[Chugalug] Linux-friendly printers

John Aldrich-2
So, I've had an HP Deskjet F4480 for a few years, and it appears that it has
given up the ghost... it no longer powers on. :( It was good while it lasted,
and I could print to it on my Windows machine via CUPS on Linux. Anyone got a
suggestion for something similar?

Re: [Chugalug] Linux-friendly printers

John Aldrich-2
On Wed January 8 2014 8:19:01 PM John Aldrich wrote:
> So, I've had an HP Deskjet F4480 for a few years, and it appears that it has
> given up the ghost... it no longer powers on. :( It was good while it
> lasted, and I could print to it on my Windows machine via CUPS on Linux.
> Anyone got a suggestion for something similar?

Note... I *could* Google it, but I'm asking for your PERSONAL knowledge of
linux-friendly printers.

Re: [Chugalug] Linux-friendly printers

Rip Linton
I use several HP printers with Linux and Windows. The Deskjet 3512 wireless works great with both operating systems. The Officejets all work fine with both also. I use an older Officejet 6500 for scanning and fax and the 3512s and 3510s for normal printing. I use HPLIP on the Linux machines and the standard HP Windows drivers on those machines.

Rip

Re: [Chugalug] Linux-friendly printers

Eric Wolf
My Epson NX530 is recognized as both a printer and scanner in Ubuntu without even trying. It also supports Apple's broken LPR they use in OSX and iOS.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM, Rip Linton <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use several HP printers with Linux and Windows. The Deskjet 3512 wireless works great with both operating systems. The Officejets all work fine with both also. I use an older Officejet 6500 for scanning and fax and the 3512s and 3510s for normal printing. I use HPLIP on the Linux machines and the standard HP Windows drivers on those machines.

Rip

Re: [Chugalug] Linux-friendly printers

Billy
Quoting Eric Wolf <[hidden email]>:

> My Epson NX530 is recognized as both a printer and scanner in Ubuntu
> without even trying. It also supports Apple's broken LPR they use in OSX
> and iOS.

I concur with the Epson experience. My Epson works great via a wired
ethernet connection. Cups sees it, it's easy to configure. SANE works
via the network, too. (it's a scanner/printer/fax). I don't use the
fax function.

--b

Re: [Chugalug] Linux-friendly printers

John Aldrich
Quoting [hidden email]:

> Quoting Eric Wolf <[hidden email]>:
>
>> My Epson NX530 is recognized as both a printer and scanner in Ubuntu
>> without even trying. It also supports Apple's broken LPR they use in OSX
>> and iOS.
>
> I concur with the Epson experience. My Epson works great via a wired
> ethernet connection. Cups sees it, it's easy to configure. SANE works
> via the network, too. (it's a scanner/printer/fax). I don't use the fax
> function.

Great! I like that. What model do you have Flushy?

Quoting John Aldrich <[hidden email]>:

> Great! I like that. What model do you have Flushy?

WorkForce 310

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CA49201

There are others that are newer, but any of the wired ones should work fine.

--b

Re: [Chugalug] Linux-friendly printers

Jonathan Calloway
I have a Cannon Photosmart D110.  It’s an all-in-one printer.  I bought it primarily because I was in a similar position (had an HP that sided) and I wanted to experiment with AirPrint.

I play with a lot of distros on my hypervisor, so I test configuring it just for grins.  While it obviously works perfectly in Mac OS X and Winders, I’ve had great success in Ubuntu, Fedora, and even more esoteric distros, like ElementaryOS.

My only complaint with it is the cartridges are tiny, and since I have a homeschooling mother and a couple of kids living in my house, we tend to go through the very quickly!

<JC>

On Jan 9, 2014, at 4:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Quoting John Aldrich <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Great! I like that. What model do you have Flushy?
>
> WorkForce 310
>
> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CA49201
>
> There are others that are newer, but any of the wired ones should work fine.
>
> --b

Re: [Chugalug] Linux-friendly printers

Here's the resource I use for selecting my printers. I tend to favor laser printers, and actually haven't purchased a printer new in a *LONG* time.

Hope this helps. I have an HP LaserJet 2300dn, a Brother HL-4040CN, and a Brother HL-4150CDN.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Quoting John Aldrich <[hidden email]>:

Great! I like that. What model do you have Flushy?

WorkForce 310

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CA49201

There are others that are newer, but any of the wired ones should work fine.

--b

" ' With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on we’re all damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith (K4RNT)

Re: [Chugalug] Linux-friendly printers

Billy
Also,

Look for printers that have the distinct color cartridges. It's a PITA
to need to change a whole all-color-in-one when it's just magenta
that's out.

One of the reasons I enjoy the Epson...

Magenta out? Replaced it!

--b

Quoting "Alex Smith (K4RNT)" <[hidden email]>:

> Here's the resource I use for selecting my printers. I tend to favor laser
> printers, and actually haven't purchased a printer new in a *LONG* time.
>
> www.linuxprinting.org
>
> Hope this helps. I have an HP LaserJet 2300dn, a Brother HL-4040CN, and a
> Brother HL-4150CDN.
>

> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Quoting John Aldrich <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>  Great! I like that. What model do you have Flushy?
>>>

>> WorkForce 310
>>
>> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CA49201
>>
>> There are others that are newer, but any of the wired ones should work
>> fine.
>>
>> --b

> " ' With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,
> the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
> irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and
> warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on we?re all
> damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG
> episode "The Drumhead"
> - Alex Smith (K4RNT)
> - Dulles Technology Corridor (Chantilly/Ashburn/Dulles), Virginia USA

Re: [Chugalug] [Bulk] Re: Linux-friendly printers

John Aldrich
Quoting [hidden email]:

> Also,
>
> Look for printers that have the distinct color cartridges. It's a PITA
> to need to change a whole all-color-in-one when it's just magenta
> that's out.
>
> One of the reasons I enjoy the Epson...
>
> Magenta out? Replaced it!

Thanks for the info. That WorkForce 310 is still available on Amazon,
but not on the link you posted... but I think I'll try a different one
-- $310 on Amazon! YIKES!!! :)

Re: [Chugalug] [Bulk] Re: Linux-friendly printers

Quoting [hidden email]:

> Also,
>
> Look for printers that have the distinct color cartridges. It's a PITA
> to need to change a whole all-color-in-one when it's just magenta
> that's out.
>
> One of the reasons I enjoy the Epson...
>
> Magenta out? Replaced it!

Thanks, Flushy... just ordered a Epson WorkForce WF-2540 from Amazon.
Should have it Tuesday. :) I can use it wired or wireless. :)

Re: [Chugalug] [Bulk] Re: Linux-friendly printers

Billy
Quoting John Aldrich <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks for the info. That WorkForce 310 is still available on
> Amazon, but not on the link you posted... but I think I'll try a
> different one -- $310 on Amazon! YIKES!!! :)

oh wow!

I didn't play near that much. Must be because it's not "new" anymore.
Supply and demand and all.

Try this:

http://www.staples.com/Epson-WorkForce-WF-2540-Color-Inkjet-All-in-One-Printer/product_954262

looks about the same as the 310.

--b

Re: [Chugalug] [Bulk] Re: Linux-friendly printers

John Aldrich
Quoting [hidden email]:

> Quoting John Aldrich <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Thanks for the info. That WorkForce 310 is still available on
>> Amazon, but not on the link you posted... but I think I'll try a
>> different one -- $310 on Amazon! YIKES!!! :)
>
> oh wow!
>
> I didn't play near that much. Must be because it's not "new" anymore.
> Supply and demand and all.
>
> Try this:
>
> http://www.staples.com/Epson-WorkForce-WF-2540-Color-Inkjet-All-in-One-Printer/product_954262
>
> looks about the same as the 310.
>
> --b

Heh...that's the model I ordered from Amazon. :)