[Chugalug] OT: Reaching out for a Friend

[Chugalug] OT: Reaching out for a Friend

Stephen Kraus
I have a friend who is trying to get into IT, he's going to school right now, he already has a Bachelors in Psychology, but he's shifted focus, he's looking for just something more inline with what he wants to do.

Let me know if you know of anything, he's not expecting anything fantastic.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Reaching out for a Friend

I'd give the same advice I give to others attempting to switch from career X to career Y. Find a job doing Y in a company that focuses on X. In other words leverage your knowledge of how things work where you have experience to give you a leg up. In his case, perhaps looking for a company that does HR related stuff and applying for IT jobs there.

The other advice is to apply for jobs even in places you don't want to go (not can't due to cost of living, but want. Like I don't want to live in Montana, but if there's a job there...)

Also I'd get into some of the Slack groups in areas he is interested in moving to.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 8:47 PM Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a friend who is trying to get into IT, he's going to school right now, he already has a Bachelors in Psychology, but he's shifted focus, he's looking for just something more inline with what he wants to do.

Let me know if you know of anything, he's not expecting anything fantastic.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Reaching out for a Friend

Lisa Harrison Ridley
If there is an open source programming framework that piques his interest, download it, start learning it, get involved with the community, open a GitHub account and post repos with coding samples and simple applications he has architected...doesn’t have to be complicated but it does need to work, and needs to adhere to coding standards for the chosen platform...demonstrates a basic understanding of framework principles, programming concepts and discipline with adherence to standards of practice...its how I got my start 11 years ago and it paid dividends in about a year.

It’s all about investing the time and effort and demonstrating aptitude and comprehension, not about collecting pieces of paper.

The best web developers I’ve ever worked with did NOT have CS or Engineering degrees, they had right brained creative degrees and a logical left brain mindset.  A Psychology degree would go a long way toward a career in UI / UX design and consulting, which is all psychologically driven anyway.

My two cents, I have a business undergrad, a finance grad degree and this is my third career, and my most passion driven :)

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 4, 2018, at 9:43 PM, Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

David White-2
Thanks for thinking of me, Wil.
Though I'm no longer doing IT (support), in the general sense of the word. I've been working as a Linux sysadmin (as a contractor) over on TVA's cybersecurity team for the last year.

Stephen, if your friend knows Linux at all and is interested in supporting websites or webhosting environments, I'd be willing to talk to him, and at least show him the ropes. If he doesn't know much, I probably couldn't give him root access to my servers or show him a lot, but I'd at least be willing to talk to him.

Develop CENTS is still definitely going strong and steady, though. I have a number of contractors working for me when I'm not available, and I'm still doing website hosting, website maintenance and some web development work. I blogged about the transition away from providing general IT services when I joined TVA last August: https://developcents.com/2017/08/02/shifting-business-model/

On a side note, I'm also looking for something different, ideally something that will let me work remote and/or that is a small business or startup. I'm interested in doing Linux ops, but am also seriously looking into pen testing, incident response / blue team work, or threat intel on the cybersecurity side. If anyone has any leads where I might be a good fit, I'd be grateful. I've applied to a few remote pen testing jobs, as well as a few (also remote) Linux ops positions, but nothing has materialized yet.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 10:34 PM Lisa Harrison Ridley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That's really weird. Looks like a good portion of my email didn't make it through... I've never seen that happen before.

Generally, what I said in the cut off part was:
I'm still running Develop CENTS in the side, and it is actually growing. I blogged last year about the transition and what I planned to do with Develop CENTS going forward: https://developcents.com/2017/08/02/shifting-business-model/

Stephen, I'd be willing to talk to your friend if he has any interest in web development (mostly WordPress) or Linux sysadmin work (LAMP stacks). I probably wouldn't be able to give him much work, especially if he doesn't really know anything, but I would certainly be willing to talk to him, answer questions, and if there were easy tasks I could give him I could possibly do that.

In the my earlier email that got cut off, I also mentioned that I am looking for a different job. If anyone knows of anything where I might be a good fit, I would appreciate any leads. I'm extremely interested in doing Linux Ops, or pursuing something in the pen testing, incident response, or threat until side of cybersecurity. I am over halfway through studying for the CISSP exam.

Ideally, I'll find something remote, and I have applied to and/or interviewed for a few different pen testing positions, but nothing has materialized yet.

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 6:14 AM David White <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Aaron Moyer
I'm Stephen's friend and thank you all for your advice. I used Linux a tiny bit way back in High School (so that's about 10-15 years ago) and I remember a little bit. I'm currently going to Chattanooga State for a Networking degree and will be learning some programming along with the physical aspects of networking.

I'm rather new to programming to be honest. I bought a huge bundle of programming ebooks a while back that I'm going to start working through once I have some free time. Stephen recommended I start with Python and I've got a book for that to work through. I'm also going to see about getting some stuff for C++/C# as well as others.

I'm going to get back into Linux pretty soon, I just need to install it on an old laptop once I find it.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Reaching out for a Friend

Aaron (and others),

It is a great way to get to know others learning and learn some stuff together.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 5:17 PM Aaron Moyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm Stephen's friend and thank you all for your advice. I used Linux a tiny bit way back in High School (so that's about 10-15 years ago) and I remember a little bit. I'm currently going to Chattanooga State for a Networking degree and will be learning some programming along with the physical aspects of networking.

I'm rather new to programming to be honest. I bought a huge bundle of programming ebooks a while back that I'm going to start working through once I have some free time. Stephen recommended I start with Python and I've got a book for that to work through. I'm also going to see about getting some stuff for C++/C# as well as others.

I'm going to get back into Linux pretty soon, I just need to install it on an old laptop once I find it.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Reaching out for a Friend

Billy
I also recommend getting an AWS lightsail [1], linode [2], or digital ocean droplet [3] running whatever flavor of Linux.

You can create and destroy the instance as much as you want, and you’re only charged while it exists. Plans are are low as $5 per month.

I have a $10 instance myself that I use for various things.

Just create your instance, log in, and play around. If you break it, just delete it, and create a new one. When you’re done playing, delete it.

1: https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/

--b