[Chugalug] OT: Windows 10 tips?

Unkmar
I'm not here to bash windows. But, I really hate Windows. It now has multiple desktop support, can I swap them conveniently like in Linux?
What is with these washed out title bars? I can't tell where the title bar ends and the window begins? Hey, I can set the color of the title bar for only the ACTIVE Window? What about the inactive?
Where is the start menu items? I have icons for things I can't remove because the aren't installed.

I will have many more frustrations later as I encounter them.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 10 tips?

Chad Smith
Unkmar - you might like High Contrast Mode.

it's not as customizable as Linux obviously, but it's something.

- Chad W. Smith

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 8:05 PM Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I love my Windows 10, but I can understand why it might frustrate you.

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018, 6:41 PM Unkmar <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not here to bash windows. But, I really hate Windows. It now has multiple desktop support, can I swap them conveniently like in Linux?
What is with these washed out title bars? I can't tell where the title bar ends and the window begins? Hey, I can set the color of the title bar for only the ACTIVE Window? What about the inactive?
Where is the start menu items? I have icons for things I can't remove because the aren't installed.

I will have many more frustrations later as I encounter them.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 10 tips?

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 10 tips?

Mike Harrison-4
Just setup a Win10 laptop for someone. also boots Linux Mint with Cinnamon. Libre office, VLC, Gimp, Firefox and Chrome on both. Had to use CLI/cmd on Win10 to enable Guest user. WTF!?! And Win10 wants to identify users somehow within the Microsoft account ecosystem. Took extra steps to just have a Win10 local user not tied to accounts. (This laptop needs to be used by several people/roles at a church). So far, for the intended uses, Linux Mint is winning. They seem to like it and have no clue what it is.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 10 tips?

Phil Sieg
I am reading this on a Lenovo laptop running Linux Mint/Cinnamon. FTW.

Phil

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 12:09 PM, Michael Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just setup a Win10 laptop for someone. also boots Linux Mint with Cinnamon. Libre office, VLC, Gimp, Firefox and Chrome on both. Had to use CLI/cmd on Win10 to enable Guest user. WTF!?! And Win10 wants to identify users somehow within the Microsoft account ecosystem. Took extra steps to just have a Win10 local user not tied to accounts. (This laptop needs to be used by several people/roles at a church). So far, for the intended uses, Linux Mint is winning. They seem to like it and have no clue what it is.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 10 tips?

JustinMcAfee
I've converted 3 Win10 users to Mint so far with little to no trouble. One had an issue with not deleting old Kernels, but he did like 3 minutes of googling, dropped to shell and deleted all the kernels he wasn't using, and let apt and grub sort it out. I still haven't figured out how he had 13 kernels downloaded, but he's a smart dude and was probably fooling around.

The other 2, do 99.9% of things in the browser, and they can't tell the difference in 10 and mint. They just treat it like win7.

Justin McAfee, cipher6
PGP Public Key:
https://flowcrypt.com/pub/justinamcafee
To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider *
* whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,       *
* foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. *

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.