[Chugalug] OT:BEST Android phone yet... LG G2 VS980 Verizon

[Chugalug] OT:BEST Android phone yet... LG G2 VS980 Verizon

Phil Sieg
Got a new piece of kit. Here is how it happened:

My business partner got the new LG G3 5.5" but 20% smaller than the Galaxy Note 2/3 even though the screen is the same size. I have been VERY impressed with my Nexus 5 and his G3 is amazing, in fact almost perfect. The ONE THING it is lacking is the wireless Qi charging.

Well I am hooked on Qi the way a crack ho loves rock... yes it is that bad. If you don't have wireless charging, you thing I am an idiot. If you do, you get it. There simply is no going back, not even for the iPhone 6.

The problem is that I am still dissatisfied with the battery life on my Nexus 5. I have rooted, rom-ed, kerneled, and tweaked this thing to death, and have gotten every last drop of energy out of it, and it just isn't enough, especially for international travel.

So I start reading up on hacking Qi into the G3, and find out that the G2 from Verizon has it built in.

For those of you that don't know, the LG G2 is the Nexus 5 on steroids. It is the exact same size with a .2 inch larger screen (5.2 vs 5.0) due to smaller bezels. It has a bigger battery, better camera, better screen, and the Verizon model's SIM slot is UNLOCKED. You can use the ATT Straighttalk SIM and it will do HSPA+ (4G) without hacking and LTE if you flash an AOSP rom.

OH and it doesn't have any stupid buttons on the side where they get pressed accidentally ALL THE TIME. The buttons for power/vol are in the center of the back just below the Camera...which actually rocks.

The best part: $225 on ebay for like new in the box 32GB!!!

So far I am digging it.

Will rant in a few days if battery life is disappointing.

No rant means I am pleased.

Phil Sieg
President
SeniorTech LLC / snapfōn®
www.snapfon.com
[hidden email]

Phone: 423.535.9968
Fax: 423.265.9820
Mobile: 423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

Re: [Chugalug] OT:BEST Android phone yet... LG G2 VS980 Verizon

Nick Smith
Doesnt keep them from making ads poking fun at iphone's battery life.
I find it interesting your not having the great battery life they claim.

For me its about the OS on the device, i just can get into Android, Ive tried. I just like iOS so much better.  You can do some cool stuff with Android, but its not enough to make me change.  Would love wireless charging as well.

Keep us posted, i am curious as to what you find out.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM, Phil Sieg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Phone: <a href="tel:423.535.9968" value="+14235359968">423.535.9968
Fax: <a href="tel:423.265.9820" value="+14232659820">423.265.9820
Mobile: <a href="tel:423.331.0725" value="+14233310725">423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

Re: [Chugalug] OT:BEST Android phone yet... LG G2 VS980 Verizon

DaWorm
On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
For me its about the OS on the device, i just can get into Android, Ive tried. I just like iOS so much better.  You can do some cool stuff with Android, but its not enough to make me change.  Would love wireless charging as well.

I hear this is pretty much an iPhone copy on Android (via Slashdot):

And don't get me started about Verizon's version of the Note 2 leaving out the Qi charging pads...

Jeff.

Re: [Chugalug] OT:BEST Android phone yet... LG G2 VS980 Verizon

Chris Mowery
Just to clarify, the Google Nexus 5 is made by LG, the Galaxy S5 is made by Samsung.

[...]

Phone: <a href="tel:423.535.9968" value="+14235359968" target="_blank">423.535.9968
Fax: <a href="tel:423.265.9820" value="+14232659820" target="_blank">423.265.9820
Mobile: <a href="tel:423.331.0725" value="+14233310725" target="_blank">423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

Re: [Chugalug] OT:BEST Android phone yet... LG G2 VS980 Verizon

I think Google just found other ways to reach its goals. (IMNSHO) Google bought Motorola with the intent of showing what a quality Android device could do if the Nexus series failed. I think Google had a large hand in the making of the Moto X/G which is a great mid/low end set of phones. Google having less need to push Android handset makers to make better handsets now also has no need for the device devision.

Finally don't forget that Google did not sell the patents that they purchased, so some of the move was likely for defense in the patent wars.

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Phil Sieg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, Google SOLD Motorola to Lenovo... since they weren't doing anything with them. Heh.

Re: [Chugalug] OT:BEST Android phone yet... LG G2 VS980 Verizon

Chris Mowery
They kept Motorola's patent portfolio. They also kept the Project Ara team.

The basic idea is that the sale of Motorola’s home business, cash on hand, deferred tax assets and the $2.91 billion Google received from Lenovo mean that in the end, Google paid less than $3.5 billion for Motorola’s patent portfolio, which it retained after the sale.

Chris

Quoting Phil Sieg <[hidden email]>:

> Yes, Google SOLD Motorola to Lenovo... since they weren't doing
> anything with them. Heh.

I think Google wasn't wanting the hardware, they were wanting the
patents, and other "intellectual property"

Re: [Chugalug] OT:BEST Android phone yet... LG G2 VS980 Verizon

Phil Sieg
Yes the battery life is much better than my Nexus 5.

I tried the Paranoid Android AOSP rom but hat a LOT of little glitches and such, so I just switched back to the Verizon stock rom (rooted) and am using Xposed framework and some modules to get as close to the AOSP look and feel.

One of the things I learned about my Nexus 5 was that even though it has LTE as does straighttalk (my provider) there is no real benefit, and it was costing me battery life and dropped calls. For my purposes HSPA+ works a LOT better. Signal strength is far better in a lot more places. LTE is very cool when you are running a speed test... real life 5,10,50, and 50 mbits all feels about the same on a phone.

I must say that this is the BEST phone I have owned, and I am ALL IN at $220 for a factory unlocked device.

Oh and the LG IR Remote app that comes with it is the BOMB! The very best "smart remote" I own. Just wish the IR was a bit stronger.

On Aug 26, 2014, at 10:47 AM, James Nylen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tim Youngblood
Phil,

I've stretched the Nexus 5 for two days at times. Certainly not international travel like you, but I found that quite acceptable. Without a battery it would be painful for sure.

Tim

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Phil Sieg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'll probably put AOKP (www.aokp.co) on it.

How did you find out that the Verizon model's SIM slot is unlocked?  The eBay listing I ordered from doesn't mention that.

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Phil Sieg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Looking at the listing it states this:

Activation Status
This CDMA Cell Phone has a clear ESN for activation with Verizon. Since this phone is locked to Verizon, it can only be used on their network. SIM card is required for activation, which can be obtained from Verizon.

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 11:33 AM, James Nylen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Robert Kelly III

On 08/18/2014 09:34 PM, Phil Sieg wrote:

> Got a new piece of kit. Here is how it happened:
>
> My business partner got the new LG G3 5.5" but 20% smaller than
> the Galaxy Note 2/3 even though the screen is the same size. I have
> been VERY impressed with my Nexus 5 and his G3 is amazing, in fact
> almost perfect. The ONE THING it is lacking is the wireless Qi
> charging.
>
> Well I am hooked on Qi the way a crack ho loves rock... yes it is
> that bad. If you don't have wireless charging, you thing I am an
> idiot. If you do, you get it. There simply is no going back, not
> even for the iPhone 6.
>
> The problem is that I am still dissatisfied with the battery life
> on my Nexus 5. I have rooted, rom-ed, kerneled, and tweaked this
> thing to death, and have gotten every last drop of energy out of
> it, and it just isn't enough, especially for international travel.
>
> So I start reading up on hacking Qi into the G3, and find out that
> the G2 from Verizon has it built in.
>
> For those of you that don't know, the LG G2 is the Nexus 5 on
> steroids. It is the exact same size with a .2 inch larger screen
> (5.2 vs 5.0) due to smaller bezels. It has a bigger battery,
> better camera, better screen, and the Verizon model's SIM slot is
> UNLOCKED. You can use the ATT Straighttalk SIM and it will do HSPA+
> (4G) without hacking and LTE if you flash an AOSP rom.
>
> OH and it doesn't have any stupid buttons on the side where they
> get pressed accidentally ALL THE TIME. The buttons for power/vol
> are in the center of the back just below the Camera...which
> actually rocks.
>
> The best part: $225 on ebay for like new in the box 32GB!!!
>
> So far I am digging it.

I'm planning to buy an new Android phone and was thinking about the
Nexus 5. The LG G2 sounds interesting. Does it also come with an
unlockable bootloader like the Nexus? Have you found any drawbacks
with this phone?