[Chugalug] OT: pfsense question

12

[Chugalug] OT: pfsense question

Nick Smith
pfsense recently started registering my gig ports as 100 meg ports.
epb said to try replacing the cable which i have several times and it always just registers 100 megs.
Ive made no config changes to pfsense at all.
I tried manually selecting the speed, which they do not recommend and set it to a gig and i lost all connection altogether and had to restore my config from a backup.
I have an intel card with dual gig nics, i dont have the model # on hand.

What else can i troubleshoot with this?  EPB says im showing up as my port is configured as 100 megs instead of a gig and norhing has changed on my end.

I did upgrade from 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 several days ago but ive never had anything like this happen before.  Not sure how easy it would be to roll back to test that though....

Anyone have any ideas?

wes

wes

Re: [Chugalug] OT: pfsense question

wes
He did that. It dropped the connection entirely.

That is consistent with my experience with forcing the connection type. Auto-sense doesn't just fail for no reason.

-wes

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have tried several ports on my switches (GS116Ev2) and its the same thing, it does show up in the switch as 100 megs even though its a gig port.
This only started happening after my upgrade of pfsense, i guess i should try to roll back at this point.  Its the only thing thats changed. Just surprised an update did this.

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Alex Smith (K4RNT) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Phil Sieg
I have become suspicious of pfsense since they sold out and went private.  They killed my ebay auctions (literally) and killed 32 bit support.

Phil Sieg
Founder
ring-u llc
Phone: 423.567.4888
Mobile: 423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

On Nov 19, 2017, at 8:26 PM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Lynn Dixon
You can thank NetGate for that Phil.  I am not sure I like the direction the pfSense project (is it still a project at this point?) has taken since the whole Netgate debacle.

I've been a fan of pfSense for a long time, but these past few decisions have me really questioning the direction.

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 8:59 PM, Phil Sieg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have become suspicious of pfsense since they sold out and went private.  They killed my ebay auctions (literally) and killed 32 bit support.

Phil Sieg
Founder
ring-u llc
Phone: <a href="tel:(423)%20567-4888" value="+14235674888" target="_blank">423.567.4888
Mobile: <a href="tel:(423)%20331-0725" value="+14233310725" target="_blank">423.331.0725

[...]

Doesnt look like its easy to roll back.
Has everyone gone with something else besides pfsense?

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm using pfSense still.  I had an issue when I upgraded to 2.4.0. The upgrade process jacked up the kernel modules and my NICs weren't recognized at all.

IT should be fairly easy to roll back.  Take a backup from the UI of your environment,  and the just reinstall an older version.   Then restore your backup and reboot.

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

For some reason i can only find 2.3.5 instead of 2.4.0.  I can try to roll back to that and upgrade to 2.4.0 again maybe.

Does anyone have any experience with visualizing pfsense?  Do you see any performance hit when you do? good or bad idea? Would need to handle my gig connection from epb.

Been meaning to upgrade the hardware on my pfsense box and i have a new server but not sure i want to dedicate all the hardware to just pfsense.

Network card options i have are the built in dell qlogic netextreme ports and a quad intel gig card. Im leaning toward the intel card but curious if anyone has experience with the netextreme cards for this purpose.

Thanks for the help.

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dean Warren
Ahem...<Loud speaker crackling...> Calling Phil Sieg and Arron Welch!! Emergency Firewall Equipment needed!! I repeat Emergency Firewall equipment Needed...Please contact Nick Smith for requirements and budget constraints....That is all..<loud feedback chirp>,<click>.

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Heh.

Thank’s Dean. Pretty sure Nick is looking for the big brother of what I usually offer.

Phil Sieg
Founder
ring-u llc
www.ring-u.com
[hidden email]

On Nov 20, 2017, at 10:40 AM, Dean Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Phone: <a href="tel:(423)%20567-4888" value="+14235674888" target="_blank" class="">423.567.4888
Mobile: <a href="tel:(423)%20331-0725" value="+14233310725" target="_blank" class="">423.331.0725

[...]

I doubt I will abandon pfSense, at least until a suitable open source replacement arrives.

However, I will likely download the last “Good Versions” and store them to be used on all of my firewall builds. Since I don’t use packages or plug-ins, just the bare system this should be satisfactory.

Might be time to start playing with OPNsense.

[...]

Hey Phil,
Don't underestimate the power of the Atom! ..Err..atom processers. I am loving my little pfsense boxen!
Happy Turkey week to everyone!

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Phil Sieg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Good,

Give us an update and review once you have tinkered with it.