[Chugalug] Installing Ubuntu or Debian onto a Dell RAID

[Chugalug] Installing Ubuntu or Debian onto a Dell RAID

David White-2
I did a fresh install, from a Live USB image, of Ubuntu (Desktop) onto a Dell PowerEdge R710 with a Dell Perc RAID controller.

The install worked fine, but after rebooting, the PowerEdge eventually dumped me into a Grub rescue shell. I fiddled around with Ubuntu's settings for over 30 minutes, and did what Googling I could from my phone. My theory is/was that Ubuntu installed the Grub boot loader onto the USB and not onto the server's RAID.

I've dealt with this situation before, but it's been a while...

So I punted, and tried to install Debian Minimal instead. It didn't have the drivers for the network adapters, but the install of the base system otherwise worked fine. When it came to installing the Grub boot loader, I specifically told Grub to install onto the RAID controller and not onto the USB drive (an option that the Ubuntu installer didn't give me).

I rebooted, and ran into the exact same issue.

After getting back to my office and in front of a real computer screen, I found this interesting blog post on the topic: http://markmaunder.com/2015/02/28/installing-ubuntu-14-10-on-a-dell-r630-with-perc-h730-hardware-raid-10/

Given that I had the same issue with the Debian install and making sure Debian installed Grub onto the right device, I'm not confident that the above instructions will do the trick.

Any suggestions on what I can try or what I should look for when I go back to do further work on this hardware?

Re: [Chugalug] Installing Ubuntu or Debian onto a Dell RAID

Ed King-2

try

LOAD "*",8,1

Re: [Chugalug] Installing Ubuntu or Debian onto a Dell RAID

David White-2
The issue was that I was installing Ubuntu (and Debian) with default settings without customizing the partitions. The disk (RAID) was over 6TB. The installers aren't smart enough to provision a partition 2TB or smaller for the root system, which is a requirement and so instead created 1 big partition.

I can't explain the technical reasons, but I just know - now - (and many of you do too) that you have to install the Linux root system onto a partition that is 2TB or less, or it won't boot.

I should have guessed.... I've had this happen to me before too!

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:28 AM, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:

try

LOAD "*",8,1

[...]

My name is Mark Maunder. I'm the founder and CEO of Wordfence. I'm a CISSP, private pilot, a licensed ham callsign WT1J, I'm a security researcher/ethical hacker ...