[Chugalug] Open Source at Chatt. Tech Council Tomorrow.

[Chugalug] Open Source at Chatt. Tech Council Tomorrow.

Mike Harrison

Panelists announced:

Adam Tootle  Software Engineer at LifeKraze
Lee Adkins Senior Software Engineer at LifeKraze
Alan Moss Software Developer EPB
Brian Hooper Director on the Release and Deployment Team Unum
Andrew Pierce Senior Developer on the CaseSentry Team for ShoreGroup based in NY
Cory D. Wiles Senior iOS Developer Salesforce

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/7578967897?ref=ebtnebtckt
$20 for non-members. free for members

Chattanooga Technology Council
Wednesday, September 18, 2013 from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM (EDT)
at 100 Cherokee Ave.
Chattanooga, TN

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source at Chatt. Tech Council Tomorrow.

Ed King
are any of those panelist part of Chugalug?   LifeKraze and the name Andrew Pierce seems to ring a bell...    or maybe its just tinnitus

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013, Ed King wrote:
> are any of those panelist part of Chugalug?   LifeKraze and the name Andrew Pierce seems to ring a
> bell...    or maybe its just tinnitus

I know Andrew Pierce, neat guy.
The rest are unknown to me, but might be lurking..

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source at Chatt. Tech Council Tomorrow.

Andrew Pierce
Yes, I am a CHUGALUG guy. I got invited to be a part of this panel though my association with noogaJS, our new JavaScript user group that has our first meeting next Tuesday. And you are all invited to join that. Our web site is http://noogajs.org.

I get the feeling from this mailing list there is a bit of ideology mismatch between CHUGALUG and the CTC. I understand this and I'm fine with it. In my opinion, the people on this list are pretty hardcore Linux, Open Source, Hacker, Maker, and network guys. I know Mike H. has been doing internet services since before a lot of people on the CTC even knew what email was. And there are a lot of really smart folks on this list that I know personally like ET.

The CTC is most definitely lacking in technical expertise. It is pretty much (and this is a generalization) made up of a lot of business people whose business happens to be IT. There are a lot of manager types in that group and there are people who are just recruiters and don't really know technology.

I worked at Unum for 14 years. In that time, I used all the corporate shit that Microsoft and IBM sold us. I was a voice crying in the wilderness that we could save a ton of money by implementing some open source software, even if all we did was stand up some Linux-based file and print servers. I was always shut down with the response that, "we have a corporate policy against any open source software." Finally, in my last year there, I got Linux blessed as a supported OS and now, they are in the process of migrating all their AIX-based software over to Linux.

If you show up tomorrow, you won't hear anything earth shattering. Probably nothing you don't already know. I think the goal of the meeting is to try to help the manager types understand that they can indeed utilize open source in the enterprise which is a very worthwhile discussion. They need to realize that open source is not just for hackers, geeks, and startups.

And if you have any input for things I ought to bring up in my short time on the panel, let me know. The meeting is scheduled for an hour so there won't be anything in-depth on any topic.

David Tucker will also be there and he's worth meeting. He won a Webby award this year for his creation of the iPad Table (http://davidtucker.net/articles/ipad-table-intro/) . Super smart guy and October speaker at noogaJS.

From: Andrew Pierce <[hidden email]>
I worked at Unum for 14 years. In that time, I used all the corporate shit that Microsoft and IBM sold us. I was a voice crying in the wilderness that we could save a ton of money by implementing some open source software, even if all we did was stand up some Linux-based file and print servers. I was always shut down with the response that, "we have a corporate policy against any open source software." Finally, in my last year there, I got Linux blessed as a supported OS and now, they are in the process of migrating all their AIX-based software over to Linux.

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source at Chatt. Tech Council Tomorrow.

Alan
Yeah, I'm a lurker... Good to see Chugalug represent!

-Alan