[Chugalug] Laptop Shopping

Dan Lyke
Okay, the various cameras are starting to come in, I need to learn a
little bit more about the different grades of network cable to see if
I'll save long-term maintenance time by spending a little more for
stuff to run outside the house (it's easy to get through the walls up
in the attic, I'd rather staple cable along side the trim than open up
wallboard to get things down to human head-height: My security cameras
are going to take pictures of people head-on, not hat down).

Anyway, I'll write some reviews as I get those hooked up, but: My 7
year old laptop is starting to show its age. Sometimes the trackpad
stops working, and then randomly starts again, and then yesterday while
I was waiting for my car to get worked on it locked up and didn't
recognize the SSD when I tried to reboot. And then later it did.

So it's time. I'm partial to ASUS 'cause this beast has stuck with me,
and because a new keyboard is $25 and a paperclip to change it out.

But I'd like something with an (*&^% load of RAM, 16G minimum, 32G
preferred. I like some of the refurbs I saw on Amazon that had two
drives, an SSD and a big spinny one, but they only came in 17"+, and I
want 14-15" so I can use it on the bus.

Linux as the primary OS. I'd prefer robust display over touchscreen; I
don't want glass that'll crack if you look at it wrong. Probably AMD as
the processor, 'cause I don't want the Meltdown patches to totally
destroy performance.

If it has graphics chops, I'm more interested in how they'll be for
OpenCV or TensorFlow than for gaming performance.

How do y'all laptop shop?

Re: [Chugalug] Laptop Shopping

Lynn Dixon
Lenovo's are the standard issue laptop at Red Hat, and we provide them with RHEL7 :-)   Most of us end up running Fedora on them though.

The P50 is absolute beast of a machine if you want a "mobile workstation".

The T470 and T470S are a little more portable but are still very nice.

Both of these are completely user serviceable with easily replaceable keyboards, upgradable memory and such.  The P50 has extra slots for BOTH an additional stick of NVMe drive AND a 2.5" sata drive.  Even better: The NVMe drives can be configured in RAID....on a laptop!

Both machines are docking station capable as well.

My company upgrade is coming up in about 2 months and I am going to be requesting the P50.

Here's some decent video reviews on both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84G2s1kPW4s    <-- T470S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqtJxBJ8hK0   < -- P50

Both of these machines will happily run RHEL7 or Fedora, as confirmed by many Red Hatters :-)

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Eric Wolf
My last two laptops have been Asus. I like their aluminum clamshell design. The trackpad attempts to mimic the MacBook trackpad but falls short.

Does AMD make a decent laptop CPU? To be honest, I haven't looked.

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:58 AM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Not yet, rumors abound about an AMD based mobile workstation, but I've yet to see any real delivery.

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 1:05 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
My last two laptops have been Asus. I like their aluminum clamshell design. The trackpad attempts to mimic the MacBook trackpad but falls short.

Does AMD make a decent laptop CPU? To be honest, I haven't looked.

Eric B. Wolf                           <a href="tel:(720)%20334-7734" value="+17203347734" target="_blank">720-334-7734

[...]

Asus has no AMD-based ZenBooks. They have three models with AMD processors but only a 1920x1080 max display resolution.

Dell doesn't seem to be any better. Doesn't anyone sell an AMD Laptop with a higher resolution display?

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 11:05:38 -0700
Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My last two laptops have been Asus. I like their aluminum clamshell
> design. The trackpad attempts to mimic the MacBook trackpad but falls
> short.

I see an Asus Ultrabook that'll need an additional USB-C adaptor, but
has 16G of RAM, a 1TB SSD and a 7th gen i7 for $1,100. Trying to figure
out if 16G is enough RAM.

> Does AMD make a decent laptop CPU? To be honest, I haven't looked.

It appears not.

Sigh.

Re: [Chugalug] Laptop Shopping

Screw it: Got sick of shopping, bought a refurb ASUS Zenbook 7th Gen i7
with 16G of RAM and a 512G SSD.

And a USB-C docking station.

Seems like as much as 32G of RAM is nice, I'm actually using 3-4G of
RAM normally. I liked the idea of going back to the small form-factor,
especially for my bus rides to and from work, may have to find a place
to mount another monitor (work has some spare monitors if I need more
display).

Re: [Chugalug] Laptop Shopping

Eric Wolf
I have the UX330 Zenbook 7th Gen i5 with 8G RAM and 256G SSD:

My complaints, in order are:

1. Screen resolution is disappointing. It's hard, for instance, to have my Google Spreadsheet with my checking register open along side my bank's website. And be readable to my now deteriorating eyes. I am typing this on my current-generation MacBook Pro with Retina display. It's a 15.6" display, so it has more physical screen real estate but it also is legible with small print.

2. The touchpad is good but it's not Apple good. The Apple is good enough that I never feel like I need a mouse. The Asus not so much.

3. The UX330 has a separate power connector (from the USB C) and uses a proprietary power brick. And Asus, for some godforsaken reason, has been making power bricks with the prongs spaced oddly, so you can't pug the brick into a standard wall socket and use the second outlet. But the battery lasts long enough that I charge it about once a week or so.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 1:16 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Screw it: Got sick of shopping, bought a refurb ASUS Zenbook 7th Gen i7
with 16G of RAM and a 512G SSD.

And a USB-C docking station.

Seems like as much as 32G of RAM is nice, I'm actually using 3-4G of
RAM normally. I liked the idea of going back to the small form-factor,
especially for my bus rides to and from work, may have to find a place
to mount another monitor (work has some spare monitors if I need more
display).

Re: [Chugalug] Laptop Shopping

DaWorm
The P50 is absolute beast of a machine if you want a "mobile workstation".

I have the P50.  It's a beast, but heavy.

Jeff