[Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

[Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

Chad Smith
So back in the day, I used to really enjoy downloading LiveCD Linux distros just to try them out.  With the move away from Optical media - I'm not sure how popular this is anymore...  But since I am in the market for a new distro, after having been away for so long, I wondered if there was a quick and easy way to test different desktop environments.

So here's a question - does a distro exist --- or is it possible in pretty much any distro, and I'm just too dumb to know about it --- a quick and easy way to switch between Desktop Environments?

I mean could I download an ISO that would let me try KDE, Gnome, Cinnamon, XFCE, Enlightenment, etc. - without having to uninstall and reinstall a bunch of things --- or the whole OS.  Just like a Super Mario Maker drop-down menu to switch between graphic styles ... or a simple log out of KDE, log into XFCE, log out of that and into Fluxbox....

I think a DE comparison test distro could be helpful.  Sometimes it's hard to judge just based on screenshots.

Of course, "Good idea, you should build that" is an acceptable answer - but not a particularly productive one in this case.

( The Mario Maker reference can be seen here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJNbGGAN8Yc  )

Re: [Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

Unkmar

Yes. I usually use Debian and it is common among distros to be able to switch desktop environments without rebooting. Caveat, once the heavier ones are installed, some of there hefty cruft lingers even when you switch. Also, many desktops have a preferred desktop manager. Gnome users gdm by default, LXDE uses lightdm.  However your desktop manager won't change just because you change desktop environments. When multiple are installed, you can choose your desktop at GUI the login screen.

Lucius L. Hilley III

On Dec 6, 2016 8:02 PM, "Chad Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I ended up installing Peppermint OS.  I looked at Linux Mint first - but the default DE (at least on the Live CD) was horribly bland and almost retro looking (not in a good way).  I had a slight hickup with my WiFi - but a quick google lead me to an easy solution - and so here we are.

As for the Desktop Environment try-out distro - thanks for the suggestions / ideas. I may revisit that the next time I come across a system I want to do a fresh Linux install on.  :)

- Chad W. Smith

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Andrew Rodgers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I just found instructions for building that DE sampler ISO with Ubuntu:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

On January 1, 2017 9:08:52 PM EST, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ed King-2

So here's a question - does a distro exist --- or is it possible in pretty much any distro, and I'm just too dumb to know about it --- a quick and easy way to switch between Desktop Environments?

slackware.  xwmconfig

next!

Re: [Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

Robert Kelly III
With Debian, you can install multiple DEs and the display manager will automatically give you options to choose which one to use when you log in. You can change which display manager is in use with:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm|kdm|xdm|etc

On January 2, 2017 3:37:25 AM EST, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:

So here's a question - does a distro exist --- or is it possible in pretty much any distro, and I'm just too dumb to know about it --- a quick and easy way to switch between Desktop Environments?

slackware.  xwmconfig

next!

Re: [Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

Ed King-2

Slack and Deb are my 2 fav distros.  All those DE choices at my fanger tips, yet I stay in KDE 99.999 percent of the time :)

DE is not important anyway...    all "real work" gets done at the cli level!

Re: [Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

Jonathan Calloway

Actually, all “real work” gets done in VI. . .

<JC>

Slack and Deb are my 2 fav distros.  All those DE choices at my fanger tips, yet I stay in KDE 99.999 percent of the time :)

DE is not important anyway...    all "real work" gets done at the cli level!

With Debian, you can install multiple DEs and the display manager will automatically give you options to choose which one to use when you log in. You can change which display manager is in use with:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm|kdm|xdm|etc

On January 2, 2017 3:37:25 AM EST, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:

So here's a question - does a distro exist --- or is it possible in pretty much any distro, and I'm just too dumb to know about it --- a quick and easy way to switch between Desktop Environments?

slackware.  xwmconfig.

next!

Re: [Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

Ed King-2

real work can only be done from a green screen terminal 😉

I got this Televideo terminal from Rod (many years ago).  Its probably one of my favorite items in my computer collection.   I loves me some phosphorus

Actually, all “real work” gets done in VI. . .

<JC>

Slack and Deb are my 2 fav distros.  All those DE choices at my fanger tips, yet I stay in KDE 99.999 percent of the time :)

DE is not important anyway...    all "real work" gets done at the cli level!

Re: [Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

Jonathan Calloway

So what you’re really saying is that REAL work gets done in ISPF?

<JC>

[...]

You win!

<JC>

real work can only be done from a green screen terminal 😉

I got this Televideo terminal from Rod (many years ago).  Its probably one of my favorite items in my computer collection.   I loves me some phosphorus

Actually, all “real work” gets done in VI. . .

<JC>

Slack and Deb are my 2 fav distros.  All those DE choices at my fanger tips, yet I stay in KDE 99.999 percent of the time :)

DE is not important anyway...    all "real work" gets done at the cli level!

Re: [Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:

You win!

<JC>

real work can only be done from a green screen terminal 😉

I got this Televideo terminal from Rod (many years ago).  Its probably one of my favorite items in my computer collection.   I loves me some phosphorus

Actually, all “real work” gets done in VI. . .

<JC>

Slack and Deb are my 2 fav distros.  All those DE choices at my fanger tips, yet I stay in KDE 99.999 percent of the time :)

DE is not important anyway...    all "real work" gets done at the cli level!

Re: [Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

Aaron welch
See you guys are joking, but there is optical tape in our equipment room that has actual data on it. I mean the original black dots on clear tape data storage medium.

-AW

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 3, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:

You win!

<JC>

real work can only be done from a green screen terminal 😉

I got this Televideo terminal from Rod (many years ago).  Its probably one of my favorite items in my computer collection.   I loves me some phosphorus

Actually, all “real work” gets done in VI. . .

<JC>

Slack and Deb are my 2 fav distros.  All those DE choices at my fanger tips, yet I stay in KDE 99.999 percent of the time :)

DE is not important anyway...    all "real work" gets done at the cli level!

Re: [Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

Jonathan Calloway

Actually, I wasn’t joking, really.  I actually spend about 95% of my day in ISPF. . .

<JC>

real work can only be done from a green screen terminal 😉

I got this Televideo terminal from Rod (many years ago).  Its probably one of my favorite items in my computer collection.   I loves me some phosphorus

Actually, all “real work” gets done in VI. . .

<JC>

Slack and Deb are my 2 fav distros.  All those DE choices at my fanger tips, yet I stay in KDE 99.999 percent of the time :)

DE is not important anyway...    all "real work" gets done at the cli level!

Re: [Chugalug] Follow-up - Desktop Environment Test Distro?

I'll give you $100 for a few minutes, alone, in your equipment room