[Chugalug] Nightmare.... (OT)

John Aldrich
So some of you know I'm a part-time photographer. I get to hang out
with and photograph pretty young ladies (unfortunately that's ALL I
get to do with them! :D)
Stephen's post about the joys of having to restore from backup after
Symantec trashed the system reminded me of a problem I had last night.
So here's my setup: I have a dual-HDD dock on my computer desk. A
couple weeks ago I bought a new 3 Tb HDD to use as my primary drive,
so I made sure I copied all my photos to my second drive in the dock
and then copied that to an external hard drive, shut down the
computer, shut down the dock and swapped out the primary drive in the
docking station for the new one, booted back up, formatted the drive
and copied the files back over.
So last night, I was working on editing some of the photos from a
photoshoot I had with a young lady from Knoxville. I went to edit some
more photos from that shoot and my software (Lightroom) said it
couldn't find the photos, so I nearly had a heart attack. I went to
Windoze explorer and sure enough, all the files beyond a certain point
were missing. I nearly had a heart attack, as when I checked the
secondary drive and the external drive, they were missing there too.
My rational mind finally realized that if Lightroom knew about the
pictures, they had to have been on the primary drive at one time, and
if they aren't now, it must be because they didn't get copied to the
secondary drive before I swapped out the primary. So I go back and get
the old primary drive, shut down the computer, swap the current
primary for the old, boot back up, and sure enough the pictures were
there! I copied them back to the secondary and the external drive,
shut down, swapped the primary back to the new drive and copied the
files there too. :) Heart attack averted! :D

Re: [Chugalug] Nightmare.... (OT)

kitepilot
In a word:
rsync!
rsync!
rsync!

Well, that was three, but still: DO NOT TRUST WINDOZE FOR FILE COPY!
rsync!
rsync!
rsync!
ET

John Aldrich writes:

> So some of you know I'm a part-time photographer. I get to hang out  with
> and photograph pretty young ladies (unfortunately that's ALL I  get to do
> with them! :D)
> Stephen's post about the joys of having to restore from backup after
> Symantec trashed the system reminded me of a problem I had last night.
> So here's my setup: I have a dual-HDD dock on my computer desk. A  couple
> weeks ago I bought a new 3 Tb HDD to use as my primary drive,  so I made
> sure I copied all my photos to my second drive in the dock  and then
> copied that to an external hard drive, shut down the  computer, shut down
> the dock and swapped out the primary drive in the  docking station for the
> new one, booted back up, formatted the drive  and copied the files back
> over.
> So last night, I was working on editing some of the photos from a
> photoshoot I had with a young lady from Knoxville. I went to edit some
> more photos from that shoot and my software (Lightroom) said it  couldn't
> find the photos, so I nearly had a heart attack. I went to  Windoze
> explorer and sure enough, all the files beyond a certain point  were
> missing. I nearly had a heart attack, as when I checked the  secondary
> drive and the external drive, they were missing there too.  My rational
> mind finally realized that if Lightroom knew about the  pictures, they had
> to have been on the primary drive at one time, and  if they aren't now, it
> must be because they didn't get copied to the  secondary drive before I
> swapped out the primary. So I go back and get  the old primary drive, shut
> down the computer, swap the current  primary for the old, boot back up,
> and sure enough the pictures were  there! I copied them back to the
> secondary and the external drive,  shut down, swapped the primary back to
> the new drive and copied the  files there too. :) Heart attack averted! :D

Re: [Chugalug] Nightmare.... (OT)

Benjamin Stewart
This.

Plus, I have yet to find an rsync implementation on Windows that is reliable and doesn't do stupid cygwin tricks. And yes, I have tried!

John Aldrich writes:
[...]

                               <o(((><
                               ><)))o>

Re: [Chugalug] Nightmare.... (OT)

Mike Harrison

On May 16, 2014, at 10:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> In a word:
> rsync!
> rsync!
> rsync!
> Well, that was three, but still: DO NOT TRUST WINDOZE FOR FILE COPY!
> rsync!
> rsync!
> rsync!
> ET

rsync would be a great name for a geek band.

and I agree. so far, rsync and some shell scripts, expect scripts, and mail notifications of exceptions have saved my ass, even when also using Legato and other backup systems.

But then, I also do manual weekly backups Sunday AM’s off all my production servers just so I can watch the display scroll by and sleep better.

Re: [Chugalug] Nightmare.... (OT)

When I move (and then get married) later this year, I plan on buying a Synology NAS for my business and setup a rsync cron job on all of the servers I manage to run each night (right now, I'm just relying on the hardware provider's vm snapshots, but I want & need to take off-site backups as well).

While I'm at it, I'm going to setup some rsync scripts to backup my own machine, and once my fiance and I get married and she moves in, I'm going to rsync both of her Mac systems to the NAS as well (she's a teacher, and 1 of her Macs is school-issued).

Long story short, yes, I do trust myself to run my own backups - as long as I configure everything properly. :)

John Aldrich writes:
[...]

Founder & CEO

Develop CENTS
Nonprofit Organizations Worldwide

Re: [Chugalug] Nightmare.... (OT)

I was making snapshots of the VHDs for the servers that I was able to use to restore. We just had to juggle the licensing for SAP which took the most time.

John Aldrich writes:
So some of you know I'm a part-time photographer. I get to hang out  with and photograph pretty young ladies (unfortunately that's ALL I  get to do with them! :D)
Stephen's post about the joys of having to restore from backup after  Symantec trashed the system reminded me of a problem I had last night.
So here's my setup: I have a dual-HDD dock on my computer desk. A  couple weeks ago I bought a new 3 Tb HDD to use as my primary drive,  so I made sure I copied all my photos to my second drive in the dock  and then copied that to an external hard drive, shut down the  computer, shut down the dock and swapped out the primary drive in the  docking station for the new one, booted back up, formatted the drive  and copied the files back over.
So last night, I was working on editing some of the photos from a  photoshoot I had with a young lady from Knoxville. I went to edit some  more photos from that shoot and my software (Lightroom) said it  couldn't find the photos, so I nearly had a heart attack. I went to  Windoze explorer and sure enough, all the files beyond a certain point  were missing. I nearly had a heart attack, as when I checked the  secondary drive and the external drive, they were missing there too.  My rational mind finally realized that if Lightroom knew about the  pictures, they had to have been on the primary drive at one time, and  if they aren't now, it must be because they didn't get copied to the  secondary drive before I swapped out the primary. So I go back and get  the old primary drive, shut down the computer, swap the current  primary for the old, boot back up, and sure enough the pictures were  there! I copied them back to the secondary and the external drive,  shut down, swapped the primary back to the new drive and copied the  files there too. :) Heart attack averted! :D

                              Benjamin Stewart

                               <o(((><
                               ><)))o>

Re: [Chugalug] Nightmare.... (OT)

kitepilot
Yes, I trust my backups.  I can rebuild any of my Linux boxes from one in
minutes.  From the hardware up.
No, I don't trust Window$ implementations of rsync, but then again, I don't
trust anything under Micro$haft control.

This was not a 'backup', it was a 'file transfer'.
For file transfer of Window$ boxes, I boot them from a live CD (usually
Debian), mount the partitions, perform the transfer and sleep like a baby.
An old, fat, ugly and stinky baby, but a baby anyway...   :)
ET

Benjamin Stewart writes:

> This.
>
> Plus, I have yet to find an rsync implementation on Windows that is
> reliable and doesn't do stupid cygwin tricks. And yes, I have tried!
>

> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:12 AM, James Nylen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Do you trust yourself to manage your own backups?  I don't.  John's story
>> is a good example of why I will gladly pay CrashPlan to do it for me.
>>

>> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 9:00 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> In a word:
>>> rsync!
>>> rsync!
>>> rsync!
>>> Well, that was three, but still: DO NOT TRUST WINDOZE FOR FILE COPY!
>>> rsync!
>>> rsync!
>>> rsync!
>>> ET

>                               Benjamin Stewart
>                                <o(((><
>                                ><)))o>

Re: [Chugalug] Nightmare.... (OT)

David White
No, I don't trust Window$ implementations of rsync, but then again, I don't trust anything under Micro$haft control.

One of the reasons why I'm buying a Mac as my primary OS within the next year (possibly less).

John Aldrich writes:
So some of you know I'm a part-time photographer. I get to hang out
 with and photograph pretty young ladies (unfortunately that's ALL I  get
to do with them! :D)
Stephen's post about the joys of having to restore from backup after
 Symantec trashed the system reminded me of a problem I had last night.
So here's my setup: I have a dual-HDD dock on my computer desk. A
 couple weeks ago I bought a new 3 Tb HDD to use as my primary drive,  so I
made sure I copied all my photos to my second drive in the dock  and then
copied that to an external hard drive, shut down the  computer, shut down
the dock and swapped out the primary drive in the  docking station for the
new one, booted back up, formatted the drive  and copied the files back
over.
So last night, I was working on editing some of the photos from a
 photoshoot I had with a young lady from Knoxville. I went to edit some
 more photos from that shoot and my software (Lightroom) said it  couldn't
find the photos, so I nearly had a heart attack. I went to  Windoze
explorer and sure enough, all the files beyond a certain point  were
missing. I nearly had a heart attack, as when I checked the  secondary
drive and the external drive, they were missing there too.  My rational
mind finally realized that if Lightroom knew about the  pictures, they had
to have been on the primary drive at one time, and  if they aren't now, it
must be because they didn't get copied to the  secondary drive before I
swapped out the primary. So I go back and get  the old primary drive, shut
down the computer, swap the current  primary for the old, boot back up, and
sure enough the pictures were  there! I copied them back to the secondary
and the external drive,  shut down, swapped the primary back to the new
drive and copied the  files there too. :) Heart attack averted! :D
                              Benjamin Stewart
                               <o(((><
                               ><)))o>

Founder & CEO

Develop CENTS
Nonprofit Organizations Worldwide

Re: [Chugalug] Nightmare.... (OT)

Stephen Kraus

Well, unfortunately we are a fully vetted Windows shop, except for our firewall and hypervisors