[Chugalug] Networking Help

DaWorm
I've been beating my head against the wall for days trying to figure out if it is possible to do what I want with what I have but so far have come up empty.  Maybe someone out there can give me some clue.

What I Have:

ER-X Router connected to EPB on Eth0, Eth1 and Eth2 empty
Gig switch connected to Eth3
Gig switch connected to Eth4
AP-LR Access Point first switch along with TV and game system
NAS/Plex server connected to second switch along with a few Linux boxes.  NAS runs my Unify controller as a Synology package.

All of this works fine.

I also have a Nanostation M2 and an older Netgear Router.

What I Want To Do:

I'd like to put the M2 in my detached garage where the WiFi from the AP-LR barely works for my phone or a PC.  I figure it should be able to reach just fine.  I'd then like to take the ethernet from there to the old Netgear and have a separate WiFi network in the garage.  I'd like to be able to reach my NAS/Plex server from the garage as well as the internet.

My first step is trying to get the M2 to work, and this is where I'm hitting the wall.  I have a PC hooked to the ethernet jack for setup and can get to its config pages, have it connect to the AP-LR but nothing I do can get me internet access or access to my server from that PC.  If I can't do that, then hooking the Netgear to the M2 can't work.  I've tried Bridge mode, Router Mode, Soho Router mode.  I tried using the Unify controller to create a dedicated SSID just for the M2.  I tried setting up a VLAN on this secondary SSID and having the M2 bridge the WAN.vlan to LAN0.  Nothing I have tried has worked.  I can get the M2 connected to the AP-LR but nothing goes past that connection.

I don't care if the house network and garage network are on the same subnet or routed between different subnets as long as the garage can see my server in the house. But I just can't figure out how to make this work.

I know I could buy another M2 and bridge those as if they were just a wire, but I was hoping not to have to buy more stuff, plus I don't want to mount anything outside of the house as I really can't get into the attic to run the wires.

It seems to me that the stuff I have should be able to do this, I just don't have the skills to do it or know the right jargon to search for to figure it out on my own.

Any pointers on where to look?  Or is this simply impossible with the gear I have?

Thanks,
  Jeff

Re: [Chugalug] Networking Help

JustinMcAfee
Okay DenverCoder9. You wanna tell us how you fixed it? :p

Relevant xkcd: https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

On Jul 6, 2018, 16:03, DaWorm < [hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

RTFM, actually.  Somehow didn't catch the part about enabling NAT.

https://dl.ubnt.com/docs/M_Series_Beginner_Guide.pdf

It does work, but is very slow (about 3Mbs according to Ookla).

Signal strength on the M2 a bit weak too, about 70db where it should be less than 65db according to what I've read.  Considering the AP is in the middle of the house, and the M2 is mounted on the back wall inside the garage not pointed directly at the house, I can't really complain too much.  I really didn't want to put any holes in walls to get it outside, so it's the price I pay.

But it does what I need it to for now.  Mostly just needed so I can look up parts when I'm out here working on stereos, and to stream music from my Plex server.  Don't need video so slow is ok.

I'm sure it could be done better.  What I have now looks something like this:

EPB 100Mbs -> ER-X -> AP-LR -> Nano M2 -> Netgear WAG302 -> Atom based PC with USB WiFi adapter

ER-X and AP-LR are on 192.168.254.xxx
Nano M2 has 192.168.254.xxx on WiFI, 192.168.1.xxx on LAN
Netgear has 192.168.1.xxx on LAN, 192.168.2.xxx on WiFi

So between me and the internet it looks like three layers of NAT, which can't be fast.  Good thing I don't need anything incoming into the garage.

Jeff.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 4:10 PM JustinMcAfee <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

John Dills
Just wanted you to know - gmail does not like however you're sending your emails -

So your messages always go to my spam box... :)

Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you weren't aware.

Thanks!
John Dills