[Chugalug] Forum Software

David Rucker
I am looking at building a forum website for my program at school. Something where the students and admin can exchange information and ideas easily.

I am part of a website that uses vBulletin and really like the way it looks and operates. However when I looked into vBulletin its expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with any that are free and if not close to it that are fairly clean and easy to use on the User side of things? Complexity on the admin side doesn't matter and I have no preference as to options however the more the better.

Oh and also I do my domain registration and hosting with GoDaddy and currently have plesk hosting enabled because it worked the best across all my computers. Which include multiple versions of Windows, OS X Yosemite, and Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance!
David Rucker

Re: [Chugalug] Forum Software

Dan Lyke
On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Jonathan Calloway
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh come on. . . get REAL geeky. . build something with Drupal!

I gave up trying to get other people to use the code that runs
Flutterby.com a decade ago, but it at one point hand bidirectional
NNTP gatewaying, and does all sorts of other groovy.

Which is the long way of asking: Drupal, why start with something that
locks you into those high level decisions?

Re: [Chugalug] Forum Software

Michael Harrison

> On Jul 21, 2015, at 6:54 PM, David Rucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am looking at building a forum website for my program at school. Something where the students and admin can exchange information and ideas easily.
>
> I am part of a website that uses vBulletin and really like the way it looks and operates. However when I looked into vBulletin its expensive.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with any that are free and if not close to it that are fairly clean and easy to use on the User side of things? Complexity on the admin side doesn't matter and I have no preference as to options however the more the better.

I’d start with some of the new Slack clones, but for pure “bulletin boards" Simple Machines Forum impressed me many years ago, compared to phpBB and the other dreck.

If I had a contiguous block of time, I’d consider building one using one of the new Web RTC (Real Time Communications) JavaScript-ish things, just so I could invent new cuss words for JavaScript.
https://scotch.io/tutorials/building-a-slack-clone-in-meteor-js-getting-started  is the entrance to one of those rabbit holes

If it really is for school, consider “Moodle” https://moodle.org/  Which while it’s theoretically a LMS (Learning Management System), it’s really got a lot of forum features, it uses the “room” analogy and can launch courses elsewhere (MOOC) through standard protocols like AICC and SCORM. (I digress, I’ve built a few learning management systems).

—Mike--

Re: [Chugalug] Forum Software

Jared Hamilton
On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 06:54:08PM -0400, David Rucker wrote:

>   I am looking at building a forum website for my program at school.
>   Something where the students and admin can exchange information and ideas
>   easily.
>   I am part of a website that uses vBulletin and really like the way it
>   looks and operates. However when I looked into vBulletin its expensive.
>   Does anyone have any experience with any that are free and if not close to
>   it that are fairly clean and easy to use on the User side of things?
>   Complexity on the admin side doesn't matter and I have no preference as to
>   options however the more the better.
>   Oh and also I do my domain registration and hosting with GoDaddy and
>   currently have plesk hosting enabled because it worked the best across all
>   my computers. Which include multiple versions of Windows, OS X Yosemite,
>   and Ubuntu.
>   Thanks in advance!
>   David Rucker

I've used mybb and fluxbb. Both are fantastic, easy to admin (in my experience)
and very configurable from user's standpoint. They both have pretty large dev
communities around them too, which makes it easy to troubleshoot. The only
reason I went with mybb is it's really nice even in mobile browsers. But both
are great. My two cents are in!

Re: [Chugalug] Forum Software

William D. Roush

My two cents: Invision Power board was awesome, but they’re screwing early adopters, so don’t even consider them.

http://www.roushtech.net/2014/12/28/invision-power-revokes-perpetuallifetime-licensing-thoughts/

William Roush

http://www.roushtech.net/

Re: [Chugalug] Forum Software

Unkmar
I helped run a forum for several years.  We moved from Invision Power Board to Simple Machines Forum after lots of research at the time.

Invision Power Board did not leave me with a positive impression at all.  I liked Simple Machine Forums very well.  If I was to go forward from now, I would again look at SMF and compare with Drupal for what I wanted to accomplish and what I might want to accomplish eventually.

SMF is about Forums and pretty tightly limited to that.  My knowledge or Drupal is as a swiss army knife.  You choose how and what to use it.  It can be one or many things.  Therefore, it has a completely different overhead.

Good Luck and I hope you succeed in choosing wisely.  Someone will likely be stuck with the choice for several years.

Lucius L. Hilley III - Unkmar

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 11:43 PM, William D. Roush <[hidden email]> wrote:

My two cents: Invision Power board was awesome, but they’re screwing early adopters, so don’t even consider them.

http://www.roushtech.net/2014/12/28/invision-power-revokes-perpetuallifetime-licensing-thoughts/

William Roush

[hidden email]

http://www.roushtech.net/