[Chugalug] OT: Solar

Nick Smith
Quiet around here lately.

I know nothing about solar yet, but wanted to see if anyone on the list has experience with it.  I have a rack of servers that i want to see if its even possible to power with solar and what the cost would be.  Its costing me an arm and a leg.  I know it was expensive last i heard about it but im hoping the tech has improved and the cost has come down.  Im mainly looking for suggestions on the best bang for my buck.  I still need to calculate the power im going to need for the rack as well, just trying to figure out the cost per, i guess, watt?  Then i guess ill need some massive batteries if its going to stay running all night?  Is that even possible or is it just wishful thinking?  Im gonna guess and say i need at least 2000 watts.

Thanks guys, hope everyone had a great turkey day.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Solar

Aaron welch
A constant 2KW solar install would be prohibitively expensive. According to this calculator you would need a minimum 15KW system to run that power load using 300W panels (you would need 52 panels).

-Aaron

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 8:40 AM Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Quiet around here lately.

I know nothing about solar yet, but wanted to see if anyone on the list has experience with it.  I have a rack of servers that i want to see if its even possible to power with solar and what the cost would be.  Its costing me an arm and a leg.  I know it was expensive last i heard about it but im hoping the tech has improved and the cost has come down.  Im mainly looking for suggestions on the best bang for my buck.  I still need to calculate the power im going to need for the rack as well, just trying to figure out the cost per, i guess, watt?  Then i guess ill need some massive batteries if its going to stay running all night?  Is that even possible or is it just wishful thinking?  Im gonna guess and say i need at least 2000 watts.

Thanks guys, hope everyone had a great turkey day.

Aaron Welch
Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Solar

Lynn Dixon
I have looked into solar for my house twice.  The first time was about 4 years ago, and the second time was about 8 months ago.

It is insanely expensive at this point, even with the price drops and government incentives.  We are pretty power efficient here at home, and after running all the numbers, it was something like an 8-10 year ROI.  In todays market, solar doesn't really add much value to a home for purchasers, so unless you plan on keeping your home for longer than a decade or so, its very hard to justify on cost alone.  That changes of course, if you have a large enough yard to install a solar farm, my quotes were for roof mounted.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 11:13 AM Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From someone who spent 2 1/2 years trying to build data centers all around the world, the only place you’re going to get cheaper power then right here in Tennessee is stealing it in China. There are other clients and geographies that make it cheaper to operate the data center, but the power is still cheaper here.

-Aaron

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Nov 28, 2018, at 2:25 PM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

David Rucker
From my personal research if you simply buy the equipment and install your self you can get it down to about $1 a watt. I have seen instances where people made their own panels and push the cost down to about $0.50 a watt. On rare occasion used panels can be had in the ball park of $0.05~$0.10 a watt. Now those prices are for generation only, not counting inverters or storage. The best bang for buck storage wise is recycling old laptop/drill batteries by harvesting the Li-Ion 18650 cells and building your own bank, just search diy powerwall.

If you don't know enough about electrical to do everything your self your ROI is too far out to make it really worth it.

Which if any one has any laptop or drill batteries that they are wanting to recycle or part with I'd be happy to assist with that.

Thanks,
David R.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018, 3:07 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
From someone who spent 2 1/2 years trying to build data centers all around the world, the only place you’re going to get cheaper power then right here in Tennessee is stealing it in China. There are other clients and geographies that make it cheaper to operate the data center, but the power is still cheaper here.

[...]

When I get to the panels I'm planning on putting them near the house and not on top of. My roof angles the sun in an odd way that would lower the efficiency. I'm also planning/designing a lot of safety for my battery bank including temperature sensors and fusing every cell, similar to the way Tesla makes their packs.

I work for a company that designs and builds industrial equipment. So most of what I'm going to utilize will actually be industrial grade and fire/arc flash rated where appropriate.

Once I start making a descent amount of progress I also plans to start posting videos about my plans and processes.

Thanks,
David R.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018, 6:13 PM Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Avoid running home made power banks indoors. If you plan to do a deep cycle marine battery band, setup a shed outdoors with good ventilation and smoke/gas monitoring.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018, 6:11 PM Lynn Dixon <[hidden email] wrote:
 Better run all that DIY power generation by your homeowners insurance company.  You might be surprised if they don’t cover roof damage if you have diy installed panels...even though you have storm damage done to your roof. Same goes for if one of those diy batteries catch on fire.  Lithium batteries burn....hot and quick.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 5:51 PM David Rucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
From my personal research if you simply buy the equipment and install your self you can get it down to about $1 a watt. I have seen instances where people made their own panels and push the cost down to about $0.50 a watt. On rare occasion used panels can be had in the ball park of $0.05~$0.10 a watt. Now those prices are for generation only, not counting inverters or storage. The best bang for buck storage wise is recycling old laptop/drill batteries by harvesting the Li-Ion 18650 cells and building your own bank, just search diy powerwall.

If you don't know enough about electrical to do everything your self your ROI is too far out to make it really worth it.

Which if any one has any laptop or drill batteries that they are wanting to recycle or part with I'd be happy to assist with that.

Thanks,
David R.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018, 3:07 PM Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
From someone who spent 2 1/2 years trying to build data centers all around the world, the only place you’re going to get cheaper power then right here in Tennessee is stealing it in China. There are other clients and geographies that make it cheaper to operate the data center, but the power is still cheaper here.

[...]

David DuPre

How much will they cost?

Are they used or new?

What brand name?

What are they rated?

Thanks,

David

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Solar

Aaron welch
I will find out more details tomorrow. How many would you need for your project? I can prolly get a decent deal on them.

-Aaron

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Nov 28, 2018, at 10:05 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:

How much will they cost?

Are they used or new?

What brand name?

What are they rated?