[Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

12

[Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

John Dills
Hey everyone,

You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.

I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.

Thanks,
John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Stephen Kraus
Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

John Dills
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Stephen Kraus
Yeah, the wife and I want to move back to Chattanooga. Job hunting now.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:20 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

John Dills
Where are you currently at?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:23 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, the wife and I want to move back to Chattanooga. Job hunting now.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:20 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Stephen Kraus
Atlanta.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:27 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where are you currently at?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:23 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, the wife and I want to move back to Chattanooga. Job hunting now.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:20 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

And they pay what entry level people make in Nashville...

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:20 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:

Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Try Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville, or Birmingham. Chattanooga is a black hole for IT work.

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:27 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Atlanta.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:27 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where are you currently at?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:23 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, the wife and I want to move back to Chattanooga. Job hunting now.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:20 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Stephen Kraus
If it isn't Chattanooga we're going back out west.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:38 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville, or Birmingham. Chattanooga is a black hole for IT work.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:27 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Atlanta.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:27 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where are you currently at?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:23 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, the wife and I want to move back to Chattanooga. Job hunting now.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:20 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Lisa Harrison Ridley
Stephen...any way you can work remote?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:39 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

If it isn't Chattanooga we're going back out west.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:38 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville, or Birmingham. Chattanooga is a black hole for IT work.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:27 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Atlanta.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:27 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where are you currently at?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:23 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, the wife and I want to move back to Chattanooga. Job hunting now.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:20 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

There is metric crap tons of well paying, IT related jobs in the Raleigh / RDU / RTP / Durham / areas.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 10:39 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
If it isn't Chattanooga we're going back out west.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:38 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville, or Birmingham. Chattanooga is a black hole for IT work.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:27 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Atlanta.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:27 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where are you currently at?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:23 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, the wife and I want to move back to Chattanooga. Job hunting now.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:20 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Aaron welch
I am headed to NY, CA, TX, or SC. Wherever the money flows.

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:49 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

There is metric crap tons of well paying, IT related jobs in the Raleigh / RDU / RTP / Durham / areas.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 10:39 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
If it isn't Chattanooga we're going back out west.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:38 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville, or Birmingham. Chattanooga is a black hole for IT work.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:27 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Atlanta.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:27 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where are you currently at?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:23 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, the wife and I want to move back to Chattanooga. Job hunting now.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:20 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

David White-2
You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.

John, best of luck to you, and congratulations on the new job. It's been great having an EPB guy on Chugalug. You've been helpful to a lot of us on a number of occasions. Thank you for that.
I hope you have a smooth transition.

I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

I know it's too late to suggest this to you, but for the benefit of other people on the list:
I'm currently working in operations for the infosec team at TVA. It's not glamorous, but the team is great. Going through a contracting agency has its disadvantages, and in my case, you don't know what you don't know until you know it when it comes to contracting, but I have absolutely no complaints towards TVA or the people I work with. I think my manager is fantastic. Anyway, circling back around to my point... This has been an awesome opportunity for me to get into the cybersecurity field. They hired me for my sysadmin background, not for my infosec background. But I've gotten to play on some really cool toys, and I've gotten some incredible experience that I probably would not have gotten if I hadn't been working for a cybersecurity shop.

On a side note, I've been slowly studying for my CISSP. I'm almost half way through the training material, although I've been taking my time and am going for context and understanding rather than cramming. I probably know more than I think I do, and am hoping to take the exam in the next year or so (maybe sooner).

any way you can work remote?
 Remote is definitely an option I'd encourage you guys to explore. If you know your stuff, there's a ton of opportunities out there.

Part of the reason I'm still in Chattanooga is for the quality of life, my church and my friends. Fast internet doesn't hurt, either! :)

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 11:53 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am headed to NY, CA, TX, or SC. Wherever the money flows.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:49 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

There is metric crap tons of well paying, IT related jobs in the Raleigh / RDU / RTP / Durham / areas.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 10:39 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
If it isn't Chattanooga we're going back out west.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:38 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville, or Birmingham. Chattanooga is a black hole for IT work.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:27 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Atlanta.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:27 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where are you currently at?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:23 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, the wife and I want to move back to Chattanooga. Job hunting now.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:20 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

The goal is to get back into Chatt-town. Remote would be okay, done it plenty, but its the people and places we miss most.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 10:49 PM Lisa Harrison Ridley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stephen...any way you can work remote?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:39 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

If it isn't Chattanooga we're going back out west.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:38 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville, or Birmingham. Chattanooga is a black hole for IT work.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:27 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Atlanta.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:27 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where are you currently at?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:23 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, the wife and I want to move back to Chattanooga. Job hunting now.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:20 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Jason Brown
We miss you too Stephen ;)

--Jason Brown

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 10:10 AM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
The goal is to get back into Chatt-town. Remote would be okay, done it plenty, but its the people and places we miss most.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 10:49 PM Lisa Harrison Ridley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stephen...any way you can work remote?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:39 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

If it isn't Chattanooga we're going back out west.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:38 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville, or Birmingham. Chattanooga is a black hole for IT work.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:27 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Atlanta.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:27 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where are you currently at?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:23 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, the wife and I want to move back to Chattanooga. Job hunting now.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 10:20 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Haha, luckily I got a place near work.

Also, I agree on the job part. I probably would’ve stayed in Chattanooga if I could’ve found an entry level infosec job but they all required like five years of experience...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good luck and enjoy Houston traffic!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats and farewell!

I will most likely be leaving the area as well in the near future. Chattanooga is not the thriving technology hub that paint it to be in the news.

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:15 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may know me as the guy who occasionally responds to Chugalug threads about EPB problems (since I work in their NOC) - however, starting July 27th I will no longer be that guy. I'm relocating to Houston for a job out there.
>
> I'll still be active (probably more so!) but I thought I'd let everyone know.
>

> Thanks,
> John Dills

Jason Brown

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Mike Harrison-4

> On Jul 6, 2018, at 11:48 AM, Jason Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We miss you too Stephen ;)

Am torn. He’s been a joy to have in Atlanta supporting some ATL ring-u customers.

Good “rent-a-geeks” are hard to find.

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Stephen Kraus
I am also torn between the ready availability of good junk yards and easily acquired electronic scrap down here, but Lyn specifically mentioned that she felt instantly at home when we were up last week. And I can't deny it either.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 11:51 AM Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2018, at 11:48 AM, Jason Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We miss you too Stephen ;)

Am torn. He’s been a joy to have in Atlanta supporting some ATL ring-u customers.

Good “rent-a-geeks” are hard to find.

Re: [Chugalug] Goodbye Chattanooga

Lisa Harrison Ridley
Echoing David’s sentiments regarding remote work….I’ve been working as a remote employee for nearly 8 years now and would not trade this for anything.  I make a better wage working for companies outside Chattanooga (by better, I mean 30 to 50% more than I can reasonably make working for companies in this area), and I get to live here, where the scenery is gorgeous and the cost of living is reasonable, and I don’t have to deal with the traffic issues commuting to/from an office every day.  I also get the flexibility of being able to work anywhere….I’ve worked from a condo at the beach, a cabin in the mountains, a hotel room in Las Vegas and Niagara Falls….pretty much anywhere with a decent internet connection.

It has its downsides, with isolation being one of them.

A distributed or “virtual” workforce is becoming more and more commonplace in this day and age.  The key is finding a company who has embraced and accepted a “virtual” workforce as part of their culture.  If you have the skillsets, a company who has culturally accepted remote employees into their culture will hire you in a heartbeat.

12