[Chugalug] Melee

Michael Harrison
Dear Chugalugarians,

Chugalug.org has been a domain and mailing list since January 1999.
21 years ago.  It's been a part of my life, and the lives of many of us.
It's currently running on mailman 2.1 on a server that is suffering from duct tape induced upgradeitis.

I've recently built a new server for it (actually, several times..) and
tried to deal with the world of "Mailman 3" and also stared at a few other
mailing list manager and remailers.

In frustration and to see how hard this really is, I built one.  It's simple
for now, although that may change quickly, I'm considering adding GPG
support and some other interesting features.  It does not have a web
interface yet but should in the next week.

My Goals:
   0. Learn some things about current email specs/environment actual usage. (I have already).
   1. Watch this break spectacularly with the way some chugalarians host/process/send their email.
   2. See if this is viable long term way to run the Chugalug (and possibly other) mailing lists.

If the membership proves it not viable in the next month or so, we'll dive deeper in Python/dJango/etc.. for MailMan 3.

Want to experiment with me?

Send an email to: [hidden email]

In the subject line, put the word:    subscribe

   - Allowing or disallowing members to send large/complex emails
   - GPG support ranging from simple signing to full on encryption of each message body, choosable by member.
   - Database/web archive of messages, or not.

Current code < 1k lines and looks like:

76069 Feb  3 00:35 chugalug.org.sql <-base database load. 6 tables.
24489 Feb  1 22:50 glass-core.php <-my cut and paste base application code
 5033 Feb  3 00:26 melee.php <-what does all the work
  730 Feb  2 21:50 README.md <-install notes
 1946 Feb  3 00:22 sendemail.php <-sends the email
  777 Feb  2 14:16 settings.inc <-basic settings

Re: [Chugalug] Melee

Billy
I love the idea, Mike!

Php just makes me feel dirty though.