[Chugalug] [OT?} {WebDev]

Chad Smith
Ok - potentially stupid question...

Is it possible to embed a VPN into a webpage?

Not a general purpose one, mind you, just a VPN that automagically goes to a very specific page that isn't available in your location.

To explain what I am dealing with, specifically, the school where I work in China uses a SMS (School Management System) that is hosted and located in the USA.  To use it, we have to use a VPN, which is fine, the school's set up to handle that.  The problem comes from parents needing to log into the system to view their children's grades, etc.  They would also need a VPN.

My thought is, what if we could set up some sort of hosted VPN powered server or something (please forgive my ignorant terminology) that we could embed a window to on our website, so parents could just go to (not the actual site) ourchinaschool.com/ParentLogin - and then they would given the login screen from the VPN'ed server on our school campus.

I guess it would be like an embedded virtual machine.... maybe.  idk.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: [Chugalug] [OT?} {WebDev]

Dave Brockman
On 10/17/2018 11:23 PM, Chad Smith wrote:
> Ok - potentially stupid question...
>
> Is it possible to embed a VPN into a webpage?

Not exactly.

> My thought is, what if we could set up some sort of hosted VPN powered
> server or something (please forgive my ignorant terminology) that we
> could embed a window to on our website, so parents could just go to (not
> the actual site) ourchinaschool.com/ParentLogin
> <http://ourchinaschool.com/ParentLogin> - and then they would given the
> login screen from the VPN'ed server on our school campus.

You could install nginx on a server that can terminate the VPN, and use
nginx to proxy the site across the VPN.

Cheers,

-Dave

Re: [Chugalug] [OT?} {WebDev]

Chad Smith
Would something like CGIProxy work?  or would that just leave the webserver open to whatever people wanted to look up?

- Chad W. Smith

On 10/18/2018 12:57 AM, Chad Smith wrote:
> Would something like CGIProxy work?  or would that just leave the
> webserver open to whatever people wanted to look up?

Possibly, I haven't used CGIProxy in a large number of years.  I should
also mention that you should test the site through a proxy before you
start building a solution.  There are certain websites that don't play
well with proxies.  Unifi is like that, about 80% of it can be proxied
to the normal 443 port.  Maps and guest portal configuration do not play
well.

Regards,

-Dave