[Chugalug] OT: Yet another PF Sense question

[Chugalug] OT: Yet another PF Sense question

Andy Burnett
I was tinkering in one of my servers and upon rebooting, the server now has
an "(incomplete)" MAC address entry in my PF Sense ARP table.  I reverted
the changes I made in hopes that would fix things, but it didn't help.  I
tried changing ports on the switch and even connecting the server directly
to the router (have four ports on the routerbox), but no change.  Has anyone
experienced this behavior before?  Some quick Googling suggested that an
"(incomplete)" entry is caused by the router not being able to assign the L2
MAC address to the appropriate L3 IP address.  That being said, I haven't
found much on how to resolve the issue.  Any ideas?

--
Sent from: http://chugalug.1100489.n5.nabble.com/

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Yet another PF Sense question

Dave Brockman
On 12/1/2017 6:59 AM, Andy Burnett wrote:
> I was tinkering in one of my servers and upon rebooting, the server now has
> an "(incomplete)" MAC address entry in my PF Sense ARP table.  I reverted
> the changes I made in hopes that would fix things, but it didn't help.  I
> tried changing ports on the switch and even connecting the server directly
> to the router (have four ports on the routerbox), but no change.  Has anyone
> experienced this behavior before?  Some quick Googling suggested that an
> "(incomplete)" entry is caused by the router not being able to assign the L2
> MAC address to the appropriate L3 IP address.  That being said, I haven't
> found much on how to resolve the issue.  Any ideas?

Does your switch see a full MAC address for the server?  Do you have an
IP conflict?  Do you have a static ARP entry defined?  I had some POS
Netgear NICs three or four lifetimes ago that only put 40 bits on the
wire, and I had some 3Com 3c905c-tx NICs with the same MAC address, but
I don't think either of those apply to you, in 2017.

Re: [Chugalug] OT: Yet another PF Sense question

Andy Burnett
Thanks for the good suggestions, Dave.  I finally solved the problem and it
had nothing to do with PF Sense after all.  I find often that the root cause
of a Linux related issue has nothing to do with the symptoms...

Long story short, I updated my kernel to 4.4.0 and the realtek r8168 driver
I had compiled a year ago was no longer compatible.  The problem didn't
manifest itself until I rebooted.

Linux does a great job making sure you're always learning, right??

--
Sent from: http://chugalug.1100489.n5.nabble.com/