[Chugalug] OT: Kids Coding?

Ok so my daughter wants to graduate out of Sketch. She is more or less ready for real coding. She is also interested in Javascript as I showed her out to use it to make a button change the color of some text and throw up an alert (We should never forget how much this computer stuff looks like magic and how easy it is to get a kid interested).

So what are the suggestions out there? I think she still needs more guidance (and fun) than just an editor and a book. It also likely needs to be targeted to kids to meet her attention span.

Things I have been looking at:

Tynker (Looks nice. Does block coding and real coding. Expensive, and not that much in the real coding area?)
Kodable (Messy look and no way for the kids to log in separately, but cheap)

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Kids Coding?

Jason Griffey

Have you taken a look at Scratch?

https://scratch.mit.edu

Super flexible, some interesting robotics stuff you can do with Sphero. Really fantastic community.

Jason
On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 8:13 PM Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok so my daughter wants to graduate out of Sketch. She is more or less ready for real coding. She is also interested in Javascript as I showed her out to use it to make a button change the color of some text and throw up an alert (We should never forget how much this computer stuff looks like magic and how easy it is to get a kid interested).

So what are the suggestions out there? I think she still needs more guidance (and fun) than just an editor and a book. It also likely needs to be targeted to kids to meet her attention span.

Things I have been looking at:

Tynker (Looks nice. Does block coding and real coding. Expensive, and not that much in the real coding area?)
Kodable (Messy look and no way for the kids to log in separately, but cheap)

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Kids Coding?

John Hunt
Khan Academy, best known for their math tutorials, has a computer science section at
The programming section section uses javascript, it has two panels, one with code, one displaying a graphic image created by the code.
as you change the code the graphics panel changes in realtime.
it's free, you might as well have a look

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 9:13 PM Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok so my daughter wants to graduate out of Sketch. She is more or less ready for real coding. She is also interested in Javascript as I showed her out to use it to make a button change the color of some text and throw up an alert (We should never forget how much this computer stuff looks like magic and how easy it is to get a kid interested).

So what are the suggestions out there? I think she still needs more guidance (and fun) than just an editor and a book. It also likely needs to be targeted to kids to meet her attention span.

Things I have been looking at:

Tynker (Looks nice. Does block coding and real coding. Expensive, and not that much in the real coding area?)
Kodable (Messy look and no way for the kids to log in separately, but cheap)

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Kids Coding?

Alex Smith (K4RNT)
I vote for either Python or Ruby. Both are available on Codecademy for free for starters.

Also look at the classes on Coursera in programming.

Please keep us appraised of her progress! We'd love to hear it!

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 6:13 PM Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok so my daughter wants to graduate out of Sketch. She is more or less ready for real coding.

Got a coworker who is part of a local Coder Dojo group. He's out of
town this week, but I'll hit him up for some suggestions when he gets
back, apparently there's something called Code Combat that he and one
of his sons are super into.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Kids Coding?

Nick Smith
If you have apple products, they provide free Swift training apps.