[Chugalug] Linux physical server, best practice

[Chugalug] Linux physical server, best practice

David Welch
Basically my question is, should everything be run in a virtual machine?

If I'm running an app in-house, Jira say (sigh), on a dedicated server, should it still be in a KVM virtual machine?

I tend to think so. Despite the increased complexity of the setup, this gives snapshotting built-in basically.

Thoughts?

Re: [Chugalug] Linux physical server, best practice

Lynn Dixon
KVM is built into the Linux Kernel and there are tons of userspace tools and services to make managing KVM super easy.  Virsh, Virt-manager, oVirt, or hell, OpenStack (if you want to get REALLY complex..heh).

I use virtuals for all my stuff as it gives me way more flexibility with my home server.  I am one of the oddballs running oVirt in both my home server and my co-located lab machines. I have a single oVirt manager node taking care of both sites (home and remote lab) using the oVirt datacenter construct as the differentiator.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 9:56 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jails or VMs yes. Gives you more security for the hose and can allow you to isolate the application.

On Feb 5, 2018 9:55 PM, "David Welch" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Basically my question is, should everything be run in a virtual machine?

If I'm running an app in-house, Jira say (sigh), on a dedicated server, should it still be in a KVM virtual machine?

I tend to think so. Despite the increased complexity of the setup, this gives snapshotting built-in basically.

Thoughts?

Re: [Chugalug] Linux physical server, best practice

Billy
I run everything I can in kubernetes pods on bare metal. I even containerized the ovirt manager.

I do have an ovirt environment for VMs, but if I can run it in a container - then it runs in a container.

I have about 15 applications that run in about 40 containers - from dhcpd, to mrouted, dns, git, Jenkins, Postgres, zabbix, pulp, gluster, and a bunch other things I play with. It allows me a lot of density compared to VMs, plus I can run containers on things that can’t run VMs - like a few Atom systems or older intel chips that don’t have the VT-x extensions. However, they run containers just fine.

Currently my IPA nodes are VMs, but it’s on my todo list to containerize that too.

--b

On Feb 6, 2018, at 1:28 PM, David Welch <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dean Warren
Billy,
Just read your reply and want to know more about containers on atom. What resources would you recommend for a ground up start?
Dean

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren