[Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

12

[Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

John Aldrich
Hmm... according to
http://bgr.com/2014/01/13/microsoft-windows-9-release-date/ the next
release of Windows, Windows 9, AKA Threshold, is supposed to be to
Windows 8 what Windows 7 was to Vista. I have to admit, Win7 is an
improvement over Vista, but still...
Have to wonder if this is going to be the beginning of the end of MS
Windows or if Microsoft will be able to pull another rabbit out of
their hat.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

Dan Lyke
On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 13:22:47 -0500
John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Have to wonder if this is going to be the beginning of the end of MS
> Windows or if Microsoft will be able to pull another rabbit out of
> their hat.

z/OS, the successor to the IBM OS/3x0 operating systems, is still a
thing.

I suspect that Windows will continue to have a similar lifecycle.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

Well, if they keep to their every other OS is good pattern, thus should be the good one.

On Jan 14, 2014 1:27 PM, "John Aldrich" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hmm... according to http://bgr.com/2014/01/13/microsoft-windows-9-release-date/ the next release of Windows, Windows 9, AKA Threshold, is supposed to be to Windows 8 what Windows 7 was to Vista. I have to admit, Win7 is an improvement over Vista, but still...
Have to wonder if this is going to be the beginning of the end of MS Windows or if Microsoft will be able to pull another rabbit out of their hat.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

Chad Smith
That does seem to be the pattern - at least going back to Windows 98 SE.  I'm not sure if 98  or 95 was "bad" in this scenario.  (Or if 98 and 98 SE were considered 2 different OSes.)

98 SE Good
ME Bad
XP Good
Vista Bad
Win 7 Good
Win 8 Bad

- Chad W. Smith

wes

Quoting Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]>:

> Well, if they keep to their every other OS is good pattern, thus should be
> the good one.

Kinda what I was thinking. You know, if Microsoft were smart, they'd
just skip every other release. ;)

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM, John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Kinda what I was thinking. You know, if Microsoft were smart, they'd just
> skip every other release. ;)

But if they didn't have the public feedback telling them the release
sucked, they'd never fix it.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

Ed King
xenix no comment
dos 3 good
dos 4 bad

Quoting Dan Lyke <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM, John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Kinda what I was thinking. You know, if Microsoft were smart, they'd just
>> skip every other release. ;)
>
> But if they didn't have the public feedback telling them the release
> sucked, they'd never fix it.

True, but by now you'd think they would know every other release sucks! :D

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

John Aldrich-2
On Tue January 14 2014 5:33:32 PM Bret McHone wrote:
> What you are missing is *how* they find out every other release sucks. The
> user base tells them how it sucks then they fix it in the next release...
> in theory.

Ah. Good point. :)

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

But DOS kinda breaked the cycle - DOS 5, 6, 6.2 and 6.22 were good. WFW 3.11 was good. 95 was good, once you got the drivers and everything stable (I used it for classic retro gaming), and I really liked Windows 2000. But everyone else got the rest. :)

" ' With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on we’re all damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith
- Huntsville, Alabama metropolitan area USA

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:
xenix no comment
dos 3 good
dos 4 bad

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

Chad Smith
Sold to end users for use on Personal Computers not hooked directly to a server.

Yes, XP was based on NT - but it was marketed as, and perceived by the public as - the successor of ME, not of NT.

95 > 98 > ME > XP > Vista > 7 > 8

NT / 3.11 / 2000 / 2003... that's a different line.

If the title "Server" was included in the main marketing materials as a part of the title of the OS, it's not a part of 95 - 8.1 line.

- Chad W. Smith

On 5/28/2014 6:56 PM, Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
> Windows XP switched to the NT codebase, descending from Windows 2000.
> How is XP not a client OS? Your word usage is very ambiguous.

> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     2000 / NT / etc were not end user OSes.  They were server/client
>     OSes.  They are outside of the scope of the pattern.  Also, you
>     totally graverobbed this thread.  lol

2000 was the official move to NT codebase, and 2000 Pro was supposed to
be the end-user version.  Users didn't find it "shiny" enough, so MS
figured out to bend end-users over even more with
Home/Basic/Premium/Ultimate BS beginning with XP.  And that thread
covered a multitude of non-end-user OS variants, even Xenix to keep it
on topic here :)

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

Stephen Kraus
I can tolerate Windows 8, so long as its on a Tablet. Otherwise, its worthless.

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/28/2014 6:56 PM, Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
> Windows XP switched to the NT codebase, descending from Windows 2000.
> How is XP not a client OS? Your word usage is very ambiguous.

> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     2000 / NT / etc were not end user OSes.  They were server/client
>     OSes.  They are outside of the scope of the pattern.  Also, you
>     totally graverobbed this thread.  lol

2000 was the official move to NT codebase, and 2000 Pro was supposed to
be the end-user version.  Users didn't find it "shiny" enough, so MS
figured out to bend end-users over even more with
Home/Basic/Premium/Ultimate BS beginning with XP.  And that thread
covered a multitude of non-end-user OS variants, even Xenix to keep it
on topic here :)

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

Dave Brockman
On 5/29/2014 12:08 AM, Stephen Kraus wrote:
> I can tolerate Windows 8, so long as its on a Tablet. Otherwise, its
> worthless.

I can semi-function on the server version with Classic Shell.  The
entire concept of a touch-screen interface on a server is just fucking
stupid.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Windows 9 "Threshold"

Stephen Kraus
Dave, I wholly agree. We have two Windows Server 2012 boxes, and while they've MASSIVELY simplified administering it, the Metro GUI is annoying as all get out.