[Chugalug] OT: Installing Security Cameras

[Chugalug] OT: Installing Security Cameras

Andy Burnett
I've been thinking about installing some security cameras around my home.
Luckily, we haven't had any incidents to speak of, but A) trying to be
proactive, and B) interesting in learning about the tech.  Any
recommendations on cameras to buy?  Video storage?  I'm not afraid to run
Ethernet throughout the house and buy a PoE switch.  I'd also like to be
sent an alert when motion is detected by the cameras during certain hours
and have that video recorded and saved.  Does anyone have any
recommendations?  Any input is appreciated since this is all totally new to
me.

--
Sent from: http://chugalug.1100489.n5.nabble.com/

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Installing Security Cameras

Phil Sieg
Lowest cost easiest to wire are Chinesium POE cameras on ebay. I have a bunch of them. They work fine for me, buy some extras for when they stop working fine.

The Nest are great as are several others, we also use the Canary system in one place in the house.

My preference is POE anything. BUT you will need zoneMinder or Eyespye or some other “program” to interface and store the feed from the Chinesiums.

Phil Sieg
Founder
ring-u llc
www.ring-u.com (coming soon)
[hidden email]

Phone: 423.567.4888
Mobile: 423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

On Sep 6, 2017, at 2:19 PM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've been thinking about installing some security cameras around my home.
Luckily, we haven't had any incidents to speak of, but A) trying to be
proactive, and B) interesting in learning about the tech.  Any
recommendations on cameras to buy?  Video storage?  I'm not afraid to run
Ethernet throughout the house and buy a PoE switch.  I'd also like to be
sent an alert when motion is detected by the cameras during certain hours
and have that video recorded and saved.  Does anyone have any
recommendations?  Any input is appreciated since this is all totally new to
me.

--
Sent from: http://chugalug.1100489.n5.nabble.com/

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Installing Security Cameras

Aaron welch
I also have several POE switches available if you need one (or 3).

-Aaron

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Phil Sieg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lowest cost easiest to wire are Chinesium POE cameras on ebay. I have a bunch of them. They work fine for me, buy some extras for when they stop working fine.

The Nest are great as are several others, we also use the Canary system in one place in the house.

My preference is POE anything. BUT you will need zoneMinder or Eyespye or some other “program” to interface and store the feed from the Chinesiums.

Phil Sieg
Founder
ring-u llc
www.ring-u.com (coming soon)
[hidden email]

Phone: <a href="tel:(423)%20567-4888" value="+14235674888" target="_blank">423.567.4888
Mobile: <a href="tel:(423)%20331-0725" value="+14233310725" target="_blank">423.331.0725

[...]

Aaron Welch
Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Installing Security Cameras

In addition to tripwires, booby traps, rusty car parts, rabid chickens and other deterrents, I employ a few dlink dcs-932 wireless cams around the house.    Easy setup, can detect sound/motion, can email/ftp pics/vids.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Installing Security Cameras

Ashley Wilson
Here's something I put together recently:

GPG-encrypts the images, dumps them to S3

The resin.io service is free for up to 5 devices, and this works with any Pi using the Pi cam, or a Linux-supported webcam.

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:

In addition to tripwires, booby traps, rusty car parts, rabid chickens and other deterrents, I employ a few dlink dcs-932 wireless cams around the house.    Easy setup, can detect sound/motion, can email/ftp pics/vids.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Installing Security Cameras

Michael Scholten
I suggest giving Zoneminder a go. It does pretty much everything you're wanting.

You can have it record only on motion as well as "paint" sections of the video feed that you want it to "watch" in case, say, you have a feed of your front yard but the cars on the street keep triggering the motion detection. You can tell it ignore the street and only watch the front walk.

I haven't tried it but you should be able to send an alert when a camera detects motion.

I have had issues with cheap cameras giving a bad/pixelated feed at night which kept setting off the motion detection so be mindful of that.

Also remember, the more cameras you have with selective/zonal detection the more work your server will need to do. You may have to consider the power of the computer...

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 4:58 PM Ashley Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's something I put together recently:

GPG-encrypts the images, dumps them to S3

The resin.io service is free for up to 5 devices, and this works with any Pi using the Pi cam, or a Linux-supported webcam.

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:

In addition to tripwires, booby traps, rusty car parts, rabid chickens and other deterrents, I employ a few dlink dcs-932 wireless cams around the house.    Easy setup, can detect sound/motion, can email/ftp pics/vids.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Installing Security Cameras

russell c
We have a Sharx Security camera in the office.

-
Russell

> On Sep 6, 2017, at 2:19 PM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been thinking about installing some security cameras around my home.
> Luckily, we haven't had any incidents to speak of, but A) trying to be
> proactive, and B) interesting in learning about the tech.  Any
> recommendations on cameras to buy?  Video storage?  I'm not afraid to run
> Ethernet throughout the house and buy a PoE switch.  I'd also like to be
> sent an alert when motion is detected by the cameras during certain hours
> and have that video recorded and saved.  Does anyone have any
> recommendations?  Any input is appreciated since this is all totally new to
> me.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://chugalug.1100489.n5.nabble.com/

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Installing Security Cameras

heffelfinger007
I have some cheaper night/day POE cameras on the front, and by my garage. I
also have a couple older Axis poe cams in my garage. I also have a wireless
cam that sometimes gets moved around. I have a Windows box running Blue
Iris, that takes all the feeds, and manages motion detection, alerts, and
recording onto the HDD.

It works pretty dang good for what it is. The hardest part was running the
cat6 to where I wanted it.