[Chugalug] Looking for Linux Compatible IP Camera

[Chugalug] Looking for Linux Compatible IP Camera

Mike Harrison-4

am playing with some remote presence and need an IP camera that works well using Chrome or Firefox on Linux.

For example: the old Foscam F19821W-v2 I just pulled out out of the junk pile seems to be un-updated-able (current firmware too old for current update revs) and will only stream Video with an ActiveX plugin.

Project has budget.. needs a good similar camera: ip based, with a web interface that works on Linux, pan/tilt/zoom not necessary but would be a plus.

Anyone used anything they were impressed with?

—Mike—

Re: [Chugalug] Looking for Linux Compatible IP Camera

Andrew Rodgers-2
Axis seems to be the standard for no frills, open tech IP streaming. The M2025-LE is a good general purpose camera that supports mjpeg and h.264 streams simultaneously. You can use it via browser, or a direct feed into VLC.

You have to be careful with a lot of the no-name other cameras out there on Amazon, they will advertise higher resolution, but either won't have the encoder pipeline to support it well, or will use a much too small sensor that has terrible noise and low-light properties.

Andrew

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 9:34 AM Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

am playing with some remote presence and need an IP camera that works well using Chrome or Firefox on Linux.

For example: the old Foscam F19821W-v2 I just pulled out out of the junk pile seems to be un-updated-able (current firmware too old for current update revs) and will only stream Video with an ActiveX plugin.

Project has budget.. needs a good similar camera: ip based, with a web interface that works on Linux, pan/tilt/zoom not necessary but would be a plus.

Anyone used anything they were impressed with?

—Mike—

Re: [Chugalug] Looking for Linux Compatible IP Camera

Mike Harrison-4

> On May 27, 2018, at 12:56 PM, Andrew Rodgers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Axis seems to be the standard for no frills, open tech IP streaming. The M2025-LE is a good general purpose camera that supports mjpeg and h.264 streams simultaneously. You can use it via browser, or a direct feed into VLC.
>
> You have to be careful with a lot of the no-name other cameras out there on Amazon, they will advertise higher resolution, but either won't have the encoder pipeline to support it well, or will use a much too small sensor that has terrible noise and low-light properties.

As I play with a handful of camera’s I have, including a Foscam, A new 4k Swann/Reolink and an old Axis (640x480) I realize how much of mess that world still is.
They make the VoIP/SIP phone world look amazingly coherent and unified.

First time installing zone minder (mostly just for fun exploring), I have to admit that it works pretty darn well. Install and config is a bit crude in some ways..
I was hoping diving into that would enlighten me in positive ways. It did.. it also showed me how F’d up the video world is. Side note: Zoneminder liked the Foscam just the way it was and made it useful via ffmpeg and RTSP streaming. Insert IP, login, password into the zone minder template for it, and poof, it worked. Motion detection and all.

As I put all this on an Odroid XU4 running Debian, I was both surprised how well it worked, but alarmed at the CPU usage. Obviously missing some video decode/encode optimizations.. but it works.

Re: [Chugalug] Looking for Linux Compatible IP Camera

JustinMcAfee
I've recently deployed some good old cheap foscam's (on their own vlan b/c they callout to God only knows where sometimes, depending on the model) with Shodani working as the server. Works fine running on a debian server with access via firefox on Linux. The cameras I was working with DID NOT have Pan/tilt so I was not able to test this function.

​Justin McAfee, cipher6PGP Public Key: https://flowcrypt.com/pub/justinamcafee

* To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider *

* whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,       *

* foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. *

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.​

On May 27, 2018 6:54 PM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On May 27, 2018, at 12:56 PM, Andrew Rodgers [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > Axis seems to be the standard for no frills, open tech IP streaming. The M2025-LE is a good general purpose camera that supports mjpeg and h.264 streams simultaneously. You can use it via browser, or a direct feed into VLC.
> >
> > You have to be careful with a lot of the no-name other cameras out there on Amazon, they will advertise higher resolution, but either won't have the encoder pipeline to support it well, or will use a much too small sensor that has terrible noise and low-light properties.
>
> As I play with a handful of camera’s I have, including a Foscam, A new 4k Swann/Reolink and an old Axis (640x480) I realize how much of mess that world still is.
>
> They make the VoIP/SIP phone world look amazingly coherent and unified.
>
> First time installing zone minder (mostly just for fun exploring), I have to admit that it works pretty darn well. Install and config is a bit crude in some ways..
>
> I was hoping diving into that would enlighten me in positive ways. It did.. it also showed me how F’d up the video world is. Side note: Zoneminder liked the Foscam just the way it was and made it useful via ffmpeg and RTSP streaming. Insert IP, login, password into the zone minder template for it, and poof, it worked. Motion detection and all.
>
> As I put all this on an Odroid XU4 running Debian, I was both surprised how well it worked, but alarmed at the CPU usage. Obviously missing some video decode/encode optimizations.. but it works.

Re: [Chugalug] Looking for Linux Compatible IP Camera

Dan Lyke
On Mon, 28 May 2018 09:43:23 -0400
JustinMcAfee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've recently deployed some good old cheap foscam's (on their own
> vlan b/c they callout to God only knows where sometimes, depending on
> the model) with Shodani working as the server. Works fine running on
> a debian server with access via firefox on Linux. The cameras I was
> working with DID NOT have Pan/tilt so I was not able to test this
> function.

What is Shodani? Google is just giving me "Shodan". I got a camera that
I like the form factor of, and I can watch the video stream from VNC,
but it seems like it's swamping Zoneminder.

I'd love to get a couple of more of them and deploy them rather than
going the Nest route my wife is pushing because it's taking me so long
to get the cameras deployed....

Re: [Chugalug] Looking for Linux Compatible IP Camera

Mike Harrison-4
Methinks he meant:

https://shinobi.video/

Hmm… Might be worth diving into  :)

> On May 28, 2018, at 6:30 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 28 May 2018 09:43:23 -0400
> JustinMcAfee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've recently deployed some good old cheap foscam's (on their own
>> vlan b/c they callout to God only knows where sometimes, depending on
>> the model) with Shodani working as the server. Works fine running on
>> a debian server with access via firefox on Linux. The cameras I was
>> working with DID NOT have Pan/tilt so I was not able to test this
>> function.
>
> What is Shodani? Google is just giving me "Shodan". I got a camera that
> I like the form factor of, and I can watch the video stream from VNC,
> but it seems like it's swamping Zoneminder.
>
> I'd love to get a couple of more of them and deploy them rather than
> going the Nest route my wife is pushing because it's taking me so long
> to get the cameras deployed....
>
> Dan

Re: [Chugalug] Looking for Linux Compatible IP Camera

JustinMcAfee
Thanks Mike, That's exactly what i meant! I'm up to my ears in cool projects now and actually didn't do the full install of Shinobi for our most recent deployment. Pawned it off on my hardware guy that I'm slowly bringing into the Light (i.e. linux). He was able to easily install it with minimal oversite all from a command line. And then configured his cameras after some trial and error via the gui.