS would be overkill) but it would need to support 30 - 50 clients (not PCs), something Android hotspot can't do.  Bonus if WPA2 Enterprise.

2. Firewall and DHCP server

3. Drive a display with touchscreen using either frame buffer or X (doesn't need hi def video, just typical touch UI stuff).

4. Drive a USB serial peripheral

5. Support Bluetooth 4.0 / BLE, possibly through USB adapter if need be.

6. Run an application that uses #3, #4 and #5 that can act as a server on the same net as being served via WiFi and connect to remote server using TCP and TLS 1.2 on the same net as being used as the uplink.

7. Be capable of updating application in #6 remotely.

8. Be capable of updating the entire system remotely.

9. Cost less than $150 with CPU, RAM and eMCC.

Thanks,
  Jeff

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

> On Jun 12, 2017, at 10:54 PM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey Mike,
>   Any chance one of these little ARM boxes could do the following all at once?
>
> 1. Act as WiFi router with LAN or USB cellular modem uplink.  Throughput not much of an issue (10 MBS would be overkill) but it would need to support 30 - 50 clients (not PCs), something Android hotspot can't do.  Bonus if WPA2 Enterprise.

Our boards do not have WiFi, on purpose.
It also doesn’t have a 2nd ethernet port.

> 2. Firewall and DHCP server
> 3. Drive a display with touchscreen using either frame buffer or X (doesn't need hi def video, just typical touch UI stuff).
> 4. Drive a USB serial peripheral
> 5. Support Bluetooth 4.0 / BLE, possibly through USB adapter if need be.

Same as WiFi, don’t have that, on purpose.

> 6. Run an application that uses #3, #4 and #5 that can act as a server on the same net as being served via WiFi and connect to remote server using TCP and TLS 1.2 on the same net as being used as the uplink.
> 7. Be capable of updating application in #6 remotely.
> 8. Be capable of updating the entire system remotely.
> 9. Cost less than $150 with CPU, RAM and eMCC.

The rest is trivial, standard Linux stuff. HostAPD for Wifi (Sucketh)

Want to start playing cheap: https://www.armbian.com/beelinkx2/

has Wifi, and I think Bluetooth. I’ll fire one up and test.

Raspberry Pi 3’s are awesome as well.

If the real work this does is as a WiFi AP, I’d start with serious WiFi hardware because what you are paying for is good radio chips and antenna.
Then I’d install https://openwrt.org/

As long as you use an AP with enough RAM, CPU and Storage (a lot of AP's can use SD cards or USB for expanded storage…) that’d be where to start.

If you want custom hardware and want 1000 pieces minimum, I/we know a couple of starting places for white label custom hardware.

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

DaWorm
Want a bicycle business meeting this afternoon?  Planning on riding about 6pm from the dam.  Could meet somewhere between there and where Riverbend begins.  Easier to explain what I'm looking for face to face.

Jeff

On Jun 13, 2017 8:36 AM, "Mike Harrison" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2017, at 10:54 PM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey Mike,
>   Any chance one of these little ARM boxes could do the following all at once?
>
> 1. Act as WiFi router with LAN or USB cellular modem uplink.  Throughput not much of an issue (10 MBS would be overkill) but it would need to support 30 - 50 clients (not PCs), something Android hotspot can't do.  Bonus if WPA2 Enterprise.

Our boards do not have WiFi, on purpose.
It also doesn’t have a 2nd ethernet port.

> 2. Firewall and DHCP server
> 3. Drive a display with touchscreen using either frame buffer or X (doesn't need hi def video, just typical touch UI stuff).
> 4. Drive a USB serial peripheral
> 5. Support Bluetooth 4.0 / BLE, possibly through USB adapter if need be.

Same as WiFi, don’t have that, on purpose.

> 6. Run an application that uses #3, #4 and #5 that can act as a server on the same net as being served via WiFi and connect to remote server using TCP and TLS 1.2 on the same net as being used as the uplink.
> 7. Be capable of updating application in #6 remotely.
> 8. Be capable of updating the entire system remotely.
> 9. Cost less than $150 with CPU, RAM and eMCC.

The rest is trivial, standard Linux stuff. HostAPD for Wifi (Sucketh)

Want to start playing cheap: https://www.armbian.com/beelinkx2/

has Wifi, and I think Bluetooth. I’ll fire one up and test.

Raspberry Pi 3’s are awesome as well.

If the real work this does is as a WiFi AP, I’d start with serious WiFi hardware because what you are paying for is good radio chips and antenna.
Then I’d install https://openwrt.org/

As long as you use an AP with enough RAM, CPU and Storage (a lot of AP's can use SD cards or USB for expanded storage…) that’d be where to start.

If you want custom hardware and want 1000 pieces minimum, I/we know a couple of starting places for white label custom hardware.

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

Mike Harrison-4

> On Jun 13, 2017, at 1:47 PM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Want a bicycle business meeting this afternoon?  Planning on riding about 6pm from the dam.  Could meet somewhere between there and where Riverbend begins.  Easier to explain what I'm looking for face to face.

Would love to do it Wednesday or Thursday. I’ve got friends from far far away in town tonight.

Will send email with direct synchronous communications infomration.

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

DaWorm
Wednesday sounds good.

Jeff.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2017, at 1:47 PM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Want a bicycle business meeting this afternoon?  Planning on riding about 6pm from the dam.  Could meet somewhere between there and where Riverbend begins.  Easier to explain what I'm looking for face to face.

Would love to do it Wednesday or Thursday. I’ve got friends from far far away in town tonight.

Will send email with direct synchronous communications infomration.

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

Jason Brown
My question: Why hasn't Matt asked me about this yet ;)

I've got some idea, likely incorrect, of the use case you have in mind for work and it sounds like an interesting project.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 5:21 PM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wednesday sounds good.

Jeff.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2017, at 1:47 PM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Want a bicycle business meeting this afternoon?  Planning on riding about 6pm from the dam.  Could meet somewhere between there and where Riverbend begins.  Easier to explain what I'm looking for face to face.

Would love to do it Wednesday or Thursday. I’ve got friends from far far away in town tonight.

Will send email with direct synchronous communications infomration.

Re: [Chugalug] Flashing Linux on ARM/android devices.

Stephen Kraus
Add some LORA for low power long distance Coms ;)

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 8:54 AM, Jason Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
My question: Why hasn't Matt asked me about this yet ;)

I've got some idea, likely incorrect, of the use case you have in mind for work and it sounds like an interesting project.

Probably because he doesn't know anything about it.

;-)

Jeff.

12