[Chugalug] I need a Dumb, PoE Outdoor Security Camera

[Chugalug] I need a Dumb, PoE Outdoor Security Camera

David White-2
Any suggestions for a good IP-based security camera? There are way too many on the market.
I'm looking for:
- PoE IP camera (wired, NOT wireless)
- Outdoor
- Does NOT come with any apps
- Won't phone home (I don't want my stuff -- or even the camera firmware -- trying to connect to anything outside of my LAN -- I'll probably even block the MAC address on my firewall)
- Motion detection
- Dumb (footage will be stored on local NAS)
- Did I mention no apps & no phoning home?What do you recommend?

My DVR will be Synology hardware.

I'm probably not interested in UniFi for a couple of reasons:

Re: [Chugalug] I need a Dumb, PoE Outdoor Security Camera

Dan Lyke
I got an Alptop AT-400B for trying out:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077V8J8WJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I eventually went with Ring 'cause I was tired of trying to get
Zoneminder or any of its competitors running reliably. I feel icky for
having done so, but only so many hours in the day.

In my testing, it looks like the image quality is okay. It worked. I'd
offer it to you, but it probably costs less to buy one than for me to
ship it to you.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM David White <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any suggestions for a good IP-based security camera? There are way too many on the market.
> I'm looking for:
> - PoE IP camera (wired, NOT wireless)
> - Outdoor
> - Does NOT come with any apps
> - Won't phone home (I don't want my stuff -- or even the camera firmware -- trying to connect to anything outside of my LAN -- I'll probably even block the MAC address on my firewall)
> - Motion detection
> - Dumb (footage will be stored on local NAS)
> - Did I mention no apps & no phoning home?What do you recommend?
>
> My DVR will be Synology hardware.
>
> I'm probably not interested in UniFi for a couple of reasons:
>
> I've heard their cameras may not play incredibly nicely with Synology
> They recently snuck in a change to their Wireless AP firmware for it to phone home automatically.... and currently there's no way to opt-out: https://community.ui.com/questions/Update-UniFi-Phone-Home-Performance-Data-Collection/f84a71c9-0b81-4d69-a3b3-45640aba1c8b
>

> --
> David White

Re: [Chugalug] I need a Dumb, PoE Outdoor Security Camera

Nick Smith
I cant help with that as all my cameras phone home. (waves to china)

But i did find this, hopefully it will help in some way

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 8:17 PM Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
I got an Alptop AT-400B for trying out:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077V8J8WJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I eventually went with Ring 'cause I was tired of trying to get
Zoneminder or any of its competitors running reliably. I feel icky for
having done so, but only so many hours in the day.

In my testing, it looks like the image quality is okay. It worked. I'd
offer it to you, but it probably costs less to buy one than for me to
ship it to you.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM David White <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any suggestions for a good IP-based security camera? There are way too many on the market.
> I'm looking for:
> - PoE IP camera (wired, NOT wireless)
> - Outdoor
> - Does NOT come with any apps
> - Won't phone home (I don't want my stuff -- or even the camera firmware -- trying to connect to anything outside of my LAN -- I'll probably even block the MAC address on my firewall)
> - Motion detection
> - Dumb (footage will be stored on local NAS)
> - Did I mention no apps & no phoning home?What do you recommend?
>
> My DVR will be Synology hardware.
>
> I'm probably not interested in UniFi for a couple of reasons:
>
> I've heard their cameras may not play incredibly nicely with Synology
> They recently snuck in a change to their Wireless AP firmware for it to phone home automatically.... and currently there's no way to opt-out: https://community.ui.com/questions/Update-UniFi-Phone-Home-Performance-Data-Collection/f84a71c9-0b81-4d69-a3b3-45640aba1c8b
>

> --
> David White

Re: [Chugalug] I need a Dumb, PoE Outdoor Security Camera

Andrew Rodgers-2
I bought one of these a few months ago and was impressed by the build quality:

If you want a sure thing that supports most of the standard formats and is as close to axis for professional integration as you can get, checkout Hikvision

Andrew

wes

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 5:17 PM Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
it probably costs less to buy one than for me to ship it to you.

Where the heck is it coming from that it would cost more than $40 to ship?

-wes