[Chugalug] Introductions

123

[Chugalug] Introductions

Jared Hamilton
Hello Chugalug (Chugaluggers?)! Just stumbled on the webpage. Nice to know there are fellow nixers out here in God's country.

Little bit about me: my wife and I live here in Cleveland, as I'm finishing up a (long-awaited) degree here at Lee University. I just started with Linux a little under two years ago. I'm an aspiring mediocre disc golfer, and proud owner of several old machines that Windows didn't run on anymore and were gifted to me.

I'm aiming for CCNA once graduated, and I really love working at the intersection between networking hardware and software. I do a smattering of programming, but usually if it can't be done with sed, grep, or iterating over a list, I feel frustrated for a few minutes and then move on. I suppose that's it?

Anyway, hello!

--
Jared H.

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Stephen Kraus
Welcome to the List.

I'm a heathen Windows Sys Admin, but Linux runs all my hypervisors and phone system.

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 1:13 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Zachariah Gibbens
Hey, Debian user here, Also from Cleveland, been using Linux for over a
Decade now, started in Middle School.
On 02/01/15 13:13, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello Chugalug (Chugaluggers?)! Just stumbled on the webpage. Nice to know there are fellow nixers out here in God's country.
>
> Little bit about me: my wife and I live here in Cleveland, as I'm finishing up a (long-awaited) degree here at Lee University. I just started with Linux a little under two years ago. I'm an aspiring mediocre disc golfer, and proud owner of several old machines that Windows didn't run on anymore and were gifted to me.
>
> I'm aiming for CCNA once graduated, and I really love working at the intersection between networking hardware and software. I do a smattering of programming, but usually if it can't be done with sed, grep, or iterating over a list, I feel frustrated for a few minutes and then move on. I suppose that's it?
>
> Anyway, hello!

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Mostly Ubuntu these days, but some Fedora as well. Gnome 3 on the desktop. Web Programming and server admin most of the time. Also one of the Board Gamers in Chattanooga.

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Zach Gibbens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey, Debian user here, Also from Cleveland, been using Linux for over a
Decade now, started in Middle School.
On 02/01/15 13:13, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello Chugalug (Chugaluggers?)! Just stumbled on the webpage. Nice to know there are fellow nixers out here in God's country.
>
> Little bit about me: my wife and I live here in Cleveland, as I'm finishing up a (long-awaited) degree here at Lee University. I just started with Linux a little under two years ago. I'm an aspiring mediocre disc golfer, and proud owner of several old machines that Windows didn't run on anymore and were gifted to me.
>
> I'm aiming for CCNA once graduated, and I really love working at the intersection between networking hardware and software. I do a smattering of programming, but usually if it can't be done with sed, grep, or iterating over a list, I feel frustrated for a few minutes and then move on. I suppose that's it?
>
> Anyway, hello!

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Dr.D
Hi Jared,

I am Don Peek (aka Dr.D)  I also live in Cleveland..  Welcome to our little
group..
I run a hosting company in Chattanooga, and all the servers I run are
Linux..
This is a mailing list that has been great on decussating the latest
technologies events.  Sometimes things ever get heated,
but we tend to keep it clean.. ..Most BS is call very fast.. (but I think
some just like the trouble  :-) .. But if you have a good question there is
not
 a better place seek the help..

Later
Dr.D

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Jared Hamilton
Thanks for the welcome folks! I use Debian for my home server and a few VPS's and I run Crux on my main computer. Nothing exciting on the home server just some Plex, little web host, backups, minidlna, and of course persistent IRC and nethack.
--
Jared Hamilton

On January 2, 2015 1:13:31 PM EST, [hidden email] wrote:

>Hello Chugalug (Chugaluggers?)! Just stumbled on the webpage. Nice to
>know there are fellow nixers out here in God's country.
>
>Little bit about me: my wife and I live here in Cleveland, as I'm
>finishing up a (long-awaited) degree here at Lee University. I just
>started with Linux a little under two years ago. I'm an aspiring
>mediocre disc golfer, and proud owner of several old machines that
>Windows didn't run on anymore and were gifted to me.
>
>I'm aiming for CCNA once graduated, and I really love working at the
>intersection between networking hardware and software. I do a
>smattering of programming, but usually if it can't be done with sed,
>grep, or iterating over a list, I feel frustrated for a few minutes and
>then move on. I suppose that's it?
>
>Anyway, hello!

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Chad Smith
Welcome!

I am Chad - I lurk when things get too techie - or I try to engage and end up exposing my ignorance.  Also, I'm a Mac user first, but I appreciate open source software - I just appreciate convenience a bit more.  <.<  >.>

Also, I haven't been in Chattanooga in a long time - move to St Louis back in '07, but I still feel connected to my southern roots thanks to this list.

- Chad W. Smith

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:09 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the welcome folks! I use Debian for my home server and a few VPS's and I run Crux on my main computer. Nothing exciting on the home server just some Plex, little web host, backups, minidlna, and of course persistent IRC and nethack.
--
Jared Hamilton

On January 2, 2015 1:13:31 PM EST, [hidden email] wrote:
>Hello Chugalug (Chugaluggers?)! Just stumbled on the webpage. Nice to
>know there are fellow nixers out here in God's country.
>
>Little bit about me: my wife and I live here in Cleveland, as I'm
>finishing up a (long-awaited) degree here at Lee University. I just
>started with Linux a little under two years ago. I'm an aspiring
>mediocre disc golfer, and proud owner of several old machines that
>Windows didn't run on anymore and were gifted to me.
>
>I'm aiming for CCNA once graduated, and I really love working at the
>intersection between networking hardware and software. I do a
>smattering of programming, but usually if it can't be done with sed,
>grep, or iterating over a list, I feel frustrated for a few minutes and
>then move on. I suppose that's it?
>
>Anyway, hello!

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Jonathan Calloway
I’m Jonathan.

Like Chad, I’m a Mac user.  I work at night, so you may hear from me these days at odd hours.  I’m trying to become an entry level SQA Analyst. I’m a tester on the Fedora project, so I run a ESXi on a Mac Pro with a bunch of Fedora, Centos, and (of course) OS X VM’s.

I do front end web stuff; I’m about to start tackling programming (mainly Python - get ready list!) and I have found that this is a great place to hang out and ask questions.

Jonathan Calloway

On Jan 2, 2015, at 4:14 PM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

Welcome!

I am Chad - I lurk when things get too techie - or I try to engage and end up exposing my ignorance.  Also, I'm a Mac user first, but I appreciate open source software - I just appreciate convenience a bit more.  <.<  >.>

Also, I haven't been in Chattanooga in a long time - move to St Louis back in '07, but I still feel connected to my southern roots thanks to this list.

- Chad W. Smith

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:09 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the welcome folks! I use Debian for my home server and a few VPS's and I run Crux on my main computer. Nothing exciting on the home server just some Plex, little web host, backups, minidlna, and of course persistent IRC and nethack.
--
Jared Hamilton

On January 2, 2015 1:13:31 PM EST, [hidden email] wrote:
>Hello Chugalug (Chugaluggers?)! Just stumbled on the webpage. Nice to
>know there are fellow nixers out here in God's country.
>
>Little bit about me: my wife and I live here in Cleveland, as I'm
>finishing up a (long-awaited) degree here at Lee University. I just
>started with Linux a little under two years ago. I'm an aspiring
>mediocre disc golfer, and proud owner of several old machines that
>Windows didn't run on anymore and were gifted to me.
>
>I'm aiming for CCNA once graduated, and I really love working at the
>intersection between networking hardware and software. I do a
>smattering of programming, but usually if it can't be done with sed,
>grep, or iterating over a list, I feel frustrated for a few minutes and
>then move on. I suppose that's it?
>
>Anyway, hello!

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Dan Lyke
Well since we're all doing it.

I'm Dan. I haven't lived in Chattanooga in nearly 20 years, but I'm on
the Chugalug mailing list, which gives you an idea of how long I've
been using Linux. I live in Petaluma California.

Right now I'm using SL6 at work, Ubuntu at home. Have hacked kernel
modules and used a boot loader to run my own code as process 1 on an
ARM device (and, you know, also done the lazy thing and just used
BusyBox's init), so I'm kinda hardcore and think the kids these days
and their abstraction layers and "GUI"s are ruining Linux.

I'm interested in distributed social media (what we oldsters used to
call "weblogging", after we called it "microportals" or
"escribitionism"), identity, owning our own data.

And I have a love/hate relationship with my house, currently covered
in marble dust from a bathroom remodel, and my workshop has a living
roof (strawberries and herbs).

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Eric Wolf
And to mimic Dan...

I'm Eric. I haven't lived in Chattanooga in nearly 9 years, but Dan and I were among the folks who started CHUGALUG. (and a slightly less active mail list called Chia which may have been a FidoNet thread before my day). I've been using Linux since I briefly worked with Dan and Mike after they started selling SLIP and PPP dialup to their fractional T1.

Right now I'm using Kubuntu 12.04LTS at work and Ubuntu 14.04 at home (although right this second I'm on OS X). I currently work for a storage startup called Solidfire. We make a fully buzz-word compliant storage system for virtual environments. It's really (a highly customize build of) Ubuntu 12.04 on very select hardware configurations running what could best be described as ZFS on steroids (or maybe Ecstasy).

I used to be interested in cartography and GIS, especially things like OpenStreetMap and kite aerial photography. But now I try to focus on interests that involve fewer computers. My dog and I compete in agility and I like to drive my '95 Miata on the track.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Might as well myself. I'm Lynn. I'm a huge Red Hat fan with alit of Red Hat certifications. I'm currently an RHCE with another 4 certificates of expertise in my portfolio. I will be taking the last exam for the RHCA certification in about 2 weeks. Here's my portfolio: http://red.ht/lynndixon
I'm an avid RHEL user as well as CentOS zealot.
I work down in Dalton at a Fortune 500 flooring company taking care of about 200 *NIX boxes, the majority being RHEL.

This list is made up of a bunch of good folks with a vast amount of experience and everyone is always willing to help. Sometimes we get in the ditch, we like to talk about things like bitcoin, Apple, and even antique cars and computers.

Feel free to dive in and participate.

On Jan 2, 2015 7:18 PM, "Dan Lyke" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Keathley
inb4 StrangeWill

I’m Keathley and I’m mostly a software hipster.  My OS of choice is a fork of Free BSD (huehue) or Ubuntu.  I worked as a consultant for a while and now work for CarbonFive.  I run/help run a couple of the meetup groups in town so make sure to come up and say hi if you can make it out.  There’s a list of events here: http://goo.gl/2pFn1p.  We also do a free lunch every Thursday where we talk about all sorts of tech:  http://www.meetup.com/chadevs/.  Also feel free to join us on #chadev on freenode.  I tend to idle in there all day.

Good to have you here.

Chris Keathley

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

David White-2

Since this is a thing now...

I am David. It all started when u was in middle school. I couldn't help it. My cousin convinced me to try Slackware, and it went downhill from there. I've tried to stop. I've even used Windows as my personal primary OS for several years. But alas.

Curently I'm addicted to Ubuntu as my personal OS (running on an Asus laptop with an encrypted SSD) and I use CentOS on the servers I manage.

I run my own business, Develop CENTS, which does IT consulting, networking, sys admin, and web hosting. We work mainly with nonprofits, but also have several local businesses as clients.

I am poking at Scheme and Python right now, although I've never been a programmer. (Focusing mainly on Scheme to get a good discipline/good habits in place. My highschool AP computer science class in Java, nor my slight tinkering with PHP, nor my use of Bash counts).

Welcome aboard!

On Jan 2, 2015 8:07 PM, "Chris Keathley" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Eric B. Wolf                           <a href="tel:720-334-7734" value="+17203347734" target="_blank">720-334-7734

[...]

Ed King

pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name

------------------------------
On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 1:13 PM EST [hidden email] wrote:

>Hello Chugalug (Chugaluggers?)! Just stumbled on the webpage. Nice to know there are fellow nixers out here in God's country.
>
>Little bit about me: my wife and I live here in Cleveland, as I'm finishing up a (long-awaited) degree here at Lee University. I just started with Linux a little under two years ago. I'm an aspiring mediocre disc golfer, and proud owner of several old machines that Windows didn't run on anymore and were gifted to me.
>
>I'm aiming for CCNA once graduated, and I really love working at the intersection between networking hardware and software. I do a smattering of programming, but usually if it can't be done with sed, grep, or iterating over a list, I feel frustrated for a few minutes and then move on. I suppose that's it?
>
>Anyway, hello!
>
>--
>Jared H.

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Michael Scholten

Welcome to Chugalug!

I'm Michael. I work for a nonprofit here in Chattanooga helping maintain 200+ Linux Mint/Ubuntu machines (mainly desktops but several servers too) and 150 or so Windows machines, also primarily desktops but a couple servers in the too. Our internal website runs on a Windows machine (site was written in asp) but my supervisor is helping teach myself and the other IT person php, along with javascript etc, so we can eventually move over to a Linux server... I'm currently working on setting up a local repo at work as well.

I'm a self taught, push the button and see what happens sort of guy. If it breaks, I learn to fix it. Best way I know to learn, at least for me.

At home I mainly run Mint and Ubuntu servers although I have win8 running on my desktop. I downloaded the 90 day trial  enterprise edition and have been using that for free for much longer then 90s days.... I wanted to make sure I could keep up with Windows should someone bring me win8. I've (unfortunately?) set myself up as a local personal computer repair guy amongst my coworkers, friends, family, word of mouth...
I enjoy playing games and run a small private Minecraft (tekkit) server for my family.

I suppose that is it for now...

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Andrew Pierce
OK, I'll jump in. Andrew Pierce (andrunix) here. I currently live in Chattanooga and work for CodeScience where we do mostly Salesforce applications using Apex but we really push the boundaries of front-end customizations using AngularJS and other technologies. My boss is on this mailing list so I have to give a big plug for CS ;) I have used C, C++, Perl, PHP, Java, Ruby and even C# (ew).

I mainly use a Macbook Pro as my work machine but I also have a Dell laptop running Xubuntu (for the moment). I have been a Linux user for a long, long time. I started back when you had to download Slackware onto about 6 or 8 3.5" floppy disks. I spent hours and hours trying to get it to install on a PS/2 which was pretty much impossible because of the stupid Microchannel architecture. I spent over 10 years at Unum (Provident) trying to convince people that we should actually use Open Source and Linux. I finally got Linux approved and the first VM's spun up a year or so before I left in 2012. That was like pushing a boulder up Lookout Mountain.

I mainly lurk here but jump in occasionally. I used to run the JavaScript user group, noogaJS. I show up on IRC as much as I can.

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 8:04 AM, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:

pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name

------------------------------
On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 1:13 PM EST [hidden email] wrote:

>Hello Chugalug (Chugaluggers?)! Just stumbled on the webpage. Nice to know there are fellow nixers out here in God's country.
>
>Little bit about me: my wife and I live here in Cleveland, as I'm finishing up a (long-awaited) degree here at Lee University. I just started with Linux a little under two years ago. I'm an aspiring mediocre disc golfer, and proud owner of several old machines that Windows didn't run on anymore and were gifted to me.
>
>I'm aiming for CCNA once graduated, and I really love working at the intersection between networking hardware and software. I do a smattering of programming, but usually if it can't be done with sed, grep, or iterating over a list, I feel frustrated for a few minutes and then move on. I suppose that's it?
>
>Anyway, hello!
>
>--
>Jared H.

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Lisa Harrison Ridley
Welcome Jared!

I’m Lisa, and I’m a systems architect and developer for Promet Source out of Chicago, living and working remotely here in Chattanooga.  My primary workstation and development machine is a MacBook Pro, but we test, and host client web applications on Debian and/or CentOS virtual machines hosted with Rackspace and Amazon.  I do mainly Drupal and mobile app development, but also work with our DevOps area to implement and improve our automated testing and deployment processes across our client base.  Currently looking at Docker to spin up disposable testing environments for usability testing using a Jenkins CI server to manage the Docker instances and report test results.  Also playing with Raspberry Pi on occasion, and geeking with my nephews and their Arduino kits, which I got them for Christmas.

I mainly lurk here, chiming in on the occasional opinion thread and asking the occasional question.

Later!

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Guess it is my turn.  I am Aaron Welch, resident hardware pimp of the list.  I have done a few startups, worked all over the world, and had more Microsoft and Cisco cents than I care to remember.  I used to collect cool old computer gear till the wives killed that.  Now I just build houses out of cargo containers and run a geek TV network.

-AW

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 2, 2015, at 1:13 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hello Chugalug (Chugaluggers?)! Just stumbled on the webpage. Nice to know there are fellow nixers out here in God's country.
>
> Little bit about me: my wife and I live here in Cleveland, as I'm finishing up a (long-awaited) degree here at Lee University. I just started with Linux a little under two years ago. I'm an aspiring mediocre disc golfer, and proud owner of several old machines that Windows didn't run on anymore and were gifted to me.
>
> I'm aiming for CCNA once graduated, and I really love working at the intersection between networking hardware and software. I do a smattering of programming, but usually if it can't be done with sed, grep, or iterating over a list, I feel frustrated for a few minutes and then move on. I suppose that's it?
>
> Anyway, hello!
>
> --
> Jared H.

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Dee Holtsclaw
I'm "Lawrence Don Holtsclaw" but I've answered to the nickname "Dee"
since before I can remember. I was heavily into electronics, especially
digital, until being sent to resolder the terminal cables at Cleveland
State when a junior in High School. Since then I've written code in more
languages that I care to count from various assembly through PL/1. About
2 1/2 years ago, after the 4th company-wide mandatory pay-cut, I tossed
my resume out on Monster one Friday night. The next Monday I was getting
phone calls from NY. Now I live in Astoria, Queens with my wife and
20-yo son and work as a senior software engineer with Bloomberg
literally across the street from Bloomingdale's. Our daughter still
lives in Cleveland holding down our house for us.

I've used **ix since AT&T Unix System V on S-100 bus systems and
presently run CentOS 6.5 on my home machine (turns out the native Citrix
client remotes in real well). At work we have thousands of servers,
mostly Slowaris or AIX but the Linux boxen are slowly taking over. It's
still a bit shocking to ssh into one of them and see 1,024 cores and
512G of DRAM but I'm gradually becoming accustomed to it. Anyway, I
spend most of my time alternating between root-cause analysis of
production problems, coordinating efforts to unify our various disparate
stock-trading products and coding C++ framework for these. It feels good
to be "making a difference".

I remain involved with Chattacon and plan to be back in Chattanooga at
the end of the month for number 40 (Chattacon XL). I'll probably be
spending most of my time in the Operations suite during the con so stop
by and say hello. Can't get around very well right now due to lower-back
problems so, unless the surgeon has good news on Monday, I doubt I will
make it to consuite or the room parties.

Welcome to the insanity!

Dee

P.S.    I always wondered why some of the folks on this list called it
"Slowaris" and derided Sun incessantly. Now I understand this all too
well. Sun/Oracle has to have the crappiest C++ compiler (and linker) in
the world.

On 01/03/2015 08:04 AM, Ed King wrote:
> pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name
Cute! Love that song.

> ------------------------------
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 1:13 PM EST [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hello Chugalug (Chugaluggers?)! Just stumbled on the webpage. Nice to know there are fellow nixers out here in God's country.
>>
>> Little bit about me: my wife and I live here in Cleveland, as I'm finishing up a (long-awaited) degree here at Lee University. I just started with Linux a little under two years ago. I'm an aspiring mediocre disc golfer, and proud owner of several old machines that Windows didn't run on anymore and were gifted to me.
>>
>> I'm aiming for CCNA once graduated, and I really love working at the intersection between networking hardware and software. I do a smattering of programming, but usually if it can't be done with sed, grep, or iterating over a list, I feel frustrated for a few minutes and then move on. I suppose that's it?
>>
>> Anyway, hello!
>>
>> --
>> Jared H.

Re: [Chugalug] Introductions

Joseph Simoneau

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste....

I'm joseph, a recent Georgia tech graduate living in Atlanta and looking to start a career pentesting (finishing up my OSCP this month...hopefully). I've never lived in Chattanooga, but a friend from the area suggested I join the list....hope you don't mind.

I've been using Linux since 2004....and osx since 2006ish. I like playing with my hackintosh for music things, but I very much prefer doing real things in Linux. I'm also one of the tiling window manager assholes and think the gnome vs. KDE argument is solved by realizing they both just get in the way.

Most of my computers are on fedora or Kali, but I want to change to something a little more pure. Been thinking about swapping fedora for freebsd a lot lately just because I've never done it.

Also, I'm a glasshole. And by that, I mean I have it and am extremely conflicted about an advertising company getting into wearables. If I end up having the time, I think replacing all of the google code on it with something that runs off owncloud and a hacked garmin would be an awesome project, you know...assuming they actually send my warranty replacement.

Also, I hate social media and think it's the bane of modern existence.

-js

123