[Chugalug] [OT] Need a small server

Stephen Haywood
I can get a Mac Mini with a 2.3Ghz QuadCore i7, 8Gb RAM, and 2-1TB hard drives for $1099. Are there any other companies with comparable hardware in a similar sized form factor for less money? It must support Linux with little or no problems. I know Mac is not Linux but it's close enough for what I'm doing.
--
Stephen Haywood
Owner, ASG Consulting

Re: [Chugalug] [OT] Need a small server

Rod-Lists
hit the c key on startup to boot from optical disk. Put whatever you want
on it.

I found this. https://www.system76.com/desktops/model/ratp2. I can customize it to match the Mac mini specs and its $907. Know of any other sources for small servers that can run Linux?
--
Stephen Haywood
Owner, ASG Consulting

On Sep 26, 2013, at 10:15 PM, Rod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hit the c key on startup to boot from optical disk. Put whatever you want on it.
>
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:58:47 -0400, Stephen Haywood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I can get a Mac Mini with a 2.3Ghz QuadCore i7, 8Gb RAM, and 2-1TB hard drives for $1099. Are there any other companies with comparable hardware in a similar sized form factor for less money? It must support Linux with little or no problems. I know Mac is not Linux but it's close enough for what I'm doing.
>> --
>> Stephen Haywood
>> Owner, ASG Consulting
>> CISSP, GSEC, OSCP
>> 423.305.3700
>> [hidden email]

Re: [Chugalug] [OT] Need a small server

Dave Brockman

Re: [Chugalug] [OT] Need a small server

Matt Keys
$629, supermicro barebones LGA 1366 (i7, xeon 5600) 2u rackmount, 6 bay sata2 hotswaps raid0/1/5/10, 24gb max ddr3 1333, dual gbe nics :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101235

Oddly enough, the 1U was the same price :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101232

On 09/26/2013 10:43 PM, Stephen Haywood wrote:
I found this. https://www.system76.com/desktops/model/ratp2. I can customize it to match the Mac mini specs and its $907. Know of any other sources for small servers that can run Linux?
--
Stephen Haywood
Owner, ASG Consulting
CISSP, GSEC, OSCP
423.305.3700

Re: [Chugalug] [OT] Need a small server

John Aldrich-2
On Fri September 27 2013 1:21:10 AM Matt Keys wrote:
> $629, supermicro barebones LGA 1366 (i7, xeon 5600) 2u rackmount, 6 bay
> sata2 hotswaps raid0/1/5/10, 24gb max ddr3 1333, dual gbe nics :
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101235[1]
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101232[2]

I cannot recommend NewEgg after they sold me a used hard drive pulled from an
external drive and sold it to me as new. As others have said, shop NewEgg for
the reviews, but don't actually *buy* from them.

Amazon has a Supermicro 1RU rackmount server for under $500 --
http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-SuperServer-LGA1155-Barebone-SYS-5017C-MF/dp/B005190XWA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380279403&sr=8-2&keywords=Supermicro+barebones+server

Re: [Chugalug] [OT] Need a small server

Stephen Haywood
Dave,

 I did forget to mention the use case. I need a small portable box that I can load up with virtual machines for a training class I'm doing. The Mac mini is ultra portable and has enough horse power to run a few VMs. I want a Quadcore with at least 8Gb of RAM and a small form factor.

Stephen Haywood
Owner, ASG Consulting
CISSP, GSEC, OSCP
423.305.3700
[hidden email]

On Sep 27, 2013, at 12:20 AM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Signed PGP part
> On 9/26/2013 10:43 PM, Stephen Haywood wrote:
> > I found this. https://www.system76.com/desktops/model/ratp2. I can
> > customize it to match the Mac mini specs and its $907. Know of any
> > other sources for small servers that can run Linux?
>
> You haven't really defined what you want except for a "server" and I
> suppose you would like to match the form factor of the mac mini
> mentioned in the original post.  Myself, I don't consider anything
> close to the mac mini form factor a "server".  If you want mac
> hardware at a cheaper price, it can be done.  Assembling things
> yourself with a lot of price-shopping can get you there with time.  If
> it's small, the first thing I want from it is > 1 NIC.  I measure
> servers in RU space and prefer them to use server processors.  FWIW,
> you can easily fit 8 AMD cores, 32 GB RAM and 2 x 1TB HDD way under
> $1k.  I spent over $300 on the video card I put in my last build and
> the difference is less than your mac mini price.
>
> Regards,
>
> dtb

Re: [Chugalug] [OT] Need a small server

DaWorm
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Stephen Haywood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dave,

 I did forget to mention the use case. I need a small portable box that I can load up with virtual machines for a training class I'm doing. The Mac mini is ultra portable and has enough horse power to run a few VMs. I want a Quadcore with at least 8Gb of RAM and a small form factor.

I've used a couple of the lower end Zotac boxes.  Got one for my dad and put in an SSD to reduce the total moving parts to one fan, since his other machines were constantly breaking down.  Been a good little box.  Not sure about the higher end ones, but they meet or exceed you specs.

Jeff.

Quoting Stephen Haywood <[hidden email]>:

> Dave,
>
>  I did forget to mention the use case. I need a small portable box
> that I can load up with virtual machines for a training class I'm
> doing. The Mac mini is ultra portable and has enough horse power to
> run a few VMs. I want a Quadcore with at least 8Gb of RAM and a
> small form factor.

Stephen, how about this:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-ProLiant-MicroServer-704941-001-Server/dp/tech-data/B00AKWUZ58/ref=de_a_smtd

Looks like it may be pretty bare-bones (i.e. you add the HDD and RAM)
but at this price point ($345) it's hard to beat. Add in a free server
O/S and you're good to go at under $500. :)

Re: [Chugalug] [OT] Need a small server

Chad Smith
Does Amazon break anybody else's back button or is it just me?  (it seems to double-load the page, so if you hit "back" it goes "back" to the same page, and then reloads it again, leaving another copy in your history - making it even harder to truly go back.)

Re: [Chugalug] [OT] Need a small server

Keith

I can confirm this behavior in Chrome.

Thanks,
Keith

On Sep 27, 2013 11:41 AM, "Chad Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does Amazon break anybody else's back button or is it just me?  (it seems to double-load the page, so if you hit "back" it goes "back" to the same page, and then reloads it again, leaving another copy in your history - making it even harder to truly go back.)

Re: [Chugalug] [OT] Need a small server

Alex Smith (K4RNT)
How about an HP ProLiant Microserver?

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stephen, The Dell Inspiron Zinio HD seems to be a good solution - but they don't make them anymore.  You might be able to find a used one for not much money.

- Chad W. Smith

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you.  I thought I was taking Crazy Pills.

- Chad W. Smith

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Keith <[hidden email]> wrote:

I can confirm this behavior in Chrome.

Thanks,
Keith

On Sep 27, 2013 11:41 AM, "Chad Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does Amazon break anybody else's back button or is it just me?  (it seems to double-load the page, so if you hit "back" it goes "back" to the same page, and then reloads it again, leaving another copy in your history - making it even harder to truly go back.)

" ' With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on we’re all damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith (K4RNT)