[Chugalug] Jack, MusE, MIDI, and audio in general

[Chugalug] Jack, MusE, MIDI, and audio in general

Dan Lyke
I'm trying to produce some phat beats for my square dance calling.

So far, my search for DAW and sequencing tools has been limited to
"what can I make go plink and plonk easily", but I think the time has
come to actually figure out how Jack works.

For the larger context: I've settled on MusE, I have a USB Korg NanoKey
2 octave keyboard. I'm happy to input a note at a time while using the
computer keyboard for timing, and actually got pretty good at that with
MuseScore, though I don't think that tool has all the controls I want.

And for testing, I'm playing with zynaddsubfx, because I believe it
should be

I'm struggling: Sometimes I get audio, sometimes I don't. I can't
figure out how to route stuff where...

So for starters:

* With qjackctl, what's the conceptual difference between "Connect" and
  "Patchbay"? I mean, I know that I see things I recognize in
  "Connect", but...

* Also, what's the two different start and stop options? The buttons on
  the top left seem to be the Jack daemon specifically, but what are
  the transport controls under the status display?

* If, under the "Connect" option, I go to the "ALSA" tab
  and connect the nanoKey to the ZynAddSubFX tab, I can make that make
  beeps and boops. I kind of expect to see a MusE input port somewhere,
  but I can't seem to figure out how to make the nanoKey be input for
  MusE.

* If I have a directory full of .wav files (or .xnri or a bunch of
  other instrument specs), how do I make those an instrument usable in
  MusE? I kind of thought I'd create a TiMidity++ instrumet, but that
  looks confusing.

I'm sure that this is one of those things where I'll suddenly make the
conceptual leap to how musicians think and it'll all be obvious, but
I'm not there yet.

Re: [Chugalug] Jack, MusE, MIDI, and audio in general

Dan Lyke
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 16:44:30 -0800
Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> * If, under the "Connect" option, I go to the "ALSA" tab
>   and connect the nanoKey to the ZynAddSubFX tab, I can make that make
>   beeps and boops. I kind of expect to see a MusE input port
>   somewhere, but I can't seem to figure out how to make the nanoKey be
>   input for MusE.

Okay, in the MusE settings I can create a MIDI input that I can see in
the "MIDI" tab in QJackCtl, but my Korg nanoKey shows up under the
"ALSA" tab, so I can't hook its output to the "MIDI" tab input.

Hmmm...