[Chugalug] [OT] Chinese VPN advice

Chad Smith
Any advice for an American soon-to-be Expat in China with regards to VPNs?

SSH Tunneling has been suggested, but there's no "home server" to tunnel back to.

Any other wisdom from people who have lived/worked/web-surfed overseas, particularly behind the Great Firewall of China?

Thanks!

Re: [Chugalug] [OT] Chinese VPN advice

Michael Hodges
perhaps https://www.digitalocean.com/ with a forward? i had a dns
server setup for a while there.

Grant
On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 2:28 PM Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any advice for an American soon-to-be Expat in China with regards to VPNs?
>
> SSH Tunneling has been suggested, but there's no "home server" to tunnel back to.
>
> Any other wisdom from people who have lived/worked/web-surfed overseas, particularly behind the Great Firewall of China?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Chad W. Smith

Re: [Chugalug] [OT] Chinese VPN advice

JustinMcAfee
I currently offer two production servers for $10/month.

One uses OpenVPN and the other Wireguard.

We are currently in a beta state as we are building in redundancy, removing logs, segmenting from our prod network, etc...

If you'd like a trial certificate, I'd be more than happy to support you. We have clients in Germany and China now, though we have been blessed by the fact that Netflix and others haven't noticed that we are a VPN yet. We're we to lose that status, we'd likely have to seek out new IPs or move our servers all together.

I don't usually self-promote on list, if that doesn't work or you're not interested, setting up Wireguard on a digitalocean vps will be a good option as well. (See my previous onlist email re:wireguard setup)

Also socks proxy through tor and other options exist.

Justin McAfee, cipher6
PGP Public Key:
https://flowcrypt.com/pub/justinamcafee
To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider *
* whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,       *
* foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. *

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.