[Chugalug] OT: Antivirus (AVG, Avast, Avira)

[Chugalug] OT: Antivirus (AVG, Avast, Avira)

Unkmar
Who has run all three in the past year? (Not at the same time.)
I am curious as to speed/performance. I'll restate, Which one has the smallest performance hit.  Which one hurts the system the least?

All active antivirus programs cause a performance hit.  Some are dreadful.  So bad, that they can be as damaging as the malware they claim to protect against.

Anyway, I'd like someones recent actual use opinion on which sucks the least.
(Target system, Windows 7 Pro.)

PS: Not one of my systems. You want find me running Windows on anything ever.
Eh, I still maintain other peoples Windows systems.

Lucius L. Hilley III

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Antivirus (AVG, Avast, Avira)

Michael Scholten
Can't say anything about Avira. I have poked at AVG a few times over the years but was never taken by it. Sorry, can't give you any reasons.

I have been a huge fan of Avast for 8+ years however I have been falling away lately and looking at Microsoft's Defender/Security Essentials. D/SE is certainly not the best however it's been getting better.

One of the features that kept me from getting away from Avast was the boot time scan (scanning the system before everything starts thus helping it find things that may otherwise hide from a normal scan) but now Defender, and I assume Security Essentials although I can't check right now, has their "Offline Scan" (Under Advanced Scans in Virus & threat protection) which is a similar option.

Sadly Avast has been getting rather bloated with partial scans that then make you pay to actually be of any use and making it hard for a normal user to tell the difference between "premium/ad" features and free features in the client. Obviously this goes away if you pay for it.