[Chugalug] Linux physical server, best practice

[Chugalug] Linux physical server, best practice

David Welch
Basically my question is, should everything be run in a virtual machine?

If I'm running an app in-house, Jira say (sigh), on a dedicated server, should it still be in a KVM virtual machine?

I tend to think so. Despite the increased complexity of the setup, this gives snapshotting built-in basically.

Thoughts?

Re: [Chugalug] Linux physical server, best practice

Lynn Dixon
KVM is built into the Linux Kernel and there are tons of userspace tools and services to make managing KVM super easy.  Virsh, Virt-manager, oVirt, or hell, OpenStack (if you want to get REALLY complex..heh).

I use virtuals for all my stuff as it gives me way more flexibility with my home server.  I am one of the oddballs running oVirt in both my home server and my co-located lab machines. I have a single oVirt manager node taking care of both sites (home and remote lab) using the oVirt datacenter construct as the differentiator.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 9:56 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jails or VMs yes. Gives you more security for the hose and can allow you to isolate the application.

On Feb 5, 2018 9:55 PM, "David Welch" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Basically my question is, should everything be run in a virtual machine?

If I'm running an app in-house, Jira say (sigh), on a dedicated server, should it still be in a KVM virtual machine?

I tend to think so. Despite the increased complexity of the setup, this gives snapshotting built-in basically.

Thoughts?

Re: [Chugalug] Linux physical server, best practice

Billy
I run everything I can in kubernetes pods on bare metal. I even containerized the ovirt manager.

I do have an ovirt environment for VMs, but if I can run it in a container - then it runs in a container.

I have about 15 applications that run in about 40 containers - from dhcpd, to mrouted, dns, git, Jenkins, Postgres, zabbix, pulp, gluster, and a bunch other things I play with. It allows me a lot of density compared to VMs, plus I can run containers on things that can’t run VMs - like a few Atom systems or older intel chips that don’t have the VT-x extensions. However, they run containers just fine.

Currently my IPA nodes are VMs, but it’s on my todo list to containerize that too.

--b

On Feb 6, 2018, at 1:28 PM, David Welch <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dean Warren
Billy,
Just read your reply and want to know more about containers on atom. What resources would you recommend for a ground up start?
Dean

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 11:13 AM, Billy <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Honesty, I’d start with fedora Atomic Host. [1].

It’s specially designed to be lightweight and mostly read only. Updates aren’t done trough “rpm,” but by something called “ostree.”

The reason it’s called Atomic, is that updates are, well, Atomic. You update the host, and the entire system, kernel, packages, etc, are set to the new version at boot. If it doesn’t boot, you can boot to the previous “slot.”

Sort of like a network switch or appliance.

Since it’s mostly read only, in order to administer the box, you use containers. There’s special containers that fedora ships that have a bunch of helpful tools, and there are official containers to run rsyslog if you need it. There’s some for openscap, and vendors even supply some containers for their utilities.

It’s a different way of administering a box, but it’s lightweight, and easy to restore if you mess something up. All my systems that run containers are based on Atomic Host.

When I get a bit more time, I can point you to some GitHub projects that might help you explore getting started with containers.

[1] https://getfedora.org/en/atomic/

--b

On Feb 23, 2018, at 1:11 PM, Dean Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

[Chugalug] tasty surprise

Ed King-2

so I finally got a kyroflux and it arrived today

inside the package was the tasty treat...   a pack of authentic German-worded candy

nice touch :)

obligatory on-topic content:   about to install kyroflux driver on Linux box...

Re: [Chugalug] tasty surprise

Rip Linton

Re: [Chugalug] tasty surprise

Ed King-2

Funny you should mention that, as the primary reason I bought the kryo (and an FDADAP from dbit) was to be able to read/write 8 inch floppies for the TRS-80 Model 12 I got from you about 4 years ago 😊

it will be awhile before I am at that stage...  first I want to practice reading/writing some Mac and Amiga disks...  just for the fun of it...   the Amiga likes its Gotek and the Mac likes its Floppy Emu...  but I still want to write some disks just to see if the kryo will do it

I'm crazy like that

Re: [Chugalug] tasty surprise

Rip wrrote

I am looking forward to your review of the Kyroflux.

I finally got everything physically connected tonight and started with a stupid-simple test case... duplicate a DSHD floppy containing Macintosh System 6.0.8.   Yeah, I could have done this with plain old dd, but the goal was to get my feet wet with kryoflux.   Success!  The kryoflux-duplicated disk booted the retro-brited Mac Classic w/o a problem.

Next I will try something a little more interesting...  read/write an Amiga DSDD floppy using kryoflux (connected to my Debian linux pc)

I'm gathering up screenshots and terminal commands and will compose a document...  I'll put a link to the document in the "projects" section of my linkedin page.