[Chugalug] IBM buying RedHat. .

Jonathan Calloway-2
This is interesting:

Lynn - looks like you’ll have new bosses soon. .

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] IBM buying RedHat. .

Alex Smith (K4RNT)
At first I didn't know what to say, but I think of all the companies that could acquire Red Hat, IBM seems the most logical choice. Especially if they keep the Red Hat division operating.

-Alex Smith, Server+, Network+

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 10/28/18, 4:57:55 PM

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 4:55 PM Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is interesting:

Lynn - looks like you’ll have new bosses soon. .

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] IBM buying RedHat. .

Billy
I got the news around 2:30p, and my phone has been blowing up since.

There’s four things I take away from all this:

1) IBM placed an “all in” bet on this. Their annual revenue is $80bn. They invested $34bn to buy us. They had to take out a loan in order to execute. Now they’re on the hook to investors to make good on that loan.

2) because of (1), it’s in their best interest to keep us separate. It’s also in the industry’s best interest, because RH must remain a neutral open source company. We have a lot of partners that ARENT IBM. We still need to work with them.

3) As long as we keep to our targets and goals, which we were going to do before this anyways, there’s no reason for IBM to muck with “what works.” They need us to be relevant in this new world. However, in order to grow like we want, we need the relationships and infrastructure that a company like IBM has built.

4) IBM contributed a lot to open source over the years. They invested a billion in 2001 for Linux development on x86. In 2013, they invested another billion for Linux on Power. And yesterday, $34bn in us, Red Hat. If you look at the top 10 contributing companies for opensource in pretty much any mainstream product, IBM is there. IBM, while in a lot of ways stuck in the 1970s, is a big proponent of OSS. How many companies do you work for that use OSS that also contribute back to the community via publishing their code and bugfixes? How many vendors are you using that do the same?

So, I look at this as a good thing. Sure, it’s a surprise. Sure it’s scary. But, we have to grow. It’ll be the same Red Hat for the next 18-24 months. Might even be a better one as this will probably open more doors for us, allow us to have bigger and higher level conversations with customers, and actually hold more sway in negotiating terms for integration and partnerships with other vendors and SI’s.

--b

On Oct 28, 2018, at 8:02 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, we got the news earlier today.  Supposedly IBM is going to let Red Hat be a separate entity and not influence our culture, but that yet remains to be seen.

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 7:55 PM Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is interesting:

Lynn - looks like you’ll have new bosses soon. .

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] IBM buying RedHat. .

Jonathan Calloway-2
Billy,

I appreciate your response on this.  I’m a little non-pulsed with the coverage of this on all the tech sites, claiming that IBM did this as a last ditch effort to keep themselves afloat, or to make them relevant (after all, they still make mainframes!).  I think the tech press doesn’t realize that the back-ends of all of their favorite start-ups, apps and buz-tech is Linux, RH, and yes, IBM.

IBM has been committed to UNIX and Linux for decades.  While they are not technically completely “free” as in Stallman, their contributions cannot be ignored.  They introduced IBM Linux, and now they have even built an entire mainframe hardware structured around Linux called LinuxONE.  I think that this deal not only diversifies their product offerings, but gives even more legitimacy to Linux and its use in the enterprise space.

Just my 2 cents. . .

<JC>

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 30, 2018, at 8:23 AM, Billy <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

will they rename it Blue Hat ?

Lynn - looks like you’ll have new bosses soon. .

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] IBM buying RedHat. .

Billy
No. Lol.

But an interesting tidbit. Ginni Rometty wore purple to our internal Q&A. Though, we joked about it during the call and on the stage, I don’t think she did it on purpose.

It was funny though when pointed out.

--b

On Oct 30, 2018, at 5:56 PM, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:

will they rename it Blue Hat ?

Lynn - looks like you’ll have new bosses soon. .

<JC>

Lynn - looks like you’ll have new bosses soon. .

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] IBM buying RedHat. .

Jonathan Calloway-2
And, your entire site infrastructure for RedHat.com will be switched over to WebSphere!

<JC>

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 31, 2018, at 8:22 AM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

You guys will be running Lotus Notes in no time!

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 8:42 PM Billy <[hidden email]> wrote:
No. Lol.

But an interesting tidbit. Ginni Rometty wore purple to our internal Q&A. Though, we joked about it during the call and on the stage, I don’t think she did it on purpose.

It was funny though when pointed out.

--b

On Oct 30, 2018, at 5:56 PM, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:

will they rename it Blue Hat ?

Lynn - looks like you’ll have new bosses soon. .

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] IBM buying RedHat. .

Billy
You laugh, but you have NO IDEA of the controversy when we switched email to google mail from Zimbra.

And talking to other IBMers that went through mergers, they’re using outlook. And there’s also the real possibility we’ll keep our existing google suite based on whatever contractual terms that were signed.

Like I mentioned. 18-24 months before I have to think about it.

Also, a lot of ibm people use thinkpads, obviously, but also Macs. So the future doesn’t look too bleak in that regard.

--b

On Oct 31, 2018, at 8:22 AM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

You guys will be running Lotus Notes in no time!

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 8:42 PM Billy <[hidden email]> wrote:
No. Lol.

But an interesting tidbit. Ginni Rometty wore purple to our internal Q&A. Though, we joked about it during the call and on the stage, I don’t think she did it on purpose.

It was funny though when pointed out.

--b

On Oct 30, 2018, at 5:56 PM, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:

will they rename it Blue Hat ?

Lynn - looks like you’ll have new bosses soon. .

<JC>

Lynn - looks like you’ll have new bosses soon. .

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] IBM buying RedHat. .

Jonathan Calloway-2
It seems that I recall an article a couple of years ago that said that new employees at IBM get a ThinkPad or a Mac, and like 75%+ have chosen Macs; so they are Apple’s Business Unit’s ‘cash cow’ . . .

<JC>

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 31, 2018, at 4:10 PM, Billy <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Eric Wolf
When NetApp acquired Solidfire, there was a promise of keeping the culture in tact. The first thing they did was kick us off Gmail for Outlook. At least we got to keep Google Docs.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734