[Chugalug] Home WiFi these days?

What setups are working well for folks for home wifi these days? Ubiquiti still the best? What Ubiquiti setups are suggested? A simple cheap Linksys (temp wifi/router when my other died) almost, but not quite covers the whole area needed (and is awful for consistent speeds and connection even close to it). So likely only one access point needed and in the same spot as the router and switch.

Re: [Chugalug] Home WiFi these days?

Lynn Dixon
Using ubiquity here, and pfsense for the routing.  I like ubiquty stuff.

On Dec 10, 2017 9:25 PM, "Wil Wade" <[hidden email]> wrote:
What setups are working well for folks for home wifi these days? Ubiquiti still the best? What Ubiquiti setups are suggested? A simple cheap Linksys (temp wifi/router when my other died) almost, but not quite covers the whole area needed (and is awful for consistent speeds and connection even close to it). So likely only one access point needed and in the same spot as the router and switch.

Re: [Chugalug] Home WiFi these days?

Phil Sieg
Ubiquity and pfSense…isn’t that what everybody uses?

Phil Sieg
Founder
ring-u llc
www.ring-u.com

Phone: 423.567.4888
Mobile: 423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

On Dec 10, 2017, at 9:25 PM, Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:

What setups are working well for folks for home wifi these days? Ubiquiti still the best? What Ubiquiti setups are suggested? A simple cheap Linksys (temp wifi/router when my other died) almost, but not quite covers the whole area needed (and is awful for consistent speeds and connection even close to it). So likely only one access point needed and in the same spot as the router and switch.

Re: [Chugalug] Home WiFi these days?

Ed King-2

no...   I'm still on Localtalk

Re: [Chugalug] Home WiFi these days?

DaWorm
No Lantastic for you, eh Ed?

Jeff.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:10 AM, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:

no...   I'm still on Localtalk

Ubiquity and pfSense…isn’t that what everybody uses?

Phil Sieg
Founder
ring-u llc
www.ring-u.com

Phone: <a href="tel:(423)%20567-4888" value="+14235674888" target="_blank">423.567.4888
Mobile: <a href="tel:(423)%20331-0725" value="+14233310725" target="_blank">423.331.0725

On 12/10/2017 9:25 PM, Wil Wade wrote:
> What setups are working well for folks for home wifi these days?
> Ubiquiti still the best? What Ubiquiti setups are suggested? A simple
> cheap Linksys (temp wifi/router when my other died) almost, but not
> quite covers the whole area needed (and is awful for consistent speeds
> and connection even close to it). So likely only one access point needed
> and in the same spot as the router and switch.

I use Unifi (AC-Pro) Access points with a remote Unifi controller.  I
use a virtual pfsense firewall for the house.  I have a unifi switch and
gateway, but they are both in the lab, they don't work for me in
production.  If you have no VPN requirements and have a single VLAN flat
network, I could see where they could be useful in a home arrangement.
I also have an edgerouter that does some NAT tricks for my "build" network.

[Chugalug] rax

Ed King-2

Got a shitload of server racks up for sale.   Motivated seller.   Make an offer.

Located near corner of Central and Main

Can send pictures of the racks to anyone who is interested.

Might be time for a Christmas Chugalunch...    but not today...   that joint called Pucketts (by the Aquarium) is pretty good.  A bit pricey but not too bad.  Live it up.

Re: [Chugalug] Home WiFi these days?

Ended up with buying the AC-Pro and the EdgeRouter X. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am surprised at the uniformity of the access points in the responses. Ubiquiti takes the cake right now apparently.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/10/2017 9:25 PM, Wil Wade wrote:
> What setups are working well for folks for home wifi these days?
> Ubiquiti still the best? What Ubiquiti setups are suggested? A simple
> cheap Linksys (temp wifi/router when my other died) almost, but not
> quite covers the whole area needed (and is awful for consistent speeds
> and connection even close to it). So likely only one access point needed
> and in the same spot as the router and switch.

I use Unifi (AC-Pro) Access points with a remote Unifi controller.  I
use a virtual pfsense firewall for the house.  I have a unifi switch and
gateway, but they are both in the lab, they don't work for me in
production.  If you have no VPN requirements and have a single VLAN flat
network, I could see where they could be useful in a home arrangement.
I also have an edgerouter that does some NAT tricks for my "build" network.

Re: [Chugalug] Home WiFi these days?

That's my exact setup. :)

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ended up with buying the AC-Pro and the EdgeRouter X. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am surprised at the uniformity of the access points in the responses. Ubiquiti takes the cake right now apparently.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/10/2017 9:25 PM, Wil Wade wrote:
> What setups are working well for folks for home wifi these days?
> Ubiquiti still the best? What Ubiquiti setups are suggested? A simple
> cheap Linksys (temp wifi/router when my other died) almost, but not
> quite covers the whole area needed (and is awful for consistent speeds
> and connection even close to it). So likely only one access point needed
> and in the same spot as the router and switch.

I use Unifi (AC-Pro) Access points with a remote Unifi controller.  I
use a virtual pfsense firewall for the house.  I have a unifi switch and
gateway, but they are both in the lab, they don't work for me in
production.  If you have no VPN requirements and have a single VLAN flat
network, I could see where they could be useful in a home arrangement.
I also have an edgerouter that does some NAT tricks for my "build" network.

Re: [Chugalug] Home WiFi these days?

Unkmar
I've been lazy. Please don't make me relinquish my geek card. I just use a Netgear router from Staples. my signal strength is meh. But I prefer wired and that hasn't happened at this spot yet.

On Dec 12, 2017 9:21 PM, "David White" <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's my exact setup. :)

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ended up with buying the AC-Pro and the EdgeRouter X. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am surprised at the uniformity of the access points in the responses. Ubiquiti takes the cake right now apparently.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/10/2017 9:25 PM, Wil Wade wrote:
> What setups are working well for folks for home wifi these days?
> Ubiquiti still the best? What Ubiquiti setups are suggested? A simple
> cheap Linksys (temp wifi/router when my other died) almost, but not
> quite covers the whole area needed (and is awful for consistent speeds
> and connection even close to it). So likely only one access point needed
> and in the same spot as the router and switch.

I use Unifi (AC-Pro) Access points with a remote Unifi controller.  I
use a virtual pfsense firewall for the house.  I have a unifi switch and
gateway, but they are both in the lab, they don't work for me in
production.  If you have no VPN requirements and have a single VLAN flat
network, I could see where they could be useful in a home arrangement.
I also have an edgerouter that does some NAT tricks for my "build" network.

Re: [Chugalug] Home WiFi these days?

Dean Warren
Hey Wil,
What did you pay for the AC-Pro and the EdgeRouter X?
Just curious...Looking to upgrade myself in the next couple of months and stop using the Deathstar standard equipment.

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ended up with buying the AC-Pro and the EdgeRouter X. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am surprised at the uniformity of the access points in the responses. Ubiquiti takes the cake right now apparently.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/10/2017 9:25 PM, Wil Wade wrote:
> What setups are working well for folks for home wifi these days?
> Ubiquiti still the best? What Ubiquiti setups are suggested? A simple
> cheap Linksys (temp wifi/router when my other died) almost, but not
> quite covers the whole area needed (and is awful for consistent speeds
> and connection even close to it). So likely only one access point needed
> and in the same spot as the router and switch.

I use Unifi (AC-Pro) Access points with a remote Unifi controller.  I
use a virtual pfsense firewall for the house.  I have a unifi switch and
gateway, but they are both in the lab, they don't work for me in
production.  If you have no VPN requirements and have a single VLAN flat
network, I could see where they could be useful in a home arrangement.
I also have an edgerouter that does some NAT tricks for my "build" network.

Re: [Chugalug] Home WiFi these days?

$130 for the AC-Pro and $50 for the EdgeRouter X via Amazon. (Usually do ebay these days, but occasionally Amazon is better.)

Have liked them for the most part so far. I do not like that the EdgeRouter does not have the UbiFi software. Really annoying to have to run that on my server instead of having it all separate.

I think the gateway does have it (http://amzn.to/2C4pEfw), but not sure. If I could easily swap to the gateway and a switch I likely would.

Anyone else have the gateway?

Love the quality of the connection and the vlan support.

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 9:22 AM, Dean Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Wil,
What did you pay for the AC-Pro and the EdgeRouter X?
Just curious...Looking to upgrade myself in the next couple of months and stop using the Deathstar standard equipment.

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ended up with buying the AC-Pro and the EdgeRouter X. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am surprised at the uniformity of the access points in the responses. Ubiquiti takes the cake right now apparently.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/10/2017 9:25 PM, Wil Wade wrote:
> What setups are working well for folks for home wifi these days?
> Ubiquiti still the best? What Ubiquiti setups are suggested? A simple
> cheap Linksys (temp wifi/router when my other died) almost, but not
> quite covers the whole area needed (and is awful for consistent speeds
> and connection even close to it). So likely only one access point needed
> and in the same spot as the router and switch.

I use Unifi (AC-Pro) Access points with a remote Unifi controller.  I
use a virtual pfsense firewall for the house.  I have a unifi switch and
gateway, but they are both in the lab, they don't work for me in
production.  If you have no VPN requirements and have a single VLAN flat
network, I could see where they could be useful in a home arrangement.
I also have an edgerouter that does some NAT tricks for my "build" network.

Re: [Chugalug] Home WiFi these days?

Dave Brockman
On 12/25/2017 6:24 PM, Wil Wade wrote:
> Have liked them for the most part so far. I do not like that the
> EdgeRouter does not have the UbiFi software. Really annoying to have to
> run that on my server instead of having it all separate.
>
> I think the gateway does have it (http://amzn.to/2C4pEfw), but not sure.
> If I could easily swap to the gateway and a switch I likely would.
>
> Anyone else have the gateway?

You're looking for the cloud key

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-cloud-key/

2 Cores/2GB Ram/100GB disk makes a fine unifi controller VM if you have
the resources available.  Less disk if you keep less stats, but that
mongo shite grows like crazy over time.

--dtb