[Chugalug] Home Server Rebuild?

12

[Chugalug] Home Server Rebuild?

So my power supply died again on my home server (1.2 years after last replacement... again). And I am thinking it might be time to replace my home server. Looking for some suggestions on what others are using. (Or have unused waiting for someone like me!)

The main thing I am looking for is low heat or heat tolerance. The closet I put it in does not have very good air flow (and also has the hot water heater.).

What is on my home server you ask?
Ubuntu LTS
Tor Node (Relay Only)
Google Cloud Print Connector (and CUPS)
UniFi Gateway
PiHole
Plex Server
GmVault
Backups via Unison

I've thought about also dropping in a few other things like [own|next|.*]cloud.

Re: [Chugalug] Home Server Rebuild?

Jonathan Calloway-2

I’m sure you could write some COBOL programs and use some JCL to do home automation.  But man, having to IPL after the power goes out may get a little tricky. .

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] Home Server Rebuild?

Michael Hodges
I Like OMV (Open Media Vault: https://www.openmediavault.org/ ) and it can be installed on top of Debian/Ubuntu.. even RaspberryPi.
CouchPotato: ( https://couchpota.to/  ) Download movies automatically, easily and in the best quality as soon as they are available
SickRage or SickRageTV [ they are different ] : ( https://www.sickrage.ca/ https://github.com/SiCKRAGE/SiCKRAGE ) AUTOMATIC VIDEO LIBRARY MANAGER FOR TV SHOWS

SyncThing : ( https://syncthing.net/ )  Replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet

Also:
FileBot ( https://www.filebot.net/ )  for file naming. they have a special lifetime cross-platform license available right now.
MusicBrainz Picard: https://picard.musicbrainz.org/ audio tagging and naming
fre:ac - free audio converter : https://www.freac.org/ disc & audio file format converter/ripper
YouTube-DL : https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html Download YouTube and MANY other sites video or Audio files
MakeMKV :  http://www.makemkv.com/ to ripp/convert/backup DVD & BluRay! FREE while in beta with Key : https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1053 ( Current Beta Key: T-JRohkknxtUGHBE5RWnzpxHH01EN4UkVJI8evivBOw56OH8KWxbVE3w6yBTMHm5qF7D good until end of March 2019)

qBittorrent: cross-platform (utorrent compatible) torrent client and tracker ( https://www.qbittorrent.org/ ) (as an addon to that you might want to look at Jacket https://github.com/Jackett/Jackett ) it also supports RSS ( check out http://showrss.info ) and to get your links and torrents to the server https://github.com/bogenpirat/remote-torrent-adder/

if you are planning on running TOR why not i2p as well and if you do you can use Privoxy to route traffic to your chosen DNS servers with PiHole and to those networks too.

And UNDER all that, i'd suggest PIA : Private Internet Access ( https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ ) who are currently running a special and will allow upto 10 connections and port forwarding.

I have good configs or strings/scripts for most of this, if you or anyone would like them or need assistance setting them up.

Grant

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 2:32 PM Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I agree with many of Michael's suggestions, but I'd also like to recommend a few pieces of software that can accomplish the same task. Mainly Deluge (www.deluge-torrent.org) as a cross-platform BitTorrent, and Plex Media Server (www.plex.tv).

Those are what I use. other than that, Michael has this down pat. Hope this helps a little.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 12:42 PM Michael "Grant" Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Is anyone using any of these PCBs?  They are very interesting to me. .

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] Home Server Rebuild?

Jon Nyx
On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:21 AM Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Serious answer: Buy an Asus Router, Install OpenWRT, enable SSH, add an external USB drive, add applications. Skip Ubuntu.

Any particular models you recommend or would avoid?

~~jX

Re: [Chugalug] Home Server Rebuild?

Michael Hodges

You can avoid transcoding if you have the file in multiple resolutions. 1080/720/576 or 480

There is supposed to be a way with MKV files to use it as a pointer to external files so you could have the video segments and everything else separate to save storing duplicate data.

I use FFmpeg you can encode the audio and such once then mux in the video if you want individual files.

[...]

I rip my Blu-Rays and DVDs with MakeMKV, select the audio tracks I want, the subtitles and chapter listings.

After that's done, I run it through HandBrake with some custom presets and usually running passthrough for the audio. However, if you use this, be sure to each time verify your framerate is same as source, otherwise your videos will either look weird, or maybe play at the wrong speed. If size is an issue for you, I can always downmix the DTS-HD or DTS audio to AAC Stereo with Dolby Pro Logic II. If you want these video files to be in native formats for a particular system, choose it from the presets instead of following these instructions, however you will still need to verify the target framerate is "same as source".

Let me know if anyone else has any questions about doing this.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 12:53 PM Michael Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Phil Sieg
Just pulled my old Dell dual quad core server with 32gb ram and am now using a beast of a laptop (i7quad with 16gb ram & SSD).  I am running Plex and ip cam software for the most part and the laptop is better in every way.  Plus it has its own battery backup. Bought it on eBay for $100 and added ram+SSD.  Got a little over $200 in it total and it is by far the best solution for us.

Phil Sieg
Founder ring-u llc
Phone: 423.567.4888
Mobile: 423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds.

"Steve Jobs, 1955-2011
On Mar 19, 2019, at 11:10 AM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you use Plex, and any of your playback devices or communications links require realtime transcoding (example: playback on your phone away from home), then you'll need a beefy processor running Plex Media Server.  Your Raspberry Pi or OpenWRT router or ARM based NAS won't cut it.  Of course not everyone will need that sort of thing, but it is worth considering.

Jeff

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 10:21 AM Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Serious answer: Buy an Asus Router, Install OpenWRT, enable SSH, add an external USB drive, add applications. Skip Ubuntu.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 7:50 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is anyone using any of these PCBs?  They are very interesting to me. .

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] Home Server Rebuild?

Stephen Kraus
I'm running a SuperMicro quad AMD Opteron 12 core (48 total) with 192GB of DDR3 ECC, plus 8TB on the front, that's my virtualization/honeypot/security lab on Xenserver
My other machine is a Quad Opteron with 32GB DDR3 ECC and 8TB running FreeNAS

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 6:21 PM Phil Sieg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Find a dell precision i7, up to 4 sticks of DDR3 and 3 drives + an mSATA.

Would make a good little server.