[Chugalug] Online Backup Options

John Alcock
Morning,

Today I am using Crashplan.

My current setup at home is that all my pictures get saved on my NAS at home.  I have a Linux Box with the Crashplan client that has my pictures folder mounted.  Automagically everything gets sent to CrashPlan.

Crashplan is going away as most knows.

Since I have my own datacenter with 40 Gigs of Internet Access and I can put up a server with several TB of drive space, I can fulfill my requirement of off-site backup.

Of course I could setup a rsync client and send to the server in my datacenter.  However, I really want to have it more transparent, especially the client.

I was thinking something like owncloud that has both a server and client mechnisim.  I am also looking at duplicati which has a client and looks like the server can be generic (ftp/webdav interface, etc.)

Does anyone have any thoughts?

John

Re: [Chugalug] Online Backup Options

Jason Brown-2
I was very happy with Crashplan for client backups, it just worked (even if it was a memory hog).

Duplicati is the closest thing I have found to the functionality I got with the CrashPlan client but I'm just getting started with it. Finding configuration options like mail settings on events, or even reading the logs has been non intuitive.

If you find something better, let us know!

The Crashplan features I really miss are the version tracking / back up when files change.  Rolling back an hour was easy.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:49 AM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Lynn Dixon
Just be careful with Duplicati.  It poops the bed when it comes to large datasets.  Its a known issue.

https://github.com/duplicati/duplicati/issues/2544#issuecomment-366439875

In my opinion, their database implementation needs.....work.  Its using SQLite3.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:07 AM, Jason Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

William D. Roush

Yeah I asked when they announced it, client and P2P backups will die.

Re: [Chugalug] Online Backup Options

Dave Brockman
On 2/20/2018 3:25 PM, William Roush wrote:
> Yeah I asked when they announced it, client and P2P backups will die.

Does that mean I will finally stop getting notification from those test
machines I set up that haven't backed up in 7 years?  Hooray!

--dtb

Re: [Chugalug] Online Backup Options

William D. Roush
Silver lining in everything I guess lol.

I moved to Duplicity, I don't back up a ton of files and do it over SFTP which is pretty nice.

Not as easy to have friends back up to me though. ☹

Re: [Chugalug] Online Backup Options

Andy Burnett
If you do go down the Owncloud route, I recommend using Nextcloud instead.  A
few of the core Owncloud developers got fed up with the corporatization of
Owncloud and spun off Nextcloud from the codebase.  I switched my server
over about six months ago and haven't looked back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nextcloud#History_of_the_fork
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nextcloud#History_of_the_fork>

https://nextcloud.com/ <https://nextcloud.com/>

--